Dometic fridge warm on ac in French alps (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Hi,we have a problem with our fridge on 240v ac, since being in the French alps warm here at 30 degrees. The fridge will not go below 12 deg, freezer seems ok. I have tried it on gas and does seem to be getting a lot colder at around 7 deg, is this because the fridge runs better on gas?
I have taken the grill cover off for now and now have a fan running over the evap to help cool it all down time will tell. Has anyone else had this issue when we are in warmer climates?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We had a similar issue, the fridge evaporator stopped frosting but the freezer was ok and both were a bit colder on gas. Turned out the heat transfer paste behind the fins needed renewing. Worked fine ever since.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
When it’s hot we switch to run ours on gas and try to shade van side with the awning, it does seem to work much better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie9038
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
When it’s hot we switch to run ours on gas and try to shade van side with the awning, it does seem to work much better.

Have taken the grill cover off for now & have a fan on the evaporator fins, already cooled by 2 degrees, in less than 1 hour seem to think these fridges struggle above 28 degrees on ac. Might fit a pc fan on the evaporators fins when I get back to the Uk, has anyone else tried this?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Have taken the grill cover off for now & have a fan on the evaporator fins, already cooled by 2 degrees, in less than 1 hour seem to think these fridges struggle above 28 degrees on ac. Might fit a pc fan on the evaporators fins when I get back to the Uk, has anyone else tried this?
Some do and seem to like it, but fan motors introduce heat themselves, you may think it's insignificant but commercial fridges get really hot inside due to the fans running when the plant fails.
Also I like the fact the bottom of the fridge is cooler and the top can be used for butter eggs etc.

Oh also. Important... the thermostat which is attached to the evaporator, is made to switch off at say minus 6°c. When you fit a fan on it, -6°c can never be achieved until the whole compartment is MINUS 6 :eek: (would never happen but it would use lots of gas trying:ROFLMAO:) . So in order to have any control of the temperature you would need to fit a bottle cooler stat in the return air.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Yes in central france when it hit 40c a few years ago. You need more airflow through the outside vents. Fit a fridge fan may help

s-l640.jpg

OP
OP
Charlie9038
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Yes in central france when it hit 40c a few years ago. You need more airflow through the outside vents. Fit a fridge fan may help

s-l640.jpg
Sound perfect, where can I get these? Any ideas

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends on the model the size of the heating element varies ours is 250 watt some are under 200.
I fitted 2 fans on the top grill and a fan inside the fridge.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have two 5" computer fans in the top vent controlled by a controller from ebay. Around £15 for the lot. Works brilliantly though not silent. Some have wired the two fans in series thus slowing them and making them quieter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back