Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Morning techy types::bigsmile:

Totally new to this so who does the best mobile internet dongle thingies?

Now I (think) I realise that's a 'how longs a piece of string' question, so...

We will be using it around the UK only for now, emails, FUN and RVOC, other minor browsing, where's the nearest site kinda thing, not downloading movies/music etc, simple stuff. So what we'd like to know is best UK coverage, better prices, where's best to buy, any tips really for a complete novice::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Morning Si

We have a vodaphone dongle.. cost £30 of play.com and it came with £15 of time. Still have £8.34 left on it 2 1/2 years on.. we use it on the small Dell notepad we use in the RV.. so it is not used a lot.. but we need to activate it every 8 weeks to keep the credit.. so as long as you log on to the system and see what your balance is then the credit rolls on and on and of course you can put more money on to it if need be.

Works OK for us when we are away and need a quick use of the computer on line.. but we also have the IPHON4 and that allows internet access / email etc., .. the Vodaphone dongle is just another tool we use as and when.

Bob

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We user a "3" MiFi dongle with a "3" Pay As You Go data Sim card. Gives us 3gb of download which lasts for up to 90 days. We have used ours throughout the U.K. without any problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
3 Dongle evry time

Hi we have a "3" pay as you go, very easy to install worked first time within 2 minutes of plugging in and coverage up to now has been excellent,

VODAFONE what a rip off ...it would not install so we contacted support they said do this and that still would not install, then it was xmas so they were shut then we tried again and then again until the 30 day expired so they wanted to charge us to top up agin and we had not even installed it let alone used it,they will not accept it back until we have credit on it, what a rip off... ah that feels better rant over::bigsmile:

Carol

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I use my O2 blackberry as a dongle I get 500MB (whatever that is) a month as part of my £25 a month package and it works very well:thumb:

Happy Daze

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
we user a "3" mifi dongle with a "3" pay as you go data sim card. Gives us 3gb of download which lasts for up to 90 days. We have used ours throughout the u.k. Without any problems.

same here. Got mifi from ebay and sim card from amazon

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
i have a vodafone dongle, credit lasts for 30 days only. it is bloody useless, very rarely picks up 3G ,,,, Nearly always on GPRS which is that slow,it would be quicker to run round with the email and hand it to the person yourself.

i am going to try 3 next.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we still have the original credit on it

i have a vodafone dongle, credit lasts for 30 days only. it is bloody useless, very rarely picks up 3G ,,,, Nearly always on GPRS which is that slow,it would be quicker to run round with the email and hand it to the person yourself.

As I said we still have £8 plus or the original credit on the dongle.. works Ok for us.. bit slow at time, but as long as we log on every 6 to 8 weeks it works OK.

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As I said we still have £8 plus or the original credit on the dongle.. works Ok for us.. bit slow at time, but as long as we log on every 6 to 8 weeks it works OK.

Bob

They changed the plans some time ago Bob and now all of them do a £10 a month minimum payg deal, only the older dongles are still on the old tarrifs, the new dongles are a lot faster as well. It also caught me out as well cos when i updated my dongle it was to the new time contract rather than the old 'use it when you want ' type payg

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have a '3' dongle and a T-mobile dongle.
'3' is on contract which i use over here and the T-mobile i use for roaming in europe on their roaming policy

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have just left Vodafone after years with them with 3 separate monthly contracts.
Service has dropped but worst their signal is rubbish, even in town centres the 3G does not work. I have to switch the 3g off to get a very slow gprs connection.

So on "3" now and have the "One Plan" with all you can eat data. NO LIMITS........

1000's of text and voice calls included, but the important thing for us is data.

Signal has been very good almost everywhere with fast 3G connection. I can use my iphone as a "hotspot" and connect 4 or 5 devices to it and the net, by wifi.

The other weekend in the van I was watching live sky sports on my ipad and the wife was watching TV news online at the same time on her netbook.... streaming no probs... Brilliant..

I am now not using my 3 Mifi anymore, the iphone with all you can eat data means I no longer have to buy data top ups..

£25 per month....:thumb::thumb:

Callum

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
For those using a 3 MiFi and data Sim this looks a pretty good deal.

Link Removed

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We use our O2 phones they are on contract and we have a broadband 'bolt on' works very well 3G is the fastest but emails etc can be downloaded where ever there is a signal which is most places UK or Europe - also find there techy back up is very good if a glich occures which seems very seldom

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I have used Vodafone and three, I found voda expensive and with credit only lasting 30 days (unless you can find one of the old unlimited dongles) very annoying and restrictive. I now use a unlocked dongle and I can use whoever suits me but I mostly use three but I do not top up, I just buy a few new Three 3g sims, usualy from amazon for about £8 to £9 if you keep a beady eye out:Eeek: so works out quite cheap and the credit lasts for 3 months:thumb:

These are the ones I buy (not on offer at the moment) [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003Z0T3X2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KQF7RU&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0HGP355XAQSYQCHH5280"]http://www.amazon.co.uk[/ame]

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We use T-mobile dongles. Work anywhere there's a phone signal. £15 per 30 days. (£2 & £7 available for a day or week). £15 is for 1gb which lasts 2/3 days if we go silly with youtube etc., but their fair-use policy means you are never cut off: for personal family reasons we are stuck in one spot at the moment and spend most of the day on MHF,banking, anything we need really except downloading films etc. which we're not bothered about. Then son scrounges one of the laptops and is on it most of the night. So, for £15 for 30 days we could be on the internet 24 hours a day if needs be. This has been the cheapest and best option for us for the last couple of years. :Smile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I have a '3' dongle and a T-mobile dongle.
'3' is on contract which i use over here and the T-mobile i use for roaming in europe on their roaming policy

We haven't used our T-mobile dongles when we're in France, could you give me an idea of the cost on roaming? Thanks! :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We bought a Vodaphone dongle last year to try on a 6 week trip along the south coast and up the east coast uk.

What a waste of money it was totally useless only got a decent signal once in the whole 6 weeks never picked up 3g and eat all the credit Crap. Use the BB phone on O2 as a tether now, not great but far superior to the vodaphone dongle.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Bob
the older ones, your's and mine and as rare as hens teeth, have no expiry period whereas the newer versions expire after 30 days... credit used or not.

still got a couple of quid on mine after 3 years and £15 top-up should see another 3 or 4 years with my current usage.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hiya Simon I also find the best one in the UK is the 3 mi-fi dongle, I also have an O2 and Vodaphone but rarely use them as the 3 unit generally is much faster :thumb:

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Well folks, thanks for the input, and.......

We do need another mobile and, we went into Soilihul and had a chat with 3 and Sarah's current mobile provider T mobile.

3, 2000 minutes chat, 5000 texts (what use is that, I've sent about 5 in the last 6-7 years:ROFLMAO:), AND unlimited tinternet using the phone as a tether(new word learned today::bigsmile:), and I suspect the same as Callum, £25 all in, OK tied for 2 years but it sounded good to me, and I hate spending money on technology, and best of all, I'm posting via 3 now, on our new netbook::bigsmile:

T mobile, had to laugh, poor sales chap, best he could do was £36:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, cheers again folks for your input:thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
For those using a 3 MiFi and data Sim this looks a pretty good deal.

Link Removed

thankyou Brisey just ordered one, they also have one for the Ipad Iphone etc

:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well folks, thanks for the input, and.......

We do need another mobile and, we went into Soilihul and had a chat with 3 and Sarah's current mobile provider T mobile.

3, 2000 minutes chat, 5000 texts (what use is that, I've sent about 5 in the last 6-7 years:ROFLMAO:), AND unlimited tinternet using the phone as a tether(new word learned today::bigsmile:), and I suspect the same as Callum, £25 all in, OK tied for 2 years but it sounded good to me, and I hate spending money on technology, and best of all, I'm posting via 3 now, on our new netbook::bigsmile:

T mobile, had to laugh, poor sales chap, best he could do was £36:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, cheers again folks for your input:thumb:

Simon there has been a deal on e bay , not sure if its there now, a 3 data sim card with 3 months (3gb) data for a tenner real value :thumb:

Have amended this post , sorry if it was misleading

Larry

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have the 3 mifi too. Unlocked . We find it the best coverage , even in the Yorkshire Dales.::bigsmile:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We user a "3" MiFi dongle with a "3" Pay As You Go data Sim card. Gives us 3gb of download which lasts for up to 90 days. We have used ours throughout the U.K. without any problems.

Mine arrived today, very fast delivery and free too

thank you again :thumb::thumb:

Kath

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
3 are the best ones.

02 are well.......i won't waste my breath.

Definitely recommend 3 - i was put onto it by someone who was a fulltimer web design/seo lad who is always online. Never had a problem with it.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Morning techy types::bigsmile:

Totally new to this so who does the best mobile internet dongle thingies?

Now I (think) I realise that's a 'how longs a piece of string' question, so...

We will be using it around the UK only for now, emails, FUN and RVOC, other minor browsing, where's the nearest site kinda thing, not downloading movies/music etc, simple stuff. So what we'd like to know is best UK coverage, better prices, where's best to buy, any tips really for a complete novice::bigsmile:

We use a Vodafone timeless dongle and have done for 4 years. The timeless means the money is only taken off your credit as you use it and not monthly. It costs roughly £15 a year and we use about 300 minutes. Try the internet for a secondhand unit as they are no longer sold new.:thumb:

robbc

Free Member
Apr 24, 2011
telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Same Same

WE did go to 3 and its been brilliant

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back