Dometic RMDT 8505 Oven Hinge Problem (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
On and off for over 35 years
I have a 2015 Hymer Exsis i504. It has a Dometic RMDT 8505 Tec-Tower fitted. It was probably manufactured 2012/13. Recently the oven door it looks as if one side has dropped slightly, making closing the door impossible. I have had a good look at the previous threads and Youtube regarding this known Dometic hinge problem. I am aware that I am going to have to fork out approx £100 for replacement hinges.

There seems to be a conflicting information regarding replacedment with or without removing the actual oven or Tec-Tower. Does anyone know if the hinges can be replaced without pulling out the oven/fridge freezer???

Model No.RMDT 8505
Product No. 00921078029

Ta

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I pulled the unit out and split the oven off. I thought that was the only way.

But this thread has a video which shows that may not be necessary, I think the video was an earlier model than mine, grey fridge - ours is black.

OP
OP
Porridge Oats
Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
I pulled the unit out and split the oven off. I thought that was the only way.

But this thread has a video which shows that may not be necessary, I think the video was an earlier model than mine, grey fridge - ours is black.

Yes..That was my fear that my oven is a newer model that doesn’t allow access to replace hinges without removing the oven.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
From video it appears you can see the hinge fixing screws inside the oven, are yours visible?
Our van is in storage so cant check easily.

OP
OP
Porridge Oats
Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
From video it appears you can see the hinge fixing screws inside the oven, are yours visible?
Our van is in storage so cant check easily.
No they are not obviously visible.
That was the part that was concerning me. The fixing screws are not the same as the video. There are three connecters on each side (see photo of typical unidentified connector). They are not Torx or anything that I have seen. They are maybe the fixings for bolts from the other side which is inaccessible.

1633612727902.png

1633612951878.png

OP
OP
Porridge Oats
Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
I emailed Dometic and received this quick reply
“Dear Sir,
I’m sorry to read of the problem you have.
Sometimes the spring hinge in the body of the oven door can be replaced. If the arm coming from the body of the oven is damaged. This is a much quicker job as the fridge doesn’t have to be pulled forward.
If the arm coming from the body of the oven is damaged then the fridge will need to be pulled forward to access the connections. This is a much bigger job as the gas has to be disconnected to pull the fridge forward.

I would discuss the repair with Turiff Caravans who have supported Dometic for a number of years.”

I am still unsure if I can replace the hinges without unit removal. I will have to wait and stop the door door down to see what’s happened but will need to wait until we get home as we are in France just now.

OP
OP
Porridge Oats
Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
Update on my Dometic RMDT 8505 oven hinge which had dropped during our trip to France and Spain.

On return home I dismantled the door and oven trim. This gave me better access to both hinges and confirmed my fears that the Tec-Tower would need to be removed to allow access for a complete hinge replacement.

As both hinges looked to be in reasonable condition I decided to use force and levered the offending hinge upwards. I am not sure if the hinge bent slightly or the oven side hinge bolts to the oven moved but the hinge ended up more like its twin. I applied high temperature 3 in 1 grease to both hinges, which has improved the hinge movement.

I reinstalled the trim and reassembled the door. The oven door now fits and works better than it has ever has done before.

I hope that the high temperature grease will help prolong the life of my oven door and now plan to grease every year going forward.

Thanks to SandraL, Oscar and others for the advice

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Hi quick update, pulled the tec-tower out and removed the oven, you then remove the oven casing to access the hinge screws, attatched photos for info.
Alb

Attachments

• 20211015_170555.jpg
    20211015_170555.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 80
  • 20211015_170500.jpg
    20211015_170500.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 79

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My Belgium dealer replaced mine without taking the tower out also my mate had his done in Germany without taking the tower out.
I believe the build varies and some can be done without taking the tower out, and some can't.

I looked at the 3 in 1 grease but decided the flash point was too low to risk in an inviroment with a naked flame.
I give mine a spray once or twice a year with K2 Ceramic brake grease, opens so smooth and easy now far better than when it was new.

Phil Taran_Las hinges were so stiff you needed two hands to open the oven door. I recommend the ceramic grease to him, after applying he reckons almost as good as new.

Dometic up to their usual standard these hinges have been problematical since the first TecTower not sure when that was but I think around 2004. You would think they would have sorted it by now & why on earth don't they grease them from new.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Lenny HB. Is that K2 brake grease in a spray can because I can only find it in a tube?
Not sure if the grease in a tube will get onto the parts it needs to get too.
Our oven gets a squirt of silicon spray every now and again but it soon wears off.

Richard.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
My RM8505 hinges got stiff enough to need both hands. Read someone's recommendation for 3 in 1 anti seize copper grease which worked a treat....after identifying which holes around the edge of the oven door to stick the spray nozzle! Same guy also described a way to take apart the layers of the door to get at the hinges without pulling the oven out. Haven't needed to do that yet. Just as well as I cannot now find the link back to the website ☹️

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny HB. Is that K2 brake grease in a spray can because I can only find it in a tube?
Not sure if the grease in a tube will get onto the parts it needs to get too.
Our oven gets a squirt of silicon spray every now and again but it soon wears off.

Richard.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I emailed Dometic and received this quick reply
“Dear Sir,
I’m sorry to read of the problem you have.
Sometimes the spring hinge in the body of the oven door can be replaced. If the arm coming from the body of the oven is damaged. This is a much quicker job as the fridge doesn’t have to be pulled forward.
If the arm coming from the body of the oven is damaged then the fridge will need to be pulled forward to access the connections. This is a much bigger job as the gas has to be disconnected to pull the fridge forward.

I would discuss the repair with Turiff Caravans who have supported Dometic for a number of years.”

I am still unsure if I can replace the hinges without unit removal. I will have to wait and stop the door door down to see what’s happened but will need to wait until we get home as we are in France just now.

I can't remember exactly but I think I did something like this and managed to replace the bent bit without pulling the whole thing out.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Lenny.
Now ordered. (y)

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Update on my Dometic RMDT 8505 oven hinge which had dropped during our trip to France and Spain.

On return home I dismantled the door and oven trim. This gave me better access to both hinges and confirmed my fears that the Tec-Tower would need to be removed to allow access for a complete hinge replacement.

As both hinges looked to be in reasonable condition I decided to use force and levered the offending hinge upwards. I am not sure if the hinge bent slightly or the oven side hinge bolts to the oven moved but the hinge ended up more like its twin. I applied high temperature 3 in 1 grease to both hinges, which has improved the hinge movement.

I reinstalled the trim and reassembled the door. The oven door now fits and works better than it has ever has done before.

I hope that the high temperature grease will help prolong the life of my oven door and now plan to grease every year going forward.

Thanks to SandraL, Oscar and others for the advice
Glad to hear that the door is sorted Ian.
Top job! (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I had a problem with the oven on my Tec Tower on a 2015 Hymer. The dealer, Becks (sadly no longer here), removed the old oven and replaced it with a new one under warranty without moving the fridge.

Alwyn2014

Free Member
Oct 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
I have a 2015 Hymer Exsis i504. It has a Dometic RMDT 8505 Tec-Tower fitted. It was probably manufactured 2012/13. Recently the oven door it looks as if one side has dropped slightly, making closing the door impossible. I have had a good look at the previous threads and Youtube regarding this known Dometic hinge problem. I am aware that I am going to have to fork out approx £100 for replacement hinges.

There seems to be a conflicting information regarding replacedment with or without removing the actual oven or Tec-Tower. Does anyone know if the hinges can be replaced without pulling out the oven/fridge freezer???

Model No.RMDT 8505
Product No. 00921078029

Ta

Alwyn2014

Free Member
Oct 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Had a similar problem and the only way to replace the hinges was to take the whole unit out. A 5/6 hour job for our dealer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back