Dometic Midi Heki (with crank handle): Gearing Mechanism Replacement Query (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, my Globecar rooflight above the dinette (Dometic midi heki 70x50) is not closing properly so I recently purchased a new gearing mechanism which arrived the other day. Having now seen the replacement parts I am worried that I may not be able to fix this myself. The gearing mechanism looks like it can be removed from the inside of the van once you remove the crank handle and cover. The top of the gearing box (which isn't visible from inside the van) has two parallel channels in it which I assume is for the metal cables which pull the rooflight up and down, and in the middle of the two cable channels is where the metal replacement cog sits. I have attached 2 pics which show both the top and bottom views of the replacement gearing box.

I am wondering whether anyone has successfully replaced this Dometic heki gearing mechanism and if so, how difficult was it, and do you remove the gearing box from inside the van. I am worried that when I remove the 4 or 5 screws and lower the old gearing mechanism, the cables will dislodge and be really hard to get back into place in the new replacement gearing box (since I can't get at it from the top).

IMG_20201229_123254.jpg
IMG_20201229_123313.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I haven't done it but had to have it replaced on a previous Globecar PVC and it was all done from the inside so it must be possible.

Dandm

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 12, 2020
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron 46
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, my Globecar rooflight above the dinette (Dometic midi heki 70x50) is not closing properly so I recently purchased a new gearing mechanism which arrived the other day. Having now seen the replacement parts I am worried that I may not be able to fix this myself. The gearing mechanism looks like it can be removed from the inside of the van once you remove the crank handle and cover. The top of the gearing box (which isn't visible from inside the van) has two parallel channels in it which I assume is for the metal cables which pull the rooflight up and down, and in the middle of the two cable channels is where the metal replacement cog sits. I have attached 2 pics which show both the top and bottom views of the replacement gearing box.

I am wondering whether anyone has successfully replaced this Dometic heki gearing mechanism and if so, how difficult was it, and do you remove the gearing box from inside the van. I am worried that when I remove the 4 or 5 screws and lower the old gearing mechanism, the cables will dislodge and be really hard to get back into place in the new replacement gearing box (since I can't get at it from the top).

View attachment 451993View attachment 451994
Did you have any luck. Mine has just failed to lift the skylight so may need to dismantle or replace.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
best advice we were given in our handover was never use the winder without pushing the top up with your hand to keep the weight of the gears

OP
OP
Pebble99
Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Any tips?
Its pretty straight forward to remove the heki trim by undoing all the visable screws and then removing the gearing black box. Once the gearing box is removed, the hardest thing is to fit the new cog between the 2 cables within the cable channel. It took me quite a while to do this part and then once done just put everything back in place. I found it easier with 2 people when putting back and aligning the main interior heki trim. My metal cog was not that worn so probably didnt need replacing (only the gearing box really needed replacing) so you may get away with just replacing the gearing part which is easy.

Apr 12, 2015
south devon
Funster No
MH
globecar pvc
Exp
complete novice
Its pretty straight forward to remove the heki trim by undoing all the visable screws and then removing the gearing black box. Once the gearing box is removed, the hardest thing is to fit the new cog between the 2 cables within the cable channel. It took me quite a while to do this part and then once done just put everything back in place. I found it easier with 2 people when putting back and aligning the main interior heki trim. My metal cog was not that worn so probably didnt need replacing (only the gearing box really needed replacing) so you may get away with just replacing the gearing part which is easy.
hi just wondered if you can let us know where you got the gear from please.
ours failed on our globecar a couple of weeks ago and at moment is taped down to stop it rattling.
everywhere ive tried has said 2 month delivery :rolleyes: .

OP
OP
Pebble99
Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Leisureshopdirect and the parts I ordered were:
248840 Dometic Midi-Heki Gearing Mechanism Complete for Crank Version
260101 GD1031 Heki Gear Wheel cog

The way I temporarily secured the skylight from flying open was using a dent puller suction cup connected with paracord tied around the passenger armrest and tightened using a tent rope tightener..

Apr 12, 2015
south devon
Funster No
MH
globecar pvc
Exp
complete novice
Leisureshopdirect and the parts I ordered were:
248840 Dometic Midi-Heki Gearing Mechanism Complete for Crank Version
260101 GD1031 Heki Gear Wheel cog

The way I temporarily secured the skylight from flying open was using a dent puller suction cup connected with paracord tied around the passenger armrest and tightened using a tent rope tightener..
hi thanks for info. unfortunatley out of stock till end of october so might have to try your other method:giggle:(y)(y)

Dandm

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 12, 2020
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron 46
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back