Don’t Breakdown in the Outer Hebrides (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear your troubles.

Nope still at the dealers since August 10th. They did some troubleshooting along with Fiat but nothing conclusive although an error with the brake stop light was detected and that sensor replaced. Suspect faulty clutch so that is being replaced and hopeful to be back on the road this week.
Wow that’s 4 weeks already and still no wiser?

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Happy 2 Month anniversary of breaking down in the Outer Hebrides, still no fix to the no gears issue van purchased in April 20 nights away and 14 weeks back at the dealers getting fixed.

Maybe time to cut the losses and reject the van as unfit for purpose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Maybe time to cut the losses and reject the van as unfit for purpose.
I think I would have done that some time ago, if between the garage and the manufacturer it can't be sorted out in a reasonable time, what confidence can you have in it for the future.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Back on the road again finally after nearly four months. It would appear putting 2 thousand miles on a Fiat engine that was six years old and had only done 1600 miles back and forth for servicing and mot and never been used meant the engine was never run in properly was not a good idea.

Clutch and flywheel replaced and software updated to the latest version.

It would appear there was play in the flywheel outside the tolerance the software had for controlling the clutch and so would not allow any gears until this was fixed.

According to the dealer Fiat did not have available the software or tool to calibrate the clutch available in the UK so had to order from Italy once the software update was done and this delayed the repair significantly.

Hopefully that is the end of the troubles and we can get on with enjoying this lovely van that is practically like new with a few weekends away before crossing the channel at Christmas.

Bessie at Smeatons Lakes.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
A Production/Self Service final calibration would probably have resolved it 4 months ago but glad the clowns sorted it out by fluke

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Pleased you're back on the road again, but if there really was that much "play in the flywheel", I think the engine would have shaken itself to bits long before now ?

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Pleased you're back on the road again, but if there really was that much "play in the flywheel", I think the engine would have shaken itself to bits long before now ?
Who knows ?

The van had 1600 miles when we purchased in April did a couple of trips to Dorset before heading to Scotland in the Summer at which point we had doubled the mileage on the van before the breakdown.

Perhaps had we had the van taken to a Fiat main dealer instead of the dealer we purchased from by the recovery services we might have had a different outcome but AA were pretty rubbish to be honest perhaps we expected too much that they cover the whole of the UK.

Was the delay due to covid, Brexit, too much work at the dealers probably a combination of all of the above but agree it took far too long to fix.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Back on the road again
I gave you a "Nice One" but purely for being back on the road again. 👍
I can't believe how long it has taken Fiat to sort it out for you.

Four months is the sort of time you expect to have to wait for converters spares and repairs, but not for a "run of the mill" prime mover. ☹

Cheers

Jock. :)

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Similar happened to us with hindsight we would have gone to a fiat dealership and not the dealers we bought from even tho it was under warrenty (supposedly) months later we part exed for a new vehicle ………… hindsights a marvellous thing lol

Dec 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
just looking
its the clutch slave cylinder that has blown......thats why its saying no gears available, get the AA guy to check the clutch fluid reservoir, it'll either be empty or full of gear oil.
thats what it was when mine did the same thing

Dec 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi mate. I’ve just seen your reply regarding the slave cylinder my 2016 Ducato is saying no gear available I’ve been told by a repair shop that it was the slave cylinder and a clutch kit required They’ve said it would be around $6800. Does this sound right. Did you have to pay anything like that amount
its the clutch slave cylinder that has blown......thats why its saying no gears available, get the AA guy to check the clutch fluid reservoir, it'll either be empty or full of gear oil.
thats what it was when mine did the same thing

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
hi pal..most of the problems that occur with these gearboxes stem from the clutch, a garage can tell you what they like when your broke down, 1to bump the price up and 2 to cover all eventualities, and there's not a lot you can do about it. that's why its important to use a garage you can trust if at all possible, my slave cylinder failed only 50 miles from home so I was lucky, as for cost....its a mine field.
my mate who has a garage charges £1000 labour, an after market cylinder is about £60 ( which he says are better than fiats own) after that its up to you wether you put a new clutch in or not while the box is out, personally.....if its got loads of life left on it id'e clean it up and put it back..the garage will tell you different though. that figure you've been quoted sounds like there just going to throw everything new at.....flywheel, clutch assembly, cylinder etc, even with all that it still sounds expensive !

all the best

Ian

Dec 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
just looking
hi pal..most of the problems that occur with these gearboxes stem from the clutch, a garage can tell you what they like when your broke down, 1to bump the price up and 2 to cover all eventualities, and there's not a lot you can do about it. that's why its important to use a garage you can trust if at all possible, my slave cylinder failed only 50 miles from home so I was lucky, as for cost....its a mine field.
my mate who has a garage charges £1000 labour, an after market cylinder is about £60 ( which he says are better than fiats own) after that its up to you wether you put a new clutch in or not while the box is out, personally.....if its got loads of life left on it id'e clean it up and put it back..the garage will tell you different though. that figure you've been quoted sounds like there just going to throw everything new at.....flywheel, clutch assembly, cylinder etc, even with all that it still sounds expensive !

all the best

Ian
Thanks mate. Appreciate your time replying
Yeah the garage did say fly wheel etc etc
I’m in Western Australia so that price I was quoted was in Ozzie dollar so would be £3400 still sound expensive
I’ll make a few more enquires
Thanks again

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Hi mate. I’ve just seen your reply regarding the slave cylinder my 2016 Ducato is saying no gear available I’ve been told by a repair shop that it was the slave cylinder and a clutch kit required They’ve said it would be around $6800. Does this sound right. Did you have to pay anything like that amount
Sorry I cant answer that as my repair was done under Warranty but that sounds a lot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back