Dometic MDC - 065K electric fridge conked out (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Carabus 54
Exp
Since 2005
My Dometic MDC - 065K electric only fridge was working fine when we put it to bed for the winter. We took the van out on its first run last week but the fridge refused to work. The leisure batteries are fully charged and the interior fridge light comes on so there's obviously power getting to it. Its been stored on a flat driveway so no problems re sloping ground. I've managed to extract the unit from its cubby hole and all the connections at the back seem to be ok but don't know what to check next.

Any suggestions good people?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I have heard they don’t like being switched off for long periods of time and the “ gas “ in the fridge can settle at the bottom .
if I remember rightly this can be solved by turning the fridge upside down for 30 mins and then putting it back in place . If it’s an old unit it could also need a “ re gas”

OP
OP
Perkster24
Sep 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Carabus 54
Exp
Since 2005
I have heard they don’t like being switched off for long periods of time and the “ gas “ in the fridge can settle at the bottom .
if I remember rightly this can be solved by turning the fridge upside down for 30 mins and then putting it back in place . If it’s an old unit it could also need a “ re gas”
Cheers Swifter, I'll give that a go now I've got it out. It was new in 2017 so not that old.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Perkster24
Sep 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Carabus 54
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone else got any suggestions on what I can do next, or drag to a service center?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Should be a 12V fuse for it, check it hasn't blown.
Check the voltage of your battery as well.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Cheers Swifter, I'll give that a go now I've got it out. It was new in 2017 so not that old.

PLEASE tell me you didn’t turn the fridge upside down ?....

your fridge is a compressor fridge. If you turn it upside down, the oil in the compressor will flow into the discharge pipe (compressor high side). And or the suction line (low Side).

The result being, one of two or both things occurring if the compressor does then run.

The high side will push oil into the capillary blocking the system altogether. The suction line will draw oil into the Compressor piston. Oil is a liquid and you cannot compress a liquid !.

The Possible faults are:

Thermostat failure
Compressor failure
Compressor start electrical failure
Loss of refrigerant

The poster who suggested you turn it upside down. That’s absorption refrigeration (Amonia) not Compressor refrigeration (with 12/24v units it usually. tetrafluoroethane That’s used or R134a the same as most automotive a/c from 1995 to 2018).

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

cant really Regas an amonia fridge you refer to.

You can Regas the unit the OP Has. But then it should not require re-gassing as it’s hermetically sealed for life, or should be.

If there is no gas in the system (R12/R134a/R600a). Then it should be leak tested with OFN first.

OP
OP
Perkster24
Sep 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Carabus 54
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've found a local Dometic Service guy who will hopefully be coming out next week to look at. I've looked at all the obvious things, (fuse/power etc), so it's now exceeded my knowledge of fridges.

TeeMyob, unfortunately, yes I did turn it upside down! It was still dead when I wired it in again not that it would have worked anyway by the sound of it. Have I permanently buggered it or will it return to normal if left the right way up and not fired up?

When I mentioned to the engineer that the two led's inside the fridge don't light anymore he suggested it may be a dud pc board. Obviously he can test that when he comes for a look.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've found a local Dometic Service guy who will hopefully be coming out next week to look at. I've looked at all the obvious things, (fuse/power etc), so it's now exceeded my knowledge of fridges.

TeeMyob, unfortunately, yes I did turn it upside down! It was still dead when I wired it in again not that it would have worked anyway by the sound of it. Have I permanently buggered it or will it return to normal if left the right way up and not fired up?

When I mentioned to the engineer that the two led's inside the fridge don't light anymore he suggested it may be a dud pc board. Obviously he can test that when he comes for a look.
Hopefully if you leave it standing and the compress did not kick in, the oil will drain back into the compressor sump.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back