Dometic RMDT8505 fridge freezer - not cooling on Mains Electric (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
so I rang the dealers who were really helpful if not a long way away.
they suggested a few checks, the pipework is definitely getting hot so that would indicate the element is working?
they are suggesting cooling unit or blockage.?

thoughts?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The the is only one pipe that circulates the coolant so if it was blocked it wouldn't work gas or 12v either.
If its getting and it works on 12v and gas it must be working.

So is it intermittent and as its working on gas and 12v I think it comes back to the black box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Just a guess but try the rear pcb behind bottom vent cover.
The panel is liable to water damage if the cover isn’t properly fitted. Mine had the soldering runs missing from the 240 edge connection. All the 12v and front panel terminals needed cleaning to.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It could also be dried out thermal paste on the heat exchanger

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
The the is only one pipe that circulates the coolant so if it was blocked it wouldn't work gas or 12v either.
If its getting and it works on 12v and gas it must be working.

So is it intermittent and as its working on gas and 12v I think it comes back to the black box.
That's not correct Lenny.

I've had this confirmed by domtetic themselves.
The heat generated by gas contains more heat and power and therfore can overcome the blockage.

On gas there is heat throughout the pipe work. On electric it travels as far as the fins at the top and then goes cooler as you follow it through, in other words its not retuning. On gas it does.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's not correct Lenny.

I've had this confirmed by domtetic themselves.
The heat generated by gas contains more heat and power and therfore can overcome the blockage.

On gas there is heat throughout the pipe work. On electric it travels as far as the fins at the top and then goes cooler as you follow it through, in other words its not retuning. On gas it does.
Interesting never heard that before, so your one is actually getting hot on mains but not cooling?

If that's the case you will probably need a new fridge and the 8505 is an obsolete model.
They may be able to replace the cooling unit but they don't tend to do that so hopefully you will get a nice new fridge.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Interesting never heard that before, so your one is actually getting hot on mains but not cooling?

If that's the case you will probably need a new fridge and the 8505 is an obsolete model.
They may be able to replace the cooling unit but they don't tend to do that so hopefully you will get a nice new fridge.

yeah, the cooling units can be replaced quite simply, so I expect they will do that. https://coolfunrv.com/dometic-cooling-units/

quick link to a site. The price of the new cooling unit is about £450 and if I was having it fitted it would be about 600 all in so not a cheap job. Fortunately the dealer has been really good about it.
The other answer and I really hope they don't do this, is to actually take the fridge out, turn it upside down and shake it all about, which "can" sometimes clear the blockage but it always comes back.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I could only find a new cooling unit for £690.

Cooling unit
was this for you or were you just showing an interest?

presumably the dealer will have a discount with dometic unlike us mere mortals. but if it were me having to do it, I would replace the fridge or get a reconditioned one.

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
was this for you or were you just showing an interest?

presumably the dealer will have a discount with dometic unlike us mere mortals. but if it were me having to do it, I would replace the fridge or get a reconditioned one.
My cooling unit failed a couple of months ago so I had been looking at the cost of repairs. I decided to replace my Dometic 3-way with a Thetford compressor as the price difference was not very much.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
My cooling unit failed a couple of months ago so I had been looking at the cost of repairs. I decided to replace my Dometic 3-way with a Thetford compressor as the price difference was not very much.
I would probably if out of warranty have thought about the same. not going to be a cheap fix for sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back