Dometic fridge spare part (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Ok, tried to solve this myself but am losing the will to live now. It's the selector knob for my fridge, the plastic cracked and luckily it is stuck on gas, which is the most useful for me, at the moment. But it would be good to be able to work it on battery and electric. It's a Dometic RMS8500, I have found spares that say selector knob and then a long number but without a photo I really can't say what it is. Anybody know? And would it really be as simple as putting the new doodah in for it to work? (my experience with her ladyship so far is that things often are not quite that simple).

DSC05591.JPG

I found this
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/c...igerator/dometic-turning-knobselector-switchs
which says it should fit but suggest using the product code.
But when I put in the product code it has no PDF diagram available, so I am no further.

Hope this highly technical explanation is sufficient for one of you clever people to know what I mean...
Thank you
Sophie

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
You could send https://caratech.co.uk/ all the info,model and product no and your photo,
contact info at the bottom of their page.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Now he needs to know where to buy glue.

Come on boys and girls ;)

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Thank you. As mentioned above, it crossed my mind this evening (having a boring job has its advantages) that I could try and glue the piece and see if that works first.

Think I'd try winding sellotape fairly tightly around the cracked section a few times, even if you glue it or not. I think with glue alone it will just split again in time.

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Think I'd try winding sellotape fairly tightly around the cracked section a few times, even if you glue it or not. I think with glue alone it will just split again in time.
Thank you. Will still get the spare part but I'm going away soon for 2.5 weeks and if I can't get the part before then hopefully it will work like this. It's been ok for my weekends away as I don't tend to go far and don't need the fridge on 12v. But think I may want the fridge to work for a long drive.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Weld it up with a hot soldering iron and then wrap a bit of tape around as long as there is clearance to get it back in the hole.

Martin

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Lots of pressure on that part when turning. If there is space find some fine single core wire and bind it tightly then brush over with varnish. leave to dry and should give a"fairish" bodge n go repair. Ensure before you add the varnish that the newly wire wrapped switch will pass through the hole. The wire only needs to be fine.

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Weld it up with a hot soldering iron and then wrap a bit of tape around as long as there is clearance to get it back in the hole.

Martin

Thanks, but think that might be a bit beyond me. It's actually good to get all these ideas though, not things that would have crossed my mind. Makes owning the van seem less of a 'goodness, what have I taken on'.

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Lots of pressure on that part when turning. If there is space find some fine single core wire and bind it tightly then brush over with varnish. leave to dry and should give a"fairish" bodge n go repair. Ensure before you add the varnish that the newly wire wrapped switch will pass through the hole. The wire only needs to be fine.

You're quite right, I was quite surprised to just find something plastic, plastic does tend to disintegrate. And the wire (would think the type I have used for stringing beads should do) and varnish idea is not something I would have ever thought about.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Sophie, can't help with any ideas but hope you get it sorted.

Good luck

Veronica

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Sophie, can't help with any ideas but hope you get it sorted.

Good luck

Veronica
Thank you. The superglue didn't work and caratech doesn't stock it. Will try Dometic itself next.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Sophie @SGNV this may help.

Veronica

Attachments

• IMG_0057.PNG
    IMG_0057.PNG
    492.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0058.PNG
    IMG_0058.PNG
    682.3 KB · Views: 5
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The best temporary repair for that would be to glue a tight fitting piece of metal tubing over the end, something like a small plumbing olive, piece of microbore copper pipe or section cut from a metal bodied ball point pen, just something to stop it "camming" open when you turn it. Can you reach into the opening and turn the shaft using long nose pliers or similar, just to get you away ?

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
The best temporary repair for that would be to glue a tight fitting piece of metal tubing over the end, something like a small plumbing olive, piece of microbore copper pipe or section cut from a metal bodied ball point pen, just something to stop it "camming" open when you turn it. Can you reach into the opening and turn the shaft using long nose pliers or similar, just to get you away ?

As long as it is stuck on gas, I should be fine even for the long drive as I don't tend to do 'high risk food' (yep, work in the food industry), maybe use an ice block and only move the things over just before leaving. Don't think the pliers would work as it is quite a small hole, tight fit and goes a long way in. (thinking loud) maybe I could wrap one of my empty paint tubes, cut open around it, the cobalt is nearly empty. May give that a try. Thank you.

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Right, tried the paint tube trick and it seems to work, will play it safe though and still see if I can order a part. Thank you all, really useful to get all this lateral thinking as I would have never come up with this solution. Liked it so much that I have now also used it on one of my Chinese brushes, the plastic ferrule was starting to split and it would soon loose all its hairs, had thought I would soon need a new one (still might get one, some women collect shoes and handbags, I like paints and brushes).

DSC05609.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back