DOMETIC TEC TOWER FRIDGE FREEZER PROBLEM (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Our van has a Dometic TEC Tower Fridge Freezers Model no. RMDT 8505
At the moment we can not get the Fridge or Freezer to cool down below 15 degs. on either Gas, 12 volt, or 230 volt.
There are no error codes displayed, and the vents outside are clear.
The top vent outside is warmer than the bottom vent.
The heating element is working as it is hot to the touch, ie bottom of the flue.
The vehicle is on level ground.

Over the last 2 years his unit has had a new Absorption Unit, a Thermostat, and a Printed Circuit Board, and here we are again with the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas ??

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
the fact that its not playing on any power source suggests to me its a lack of refrigerant..
similar to an ac unit on a motor..
but with all the electronic control on these things now i suppose it could be down to faulty sensors and misinformation..
@Techno did a good thread on the same model i think.. hope he sees this..
andy

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If the the heating element is getting hot only leaves the adsorption unit surely.
If you select gas does it fire up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The fact that these units are filled with ammonia and sealed makes them work in a different way to air con so fluid level is ruled out. It has had new stat fitted and has worked ok for a while but unfortunately back to the same problem of not cooling.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The fact that these units are filled with ammonia and sealed makes them work in a different way to air con so fluid level is ruled out. It has had new stat fitted and has worked ok for a while but unfortunately back to the same problem of not cooling.
I know what you are saying but it still needs the refrigerant in the system to work.. if it has leaked somehow without been detected ie smelt it wouldn't work..or the path has somehow become blocked..
So if it's level and the heat source is correct it should work..
Just the fact that it is level and doesn't work on any power source...
unlikely but a possibility I'd say..

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Andy I get what your saying a new unit was fitted to the rear of the fridge about 2yrs ago and it has been ok since but with a Dometic 2yrs is a long time most of there products are crap but what is the alternative maybe a chiller unit from a trailer with a lister running LOL at least thee beer will be cold.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have had it turned off all day now have put it on gas over night so will take a look in the morning I can hear the burner and feel heat at the top so check the temp in the morning.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you've got the winter vent covers fitted, remove them.
We have the same model fridge as you and had the same symptoms.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sorry to hijack this thread but I've a similar problem and didn't want to add yet another fridge thread ..!

My fridge in the last two days, the gas light on the panel has been flickering very fast and I've been listening for the gas coming on and haven't heard it so I turn it to "off" and back on again and then I do hear the gas light up and the flickering stops. All this time the fridge is cold and all frozen in the freezer, ive been constantly keeping an eye on it and switching the switch so that's why I think it actually hasn't defrosted, I'm now trying it on auto and the gas came on but I haven't heard it since from over an hour ago but it isn't flickering yet....

So, do I have a problem...?
IMG_0776.JPG

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If the refrigerant had leaked out it wouldn't cool at all.

I didn't think it was working.. in fact I thought it was keeping warm lol...
Fridge or Freezer to cool down below 15 degs.
Penny has dropped.. sorry just not thinking as usual..:doh:

As I said before Andy (techno) I seem to remember having a problem with a fridge that wouldn't keep cool enough.. I'm sure he ended up changing the panel or modding it..

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Sorry to hijack this thread but I've a similar problem and didn't want to add yet another fridge thread ..!

My fridge in the last two days, the gas light on the panel has been flickering very fast and I've been listening for the gas coming on and haven't heard it so I turn it to "off" and back on again and then I do hear the gas light up and the flickering stops. All this time the fridge is cold and all frozen in the freezer, ive been constantly keeping an eye on it and switching the switch so that's why I think it actually hasn't defrosted, I'm now trying it on auto and the gas came on but I haven't heard it since from over an hour ago but it isn't flickering yet....

View attachment 142161
Probably best to start your own thread ... meanwhile, if you are on electric hookup, you are almost certainly getting reduced voltage causing it to try gas option.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
After leaving the fridge off for a few hours yesterday I then set it to gas last night had a look this morning 0 deg great so now have put it back to 230v to see if it will hold low temp I will check again in a few hours. Oh the fridge is set for max cold. I cant think why it should work after having been switched off for a while maybe some reset ? built in, as I said in the first thread the 230v element was hot to touch. I was told by a Dometic chap the unit on the back of the fridge can get an air lock in it and has to be switched off for a while to clear it.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Yes some have said that, but why does the manual not mention this about 50% it has chilled right down over night on gas so now on 230v.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Still on 0 Deg 7 hours later on 230v. Has any one come across crystyling of the ammoniea in the absorbtion unit as this has been suggested

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

View attachment 142161
I know that one well. Been the Bain of my life for a while. Remove bottom vent, you'll see a bundle of wires on a white terminal block. Remove block, spray with switch cleaner, dry it, put it back on. It's a faulty earth connection. After two years of doing this finally gave up and replaced wiring

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I don't know why but it does seem to work.
It's because you need a temperature difference between top and bottom, if you have it too high this goes, that's what a Dometic engineer told me

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Still on 0 Deg 7 hours later on 230v. Has any one come across crystyling of the ammoniea in the absorbtion unit as this has been suggested

Yes it is a common problem on ammonia absorption fridges ,usually as they get older. Even new virgin ammonia when installed at the factory isn't 100% clean it usually blocks at the narrowest point & the simple answer is remove turn upside down for a few hours , or shake it about & it will then go on for a few more years. It is quite easy on small fridges/freezers & mine blocked about 18 months back . by the time I had removed it from the van , only comes out through cab & seat removed .It started working. Good clean of burner etc; & wonderful now.

Trouble is with the size of the fridge freezers in Mhs' now it is not possible to do easily. With it all switched off & cold, tapping all over the absorption pipework with a rubber hammer did the job just as well.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Just checked the temp still 0 deg on 230v well I cant explain the reason but switching it of for 8 hours then back on now it is working perfect till the next time hopefully a long time ?

Thank you all for your input.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm no refrigeration expert but surely 0 Degs is too cold for the fridge part of a Fridge/Freezer unit. We had that problem and had a new sensor put in. That sorted it out.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
All depends how cold you like your beer! Normaly I would have the fridge set at 7 Deg or there abouts but as it was acting strange I thought set it to coldest and go from there.(y) Now back at 7 Deg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back