LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another option is one of these for the garage.

Russell Hobbs RHGWC1B Glass Door Cooler, Black Amazon product ASIN B017IOKN52
By my reckoning, uses only 282 watts per day.

Would keep the 'essentials' cool and could be used for items from the main fridge during very warm periods.

Can anybody see any issues with this?
Venterlation will be a problem, you will be creating heat which needs to be got rid of the unit will not work in an enclosed space, wine will be warm but you will have a nice sauna.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Venterlation will be a problem, you will be creating heat which needs to be got rid of the unit will not work in an enclosed space, wine will be warm but you will have a nice sauna.:ROFLMAO:
If it became an issue I could always fit a vent.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I know Mr Robert Clack has a brain bigger than a largish garden shed and will probably already thought of this but here goes anyway...

You current fridge fits nicely in the van with correct colour etc. It has an insulated interior.

Have you considered fitting a compressor cooling unit into your existing unit?

They used to stock all the necessary gear at CAK Tanks...

Just wondering

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think this is an interesting thread Robert, I find the constant babying of my fridge a real pain, monitor this, check that, tell my wife 20 million times about the technical frailty, for a £1900 piece of kit, as Lenny says its about time that these issues were sorted. As OP said Yankee RV fridges are multi power source and the Norcold has its problems, some Yanks rename them Notcold. But I never had a problem. Set on 2 out of 9 with 9 being coldest we had no problem in 40 degree heat, ice maker incorporated and a fridge size to feed a regiment, but the condensers were subject to failure on occasions. When I look at the Dometic stuff its frankly Mickey Mouse by comparison.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I know Mr Robert Clack has a brain bigger than a largish garden shed and will probably already thought of this but here goes anyway...

You current fridge fits nicely in the van with correct colour etc. It has an insulated interior.

Have you considered fitting a compressor cooling unit into your existing unit?

They used to stock all the necessary gear at CAK Tanks...

Just wondering

JJ :cool:

My limited research suggests that an absorbing fridge can not easily be converted to a compressor fridge.
However I will contact a refrigerator engineer and gain a professional opinion.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My suggestion would be to fit one of the larger ones of these (CFX 50 or 95 for example) in the garage. @eddievanbitz has something like this on slide out rails in his RV. We have the little CDF26 in our PVC and it sits between the front seats when we stop. We keep wine, beer and salads in it.
They are designed for mobile use and don't use much power.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Compressor fridges were developed for the marine market where gas is a real safety issue and many boats don't have it because of this

Mains or 'shore power' is out of the question for most boats

That leaves 12 volt compressor fridges. Boats don't have the same payload issues as vans

My last boat had a three way fridge freezer in the galley, a 12 volt and mains freezer in the lazaret, and a 12 volt compressor fridge on the fly bridge

The three way unit worked brilliantly as did the freezer. The compressor fridge did its job keeping already cold beer and wine cold but was by far the least efficient.

Bear in mind the Five large separate battery banks and a huge generator plus the benefit of twin 240 Amp alternators the compressor fridge still needed keeping an eye on, and turn off when not needed.

The appeal I believe outweighs their effectiveness

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Could you not have asked the question at time of ordering then you wouldn't have needed the 2 vents on the bodywork if the compressor one was an option.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Could you not have asked the question at time of ordering then you wouldn't have needed the 2 vents on the bodywork if the compressor one was an option.
It's still possible to change the order as the van isn't yet in production.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It's still possible to change the order as the van isn't yet in production.

Well that's the best question to ask then Robert, they fit one at time of build, no messing about for you afterwards, no vents in the side of the van, no extra cost to you, no aftermarket fans, 2 big batteries, some solar, good split charge system and bobs yer grandmother.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ok brainboxes (you know who you are)

If a 240v appliance uses 103kw of energy in a year, how many amps per hour will it consume at 12v if run through an inverter?

Guess The Amps

Thank you

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ok brainboxes (you know who you are)

If a 240v appliance uses 103kw of energy in a year, how many amps per hour will it consume at 12v if run through an inverter?

Guess The Amps

Thank you
Also we would need to know the efficiency of the inverter

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My figurers were at 240v at 12v allowing for inverter efficency,.
9,330 amp / year, 25.6 amps / day.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ok brainboxes ...

Shall we play double or quits?

In a UK summer (sunny day), how many watts of solar panels would be required to maintain this appliance, during a 24 hour period.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ok brainboxes ...

Shall we play double or quits?

In a UK summer (sunny day), how many watts of solar panels would be required to maintain this appliance, during a 24 hour period.
Too many to fit on your roof.:)
100 watt panel will produce approx 650 watts a day about 40 a/h that's allow for the fact you need 16v input to the regulator to charge a battery not 12.
That is under ideal conditions, so in theory panel would be more than enough but in practice I doubt it.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Too many to fit on your roof.:)
100 watt panel will produce approx 650 watts a day about 40 a/h that's allow for the fact you need 16v input to the regulator to charge a battery not 12.
That is under ideal conditions, so in theory panel would be more than enough but in practice I doubt it.

Maybe I could increase the area of the roof?

IMG_8167.JPG

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Think this would solve the solar problem,
But you may have a problem through the tunnel...

IMG_0100.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back