Dometic OV1800 oven issues (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
My new to me Burstner Ixeo came with a Dometic OV1800 mini grill/oven.
Our first use of said oven to cook a couple of baked potatoes took ages but the cutlery draw above the oven became red hot.
The knives and forks were to hot to handle.
Is this a know issue with this oven or have we got a fault which I should raise with the dealer?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
That doesn't sound right. I think I would be speaking to your dealer.

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
It's a pathetically small oven but I was worried that we might have been a little unlevel when we had used it so the heat from the oven front vent might have heated the cutlery draw above it.
I will raise this with the dealer while it's still under warranty.
Thanks for the reply

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Just had a quick look at a picture of a secondhand one, just check the door seal covers the top part of the door is present and in good condition. Also the door has 2 pieces of glass (inner one missing.?), also check the door pulls up tight against the seal. Unfortunately gas ovens are slow to heat and they do need to expell hot air to allow fresh in to burn. Some should be fitted with an external vent but most manufactures do not bother. when we got our van it had a smev gas grill that melted the worktop above it. We replaced it with a smev oven with a proper door seal however the worktop still gets hot.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We take our drawer out when using the oven, it then provides a handy slot to warm plates. I think ovens are an afterthought on most continental motorhomes

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I thought those were just grills or warming ovens, not designed to cook from raw. And the top plate slides out to deflect heat and keep the door slightly open. Or is this a different model?

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
The oven is like new, with no sliding plate or heat deflector.
The heat itself rises from the vent above the oven and it cooks the cutlery draw above the oven.
It also heats the sink cabinet beside the oven.
It can be right like this can it?

AandA

Free Member
Sep 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
2020 Newbies
We have a newish previously owned Burstner with the same oven (also like new) and exactly the same problem. After the oven has been on for 10 mins you can smell the plastic drawer handle and it's too hot to touch. It's also very slow to cook despite claiming to go to gas mark 6. If you get any insights from the dealer please let us know. I'm thinking of making an aluminium deflector so the heat cannot rise directly over the drawer front.

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
I did raise this issue with Cranhams of Upminister Essex.
This is the dealer who sold me the Burstner in March 2020.
To say that Cranhams are not very good with dealing with warranty claims is an understatement.
After my personal experiances with them I would advise anyone to aviod them if they are thinking of buying a secondhand Motorhome.
As an example of the apathy I received from Crahams warranty department, when I pointed out the bent extending arm on the Thule Awning and although they agreed it had visable damage they refused to repair it by explaining it was now a nearly three years old van with 7000 miles on it so I shouldnt expect to be like new and they didnt think the bent arm was damaged enough to warrant replacing it.
In their opinion the oven house or the drawer above didnt get hot enough to warrant any further investigation.
Well why would it, unless the van actually caught fire in their workshop I doubt they would have reported anything. After all if they had they would have to fix it which seems to be an issue with this dealer.
We have not used the oven since the baked potatoe fiasco.
Its a shame its these little things which have spoilt the new van experiance we had hoped for this year.

AandA

Free Member
Sep 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
2020 Newbies
Staggeringly bad design and service! I'm going to make an alloy deflector for ours and if it works I'll post a pic.

AandA

Free Member
Sep 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
2020 Newbies
Just checked the manual and interesting to find diagrams showing oven exhaust options. Ours are clearly as in Figure 5.
1604855883369.png

Other options vent elsewhere e.g. Figure 4:
1604855995772.png

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our oven has an external vent and doesnt heat up anything, and its continental (rapido). Our previous moho -(dethless) had an external vent and a fan on the oven.

AandA

Free Member
Sep 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
2020 Newbies
Fixed!

Last edited:

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
Bürstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
That looks really good. How far back does it go?
Can you give dimensions please?

AandA

Free Member
Sep 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
2020 Newbies
That looks really good. How far back does it go?
Can you give dimensions please?
It's the full width of the drawer front and the blank is 48 mm deep. I used a sheet metal bender to put a shallow bend which gives rigidity. Some more images below with drawer removed and showing blind rivets.
1605704517091.png

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Wow.....you have solved a bad design with such a simple but elegant solution.
All I can say well done.
Now I need to find some sheet Ali and a bender.

AandA

Free Member
Sep 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
2020 Newbies
Wow.....you have solved a bad design with such a simple but elegant solution.
All I can say well done.
Now I need to find some sheet Ali and a bender.
Thanks for the acolade! As it happens I cut and bent 2 blanks. You are welcome (Reboot) to the second one - it was your post that made me realise it was a design problem! If you want it PM me with your contact details and I'll post it to you ;)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Nothing wrong with said oven, its said van. Poor said construction. Needs insulation between said oven and said drawer. I said!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back