Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Guys bare with me not technical I have a laptop that I want to take on my travels in the uk, I want to get access to the internet and such what do I need if I can't access wifi

Thanks Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You have 2 choices - USB Dongle and MiFi.

USB dongle plugs into, you guessed it, a USB port. So services one computer.

A MiFi is similar but radiates WiFi so you connect up to 5 devices which have WiFi.

Both you plug in a SIM to a data provider.

Go google Mobile Broadband for providers.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
If its only the UK, no need to buy anything! Just stop outside or go into McDonalds . Many pubs and camp sites have free WiFi.

colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Or if youve got a reasonably modern mobile phone and a tariff that includes internet use that as a wifi hotspot ( but watch out or it will cost a bomb if you use it a lot best to use for a quick look at the net or to check e-mails only)

David

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Guys bare with me not technical I have a laptop that I want to take on my travels in the uk, I want to get access to the internet and such what do I need if I can't access wifi

Thanks Bill

Is your motorhome made of metal or plastic?

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i use Huawei wifi on 3 , seems to be ok on payg, but as the others say there are always options :Smile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
i use Huawei wifi on 3 , seems to be ok on payg, but as the others say there are always options :Smile:

I tried 3 and it was pretty good for speed. However, when I came to top-up, the 3Gb option went down from 3 month validity to only a month. Useless. Instead I'm going for the Europsim. At €3 per day for 0.5Gb, it is actually not a bad deal to roam with an Italian SIM in the UK compared to buying a UK card, and, of course, it works in other countries, too.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i use the europasim for abroad but have a t mobile data sim for the uk its a pay as u go i have had it for years so not sure they are still available but it charges £2 a day you get a offer of 3 days for the price of 2 days and i think its around 7 for a week these i use in a mifi rather than a dongle

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I tried 3 and it was pretty good for speed. However, when I came to top-up, the 3Gb option went down from 3 month validity to only a month. Useless. Instead I'm going for the Europsim. At €3 per day for 0.5Gb, it is actually not a bad deal to roam with an Italian SIM in the UK compared to buying a UK card, and, of course, it works in other countries, too.

Depends if you need the 0.5gb or less. At the moment 3 1gb (1MONTH) cards are £3.99 so Im going to use and throw away 21euros a week for europa sim/£3.99 for 3:thumb:

David

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have been on the 3 website but all i can c at 1gig is 7.50 a month ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Now that 3 are becoming available for use in France for no extra charge the same as UK got to be worth thinking about, I would not go down the route of dongle a bit old fashioned now the MIFI is much more versatile .

I have been on 3 MIFI for a few years now, last year I went over my data while away in the motorhome they charged me £15, as I only use it when we are away in the van some months it is not used at all.

I was paying £10. For 1 gig, upshot was I complained said I was leaving and was offered it for £8 for 3 gig, So if you are on a monthly contract which is up worth negotiating a better deal.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
PC World sell 1gb sims for £3.99 cheaper than a top up:thumb:

David

Any idea if they expire a certain time after you first use them?

The PC World website is living up to it's reputation of omitting at least one vital piece of information per product. :Doh:

The top-ups all have time limits on them, so I'm guessing these do too.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Any idea if they expire a certain time after you first use them?

The PC World website is living up to it's reputation of omitting at least one vital piece of information per product. :Doh:

The top-ups all have time limits on them, so I'm guessing these do too.
they expire at one month after first use or 1gb, whichever you get to first

the 3gb for 3 months sims are good value if you can find them on ebay at a sensible price too. i picked up a few for under £10 each

they also do a 12month 12gb sim which was about £50 last time i looked

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Are the PC world sims on 3 so they can be used in France at uk rates from July 1st ?

Also i have mifi it covers all 3 devices we may have running when away but it only works while its plugged into my laptop if i put it solo the other devices still work off the mifi which is fully charged but not my laptop, it wont pick it up unless connected by usb to it is this normal ?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
It is worth checking out:

motorhomewifi.com

They're really knowledgeable about these things and always very helpful.

I got their europasim and wifi gadget thingy for using when in Europe. It works out at about £2.50 per day anywhere in Europe for 500 meg, but you only pay on the days you use it and any credits last for a year I think.

It does work in England, but I reckon if you just need it for England then there will be better deals to be had, but I'm sure they'll know.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
just got a EE sim for my mifi , 10gb of data and £15 of calls valid for 3 months , £15:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back