Dometic fridge playing up on ehu (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
tucked up nice and cosy this evening at a campsite at Turckheim and keep hearing the fridge ignition clicking even though we are on ehu. It a 3 way auto selection and it had selected to mains when we parked up earlier today. We've tried everything and the only (temporary) solution we can find is to manually select gas. It doesn't seem to be recognising that there is a mains supply.
Any ideas anyone? Hope I've explained it clearly. Mr Smith taken to his bed...

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Sorry, but I'm giggling. You appear to be in very cold place and you're worrying yer fridge ain't working.

Oops, perhaps I misunderstood. :(

Our fridge is working great, now that day temps have dropped to 23c

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Don't know anything about these really ... hopefully someone with some sense will be along soon ... from reading other threads though, two possibilities spring to mind 1) the sites EHU polarity may be negative or 2) there are not enough amps to run the fridge. I thought these fridges had error code displays but maybe not your model?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your symptoms describe exactly what happens when the mains voltage low.
Dometic obviously have a cock up in there softwear and with low mains voltage it tries to light the gas but as it is set to mains the gas valve is turned off. In that situation I have found it is best to set it to gas, if you set it to auto it gets even more confused.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
:) Well done @Lenny HB you cracked it for us. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions. Mr S very happy to have problem solved and even took me out to lunch. For a Yorkshireman that is pretty happy ;).

Ps Know some of you think being in the freezing cold this time is bonkers but actually seeing the little ceremony at 5 pm for the opening of the advent window at Turckheim is just fabulous and now at the top of things you must do once in your life at Christmas. But still got a few more things to see in the region yet... Will keep you posted :xgrin:

Pps happy Christmas everyone

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
That was a very lightly veiled dig and not appreciated @Jim

3 days from Xmas and you have to have a dig. I'm far too happy to be like you

Cheer up
Vanman sent me a lovely message to say that he was self deprecating, not having a dig. He did understand that it could be misinterpreted .

All sorted peacefully :)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
This happens freqently in Morocco where the voltage can be as low as180v. I bought a voltage stabiliser box which helped but even then there were times when the only solution was to go with the flow and switch to gas.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Another problem we had which I've a feeling is related: on Christmas Day we were all set to cook Christmas dinner in the halogen oven, turned on the timer and then the heater dial - each time it blew the MH fuse (but not the outside fuse). Bizarre and a bit worrying. In the end we overcame it by plugging the oven directly into the outside 'borne' and ran the MH on gas while lunch was cooking. That didn't blow the 'borne' fuse at all.

Don't think it was a problem with the oven - we had used it a few days before at a 16Amp site (Obernai) and it had worked fine.

Lunch cooked to perfection (well, you know) in the end and entertained a few other French MH'ers who had never seen a halogen oven before. Lucky for us it was just cold and not raining or blizzarding ;)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We have just had this problem. Walked passed the fridge and noticed it flashing trying to go on gas, so put it on gas and started looking for the problem, everything pointed to the fuse, so checked that. That was fine but changed it anyhow. Fridge went onto EHU so thought dodgy fuse, then it went onto gas again. Then I came on here and saw this thread, so am thinking and hopping that this is the solution. We are on 10amp EHU. Would the voltage drop effect anything else, as in the TV is on and nothing happened there. At this moment it is flicking to gas and then EHU every five minutes.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Another good reason this forum is so good, you can always get your problems solved. Everything is fine now. Cheers Lenny HB. (y)

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
We have just had this problem. Walked passed the fridge and noticed it flashing trying to go on gas, so put it on gas and started looking for the problem, everything pointed to the fuse, so checked that. That was fine but changed it anyhow. Fridge went onto EHU so thought dodgy fuse, then it went onto gas again. Then I came on here and saw this thread, so am thinking and hopping that this is the solution. We are on 10amp EHU. Would the voltage drop effect anything else, as in the TV is on and nothing happened there. At this moment it is flicking to gas and then EHU every five minutes.
Mines the same mike and only fours doors down, shite Spanish leccy, not like what us Devon gents are used to

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This happens freqently in Morocco where the voltage can be as low as180v. I bought a voltage stabiliser box which helped but even then there were times when the only solution was to go with the flow and switch to gas.

Its still the same here in Morocco 180 / 190 volts .our Fendt and Rapido van fridges were the small size and worked everywhere even off the inverter or 12 volts off the solar panels but the mh we have now has the larger fridge and won't run off anything less than 230 volts and switches to gas.
But at least gas is only 42 mad ( less than £4 )for an 11 kg exchange bottle over here. :Eeek:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I'm hoping this is what our problem is We are at Merville Franceville and the fridge starts clicking with a solenoid type clicking, not the gas igniter. We've been here a few nights and figured it does it in a morning and a few nights ago when it was cold. So we are assuming it's when demand is high.
All day yesterday it was warm and sunny and no fridge problem, this morning a bit cooler and clicking again during breakfast time.
When it first happened I soon identified a Dometic dealer in Caen which we hopefully won't need now. Moving tomorrow, so see what happens at next site.
Works fine on gas.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I'm hoping this is what our problem is We are at Merville Franceville and the fridge starts clicking with a solenoid type clicking, not the gas igniter. We've been here a few nights and figured it does it in a morning and a few nights ago when it was cold. So we are assuming it's when demand is high.
All day yesterday it was warm and sunny and no fridge problem, this morning a bit cooler and clicking again during breakfast time.
When it first happened I soon identified a Dometic dealer in Caen which we hopefully won't need now. Moving tomorrow, so see what happens at next site.
Works fine on gas.
You have hit the nail on the head there Hettie, ours was exactly the same, crap foreign leccy, it will be fine in the uk

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
You have hit the nail on the head there Hettie, ours was exactly the same, crap foreign leccy, it will be fine in the uk
Not so sure, ours is on our drive and having the same problems
New van obviously with a new fridge/freezer keep meaning to get there engineer out will let you know the outcome when he does come out

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Not so sure, ours is on our drive and having the same problems
New van obviously with a new fridge/freezer keep meaning to get there engineer out will let you know the outcome when he does come out
Get the engineer out, can't be too careful

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
That's because we're currently [geddit] importing some of that "crap foreign leccy" from France :rofl:.

Sorry :getmecoat:
hope you get it sorted.
They must put it through an inverter, this side of the channel tunnel, its built up some speed by the time it gets to devon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back