Dometic fridge won't work on gas (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohican
Any help for a newbie Autotrail owner? First trip away and can't get fridge to work on gas.

Obsessive process of levelling hasn't helped and I don't seem to have any spark when I switch over or gas flow. I'm guessing gas doesn't flow until it knows there is a spark.

Any tips on what to tweak/check? Have already blown in burner head in case of debris.... Also turned gas on and off in case of airlock....

Help

Rob

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Does anything else in the van work on gas? Try lighting a hob to draw some gas into the supply line if it hasn't been used for a while.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Some fridges have a battery ignition, I got caught out with that, no spark I had assumed it was off the hab battery, but it has it's own in the button

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The gas wont flow to the burner unless the pilot light is lit first, its the thermocouple that needs to be heated sufficiently to allow the gas valve to open and supply gas to the burner.
If you dont hear the spark ignitor constantly trying to light the gas pilot, then you either have a fridge controller problem or at best 12V supply problem.
If the fridge light comes on inside the fridge when the door is opened, then you will have to dig a bit deeper into the problem, try pushing the reset button on the control panel, leave it 10 minutes, then try again.
We had a problem with very high winds overnight which blew out the pilot light, we had to reposition the van to get it to light, but our attention was brought about by the sound of the spark ignitor trying its best to relight the fridge, before the temp alarm sounded off.
Good luck, hope you find a resolve soon, others on here will also try and help no doubt.
LES

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
A picture may help

JC2001

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
London/SE
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 596
Exp
I'm new to this
Sometimes if the issue is electrical or an electric switch, eg ignition, resetting the main fuse board to reset the whole van can get things going and allow electrics to work

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming it has auto ign then you should hear the spark as soon as you switch to gas.
If no gas is then present so the pilot does not light or there us a fault the gas will shut down.
If you cannot hear the spark at rhe fridge vent then it is likely that there is no power to the ignition

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unless it is quite an old van it won't have a pilot light they are all electronic now & much harder to fault find.
If no gas flow the gas valves are a common problem try giving it a knock as they often stick.
You could also check the valve is getting power.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Some fridges have a battery ignition, I got caught out with that, no spark I had assumed it was off the hab battery, but it has it's own in the button
I have just had the same problem. Mine hadn’t been used on gas for seven years (always on EHU). The temperature went up and down like a yo-yo, it also seemed to be affected by leaving the boiler on, after three nights trying everything( including fitting winter covers to the vents) it had defrosted my food. On the fourth night it froze it all again. I only heard the igniter working once and not when it finally worked properly.
I am presently looking for someone to service the entire gas system. Interesting about the battery in the switch though. The site warden said they need to be used regularly for them to work?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Unless it is quite an old van it won't have a pilot light they are all electronic now & much harder to fault find.
If no gas flow the gas valves are a common problem try giving it a knock as they often stick.
You could also check the valve is getting power.
The OP said 30 years old, it may even have a piezo ingition generator, I asked for a picture but the OP hasn't come back yet

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The OP said 30 years old, it may even have a piezo ingition generator, I asked for a picture but the OP hasn't come back yet
No mention of age by the OP, Specsavers for you.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
i had the same problem, removed all connections, cleaned and refitted. bingo. as the van has been sitting for 6 months it was almost expected!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Give the gas valve behind the fridge a tap with a spanner. They get stuck sometimes, also there is a filter in inlet the pipe that gets dirty, you can’t replace this, but new valves are easy to fit but expensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back