Dometic RM 8xx1 fridge problem (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fairly new, since Sept 2016
Anyone got any ideas why our fridge is working fine for a while and then at random times beeps continually for a while with the plug and triangle icons flashing. This is while it is on electric plug in on site. Fridge and freezer seem perfectly cold. Ice cream is rock hard! Door is properly shut too and we have cleaned all the door seals. Doesn't do this when on gas operation.

Wasn't doing it either on the way to the site when it was on battery setting.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Maybe there is an intermittent cutting out in the EHU supply you are plugged in to ?

Or intermittent low voltage??

Screenshot_20200726-161416_Drive.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JaneyBMotorhomer In Hants
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I think you are all probably right. We have never had a problem on this site before but we are on a different pitch to where we usually are. I know it is a particularly low power why site compared to most, it is only 10 amp. TV stops on though! Thanks to all.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think you are all probably right. We have never had a problem on this site before but we are on a different pitch to where we usually are. I know it is a particularly low power why site compared to most, it is only 10 amp. TV stops on though! Thanks to all.
a lot of TVs can accept a voltage between 110v and 220v AC and automatically reduces to 12v DC. So will have no issue coping with low volts within range

OP
OP
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Man from the site has just been down. He says caravans have some sort of switch to cope with low voltage. You turn it down apparently. Don’t think a Motorhome has one??

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We had that happen a few years ago on a campsite and decided it was a low voltage problem as well.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Man from the site has just been down. He says caravans have some sort of switch to cope with low voltage. You turn it down apparently. Don’t think a Motorhome has one??
some older battery chargers had a switch to take account of input voltage. It has nothing to do with fridges

OP
OP
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Spoke too soon. Site maintenance man has been down and tested the 16amp supply and all is working fine. So it is most likely a fault with the fridge. Have to take it to a Dometic Approved place to be sorted.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If it is a low voltage problem it could be a time of day issue. The time others switch on electric heating for instance.

A telephone exchange in a small village in the cotswolds had a standby engine run most sunday lunchtimes. Turned out to be low voltage as electric cookers in the village were turned on, no gas in village. Supply authority eventually upgraded local transformer. This was over 20 years ago.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If it’s set on auto fuel selection then it should switch over to gas when the voltage drops, then back to mains electricity when it rises again.
You can easily see which fuel it’s using and keep an eye on the situation.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it is a low voltage problem it could be a time of day issue. The time others switch on electric heating for instance.
Used to get the same here at a friends house .All ok 9am then as day wore on the voltage dropped until you couldn't work . Usually had around 167v at that point which was solely due to people preparing lunch for the afternoon.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it’s set on auto fuel selection then it should switch over to gas when the voltage drops, then back to mains electricity when it rises again.
You can easily see which fuel it’s using and keep an eye on the situation.
That is what you would expect but we are talking about Dometic and there stupid firmwear.
On the 8000 series when the voltage is too low the gas ignitor starts clicking but because there is mains voltage present the gas solenoid stays turned off. Sometimes the alarm goes off but not always.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That is what you would expect but we are talking about Dometic and there stupid firmwear.
On the 8000 series when the voltage is too low the gas ignitor starts clicking but because there is mains voltage present the gas solenoid stays turned off. Sometimes the alarm goes off but not always.
Thats strage, as ours switched over to gas when we had low voltage.
Wonder if the new series 10 is any better

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thats strage, as ours switched over to gas when we had low voltage.
Wonder if the new series 10 is any better
I had the problem a couple of years ago and a few other Funsters have had it. They may have updated the firmware or it may only happen it the voltage is borderline.

OP
OP
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I don’t think it is the voltage as it is the same on another pitch. It does not have an auto setting either. I googled it and apparently the wires around the light get damp. You need to remove the plastic cover, dry the wires and then Vaseline them to stop it happening again! This came from a Dometic engineer! Cannot see how to remove the plastic cover without potentially breaking it so will get Dometic to do it as it is still under warranty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don’t think it is the voltage as it is the same on another pitch. It does not have an auto setting either. I googled it and apparently the wires around the light get damp. You need to remove the plastic cover, dry the wires and then Vaseline them to stop it happening again! This came from a Dometic engineer! Cannot see how to remove the plastic cover without potentially breaking it so will get Dometic to do it as it is still under warranty.
It just clips off, don't do it when the fridge is cold comes off easily when warm.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I don’t think it is the voltage as it is the same on another pitch.

If it is a low voltage supply issue, it will most likely affect the whole site, unless it was specifically down to an issue with the one supply point that you used, but you said that had been checked out. Don't panic until you try it out back at home or on another site. (y)

OP
OP
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It just clips off, don't do it when the fridge is cold comes off easily when warm.
Lenny
Yes I thought that might be the case. We are back now and I will see what I can do with it tomorrow. Fridge will have been off 24 hours then. Then we will plug it into the electric at home and see how it goes but I seem to remember it doing the beeping before we went so I don't hold up much hope on that front. We will see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back