Dometic RM6505 - Not working on hook up (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
I have a problem with the above AES fridge freezer, it works perfectly on gas and 12v but will not operate on mains power for some reason, when parked up on hookup and with gas switched off at bottle when I power up the unit it shows green light on the facia for a few minutes but then starts looking for gas ( clicking sound etc ) then closes down and red light shows. Any bright ideas please ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Low voltage?
We've had this a couple of times on sites

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree with Robert assuming the mains heating element is OK.
Best to switch it manually to gas or it will keep falling over it's self.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks for that, I did wonder about voltage - I live in a country region of Bulgaria where voltage is variable to say the least ! officially we expect 220v =/- 5% but in reality it can drop to 180v at times. I will check out the mains heating element when I get a chance, that's a fridge out job cos it vents thru the roof RV style.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Don't you just love these threads, keep reminding us of the junk that has been foisted on us!
For me that's the most frustrating thing
There's no real choice of appliances.
Dometic must have a real stranglehold on constructors

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well there is Thetford but they appear to be junk as well.
What is frustrating is that we know there are limits to the performance of absorption we also know it can be improved dramatically with the addition if a few cheap fans. The manufacturers of the appliances and the converters fitting them just bury their heads in the sand.
Unfortunately out of the thousands of Motorhomes sold every year most buyers are unawear how poorly these applinance perform or just accept it.

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Surely you have a bottom vent? If so the elements are accessed through there, they are behind the shroud. I would think if you were at 180 volts it would not work on EHU. The connections are there to so you can meter the AC in.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Well there if Thetford but they appear to be junk as well.
What is frustrating is that we know there are limits to the performance of absorption we also know it can be improved dramatically with the addition if a few cheap fans. The manufacturers of the appliances and the converters fitting them just bury their heads in the sand.
Unfortunately out of the thousands of Motorhomes sold every year most buyers are unawear how poorly these applinance perform or just accept it.

Dometic (Waeco) also make compressor models, sadly these aren't offered as on option either

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Surely you have a bottom vent? If so the elements are accessed through there, they are behind the shroud. I would think if you were at 180 volts it would not work on EHU. The connections are there to so you can meter the AC in.
You can check the voltage at any mains socket in the van. I think they start playing up once the voltage gets a bit below 200v the newer fridges are worst as the old ones didn't have the electronic control they would work at any voltage obviously performance drops off with volts.

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Happy update time, I checked the mains voltage and today it is 215v - switched on the fridge and, after a couple of clicks ( gas was off ) it gave the green light, one hour later it is still green and cooling has started, the power of MF rules ok :D No cool beers here yet so happy funster heading for the bar ! Thanks everybody.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Spooky, as mine has started working on 230vac from arriving at another site, now this is only worthy of note if it keeps up for a few days! Fridge still at 4 degrees after 24 hrs so a good start!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just found this in the manual Robert, confirms your comments in the past.
If sufficient mains voltage is available (more
than 195 V), this power source is selected as
prime option.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just found this in the manual Robert, confirms your comments in the past.
If sufficient mains voltage is available (more
than 195 V), this power source is selected as
prime option.
That's where I learned it too - first time we had the problem ourselves

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So Robert have you had the 230vac not cool the fridge due to voltage level, but it not switch to gas?

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have had this problem with low voltage quite a few times on Sites in Morocco. I bought a voltage regulator which solves the problem. Plug the EHU lead into it and then a short EHU lead from the output into the EHU socket on the van.
We are selling up so it is for sale for £35 plus shipping.

IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread