Dometic RM7855L corrosion problem. Your experiences, please (1 Viewer)

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The Dometic fridge freezer in our 6 yr old van recently started giving off a strong ammonia smell. Local dealer has diagnosed corrosion in the pipes at the back of the fridge. It looks like my warranty company are not going to cover the replacement costs (around £1000), calling it normal wear and tear.

Has anyone else experienced similar corrosion problems in a fridge of this age? Any experiences of getting similar problems fixed under warranty?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think this is particularly common.

Is the fridge working.

OP
OP
B

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
It works in a sense i.e. it still cools, but the stink of ammonia is unbearable, so it's unusable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think it will carry on working for long and as you have found out best to leave it off, if you look at the back you will see a yellow fur where it is leaking.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A leak caused by internal corrosion at 6 years is unusual, but the Dometic warranty is only 2 years.
so, unless the warranty company had specifically covered the fridge against faults, I don't think you have a claim..

that's just my opinion.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sale of goods act?

perhaps,
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

You can ask for a repair or replacement at any time up to six years after you bought the goods as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long. If the goods go wrong after six years, you no longer have the right to ask for a repair or replacement.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I had a microwave that only lasted just over 3 years before it failed I took it back to Argos my wife would not believe me about the six years .They tried to fob me off I asked for the manager who promptly told them to use the proper sliding scale and allow me x amount against a replacement they know they have to comply if you insist

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had a microwave that only lasted just over 3 years before it failed I took it back to Argos my wife would not believe me about the six years .They tried to fob me off I asked for the manager who promptly told them to use the proper sliding scale and allow me x amount against a replacement they know they have to comply if you insist

absolutely agree, I've returned several items that failed outside the warranty and had them replaced.. .. including training shoes, a food mixer, a coffee machine, and a kettle .. no big company wants the agro of a complaint and bad publicity

but I think the fridge is a borderline case.. but worth a try..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks folks. Some useful advice there. Bit of a minefield as to who I might claim from. Is it Chausson, who originally fitted the fridge; Highbridge, who supplied the van to the first owner; or Lowdhams, who supplied it to me? Any way you look at it, it is not Dometic, who made the thing. Doesn't seem fair really.

But thanks. Am getting the sense this is not a common fault, and the Sale of Goods stuff is very useful.

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
are you sure it is pipes? A blocked flue could smell similar? Ours which is also 6 yrs old smelt of rotting fish / eggy!!!! But only when running on gas. The guy replaced the jet, burner and cleaned the flue - works great now.

OP
OP
B

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Yeah, saw that DavidG58. Thanks. Like you, I couldn't tell how old. However, it isn't related to the fault we have.

Scottie58, it's definitely coolant leakage. We've had the fridge out and found the point of leakage, which is the coolant pipe that runs up alongside the flue pipe. It's normally buried in insulation, so was difficult to pinpoint. Already had done what you describe - believe it or not, that rotten egg smell is much nicer than the ammonia that comes out! Thanks for your idea though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back