Don’t renew your mobile contact (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Our 3 contact would of finished tomorrow , so called 3 and was looking at increasing our Data from 12 to 30GB.
We agreed the price, and used MySpace in which I could view the contact live with the operator.
On the terms and conditions, they wanted £2 per day roaming charge !
On seeing this we stopped the process!
Having raised my objection at this charge, I was told leave the old contract in place and there would be NO roaming charges.
As I usually get a better deal after 2 years, and this was going to be better, if we could roam, but just imagine when we arrived in France and found our extra data came with a hefty cost.
So just a heads up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What you need to work out is what the cost will be to pay for roaming when away compared to how much you are paying for the old contract compared to the new one for the same gb. You may find it more 'economical' to get a new contract via a third party reseller (instead of direct with Three as they are a lot more expensive) and then put what you've saved towards any possible roaming charges or a sim for when you are away.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Virgin mobile and O2 (both part of the same company now) have recently announced that they will not be introducing roaming charges should you want to upgrade to more data without incurring roaming charges.
Yes, as a long standing Virgin Mobile customer, very pleased by the recent announcement, especially as we have 3 of their sims live at the moment. :giggle: (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, as a long standing Virgin Mobile customer, very pleased by the recent announcement, especially as we have 3 of their sims live at the moment. :giggle: (y)
OooOOOoooOOOO .... wanna sell one? 😜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Some providers are doing ‘deals’ where you buy data for use abroad x amount for y days.

Im with Virgin and was bombarded daily by a call centre lying to me saying that my contract was coming to an end and they could offer me a better deal. I asked them to tell me what my deal was and how were they going to better it, they didn’t know. Total lies.
My deal is a 30 day rolling contract with 100gb, 5000mins and unlimited txts @£10.00 per month. I ended up ringing Virgin and threatening to contact the police/ ombudsman/ news media etc. They stopped immediately.
The idea was to get me into a deal without any free roaming so be aware with any new deals.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I had used up 10gb over the holidays so I checked the Id mobile app and got 30gb for the same price!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't understand why anyone has a 'Contract' nowadays when you have firms like Giffgaff and Smarty who do excellent sim only deals which you can change from month to month to suit your needs.
The 30 day ones work out expensive if you want a fair bit of data, we use our phones to tether as we don't have a landline/broadband/fibre, just mobile phones so need more than those who have other ways of getting data.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I don't understand why anyone has a 'Contract' nowadays when you have firms like Giffgaff and Smarty who do excellent sim only deals which you can change from month to month to suit your needs.
I believe Voxi, and probably a few others do the same too.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I agree unless you are on Sky which rolls your unused data and is what I've been posting on and using tv etc for the last month in Spain. Still got 130 gb to use which should get us home after another month or so

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
The other option is to purchase a data only SIM in the country/countries you are visiting and top up when necessary. Vodafone Portugal have an unlimited data only SIM for €15/15 days or €30/30 days.
I use a Voxi SIM in SIM 2 on the Teltonika router for backup whilst in Europe and then as the primary SIM when in the UK. There are plenty of reasonably priced mifi's around if you want a different solution than a static router.

Deleted User
The other option is to purchase a data only SIM in the country/countries you are visiting and top up when necessary. Vodafone Portugal have an unlimited data only SIM for €15/15 days or €30/30 days.
I use a Voxi SIM in SIM 2 on the Teltonika router for backup whilst in Europe and then as the primary SIM when in the UK. There are plenty of reasonably priced mifi's around if you want a different solution than a static router.
NOS also do the same unlimited data SIM for the same price in Portugal.
I have used both, Vodafone at the moment as the NOS signal strength has become poor where we are.
Be aware that a good VPN is necessary to stream UK TV.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
I've been with GifGaf for sometime. My use is lowish. Contract is only 15GB, unlimited texts and calls, for £10. They tend to chuck in an extra Gig if you get close to your limit at the end of the month at no charge. You can increase your "package" at any time online so if its going to be a heavy month I'll bounce it up to 30Gb for the next month for £15. And for £35 its Unlimited data/calls/texts. Plus EU roaming up to 20GB/month on all deals. The flexibility is useful.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Some providers are doing ‘deals’ where you buy data for use abroad x amount for y days.

Im with Virgin and was bombarded daily by a call centre lying to me saying that my contract was coming to an end and they could offer me a better deal. I asked them to tell me what my deal was and how were they going to better it, they didn’t know. Total lies.
My deal is a 30 day rolling contract with 100gb, 5000mins and unlimited txts @£10.00 per month. I ended up ringing Virgin and threatening to contact the police/ ombudsman/ news media etc. They stopped immediately.
The idea was to get me into a deal without any free roaming so be aware with any new deals.
I have the exact same deal and situation. I won’t be changing either

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
I use giffgaff as well, very useful as I can change the amount of data per month depending on what we’re doing, currently £20 for 101Gb of data and unlimited everything else.

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
Our 3 contact would of finished tomorrow , so called 3 and was looking at increasing our Data from 12 to 30GB.
We agreed the price, and used MySpace in which I could view the contact live with the operator.
Having raised my objection at this charge, I was told leave the old contract in place and there would be NO roaming charges.
As I usually get a better deal after 2 years, and this was going to be better, if we could roam, but just imagine when we arrived in France and found our extra data came with a hefty cost.
So just a heads up.

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
Smarty only allow 12Gb fair usage, I had unlimited but still had this 12Gb limit whilst roaming in eu

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I’m still on the same Virgin deal I’ve had for 3 years. £28.50 per month unlimited data, calls and texts. Touvh wood, to date, we’ve not been capped when abroad. So, for the moment, I’m doing nothing.
Interestingly, my phone now shows EE but Mrs Ingwe’s phone shows Virgin. Both phones on my Virgin account.

Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
So just a heads up.
Virgin are not charging for roaming. Maybe not the best coverage but free in Europe.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
So just a heads up.
I did the same. But beware 3 have just written to me after 6 months with no contract. They have given me the required 30 days notice saying my old rate no longer exists and will move me into a new contract. Or I could leave.

So I did and went to Sky.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
So just a heads up.
If you own your own phone and it's unlocked, you could switch over to Giffgaff, all done online, no contract, choose each month how much you want to buy, I pay £20 pm for 101GB as I live in my van, never used it all, but do use it for phone and internet, especially watching Netflix! :) and have been with them for 9 years with no issues.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
So what happens when you go over the 12GB?

I only have 12Gb data, SIM only is £8 per month with Three.
I only need that much 2 months of the year when I'm roaming in Europe.
It's set up that I can never go over 12Gb. Or make calls to any premium numbers that are going to charge me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Currently paying £8 but only 17GB with unlimited mins with Plusnet which is on EE no roaming charges.
The last trip we used a Superdrug sim in the MiFi £20 month unlimited data, last Spain/French trip we used 110GB in 6 weeks.

May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
My deal is a 30 day rolling contract with 100gb, 5000mins and unlimited txts @£10.00 per month
How did you get that? I have 30day rolling Contract with virgin but mine is 4GB, data ( rollsover to next month) 2500 mins and unlimited texts. Costs£8.57pm. I'd be happy to pay £10 for yours.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
What you need to work out is what the cost will be to pay for roaming when away compared to how much you are paying for the old contract compared to the new one for the same gb. You may find it more 'economical' to get a new contract via a third party reseller (instead of direct with Three as they are a lot more expensive) and then put what you've saved towards any possible roaming charges or a sim for when you are away.
Gif gaf does some very good deals, they operate on O2, no contract , you can cancel anytime.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back