Jerrym

Free Member
Jul 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo
Exp
Since 2015
Hi My dometic 8505 has stopped working everything seem normal as I can hear it fire up when on gas all the controls operate as the should Just doesn’t cool any ideas?

OP
OP
Jerrym

Jerrym

Free Member
Jul 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo
Exp
Since 2015
Was working last week as normal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Is your van level ?
The fridge needs to be level to work.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm no expert but assuming the gas fires up properly and the jet is clear there is little that can go wrong.

First thing already mentioned, sudden loss of coolant but you would/should have smelled that, it is very pungent (and not good for your health either).
A blockage in the flue would be my favourite guess, see if you can get a narrow brush up inside it - but be careful not to damage or block the gas jet with dislodged crud.
Lastly the heat transfer paste, which transfers from the cooling circuit to the fins inside the fridge, has "failed" though difficult to see how it should fail suddenly.

I'd only suspect the thermistor if either the gas ran all the time or only for a short period.

Does it work on electrical power i.e. on hookup?

What is the outside temperature where you are? Is there any frost forming on the internal fins? Might give us a bit more of a clue.

Oh, one last thing - is the door closed properly? Stupid really but often it's the simple things that fox us all!

OP
OP
Jerrym

Jerrym

Free Member
Jul 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo
Exp
Since 2015
Hi van was level , have not smelt anything unusual no frost showing someone suspected it was the absorption unit and would need a new fridge . By the way it doesn’t on electricity either

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not working on any fuel sounds like the coolant unit has lost its refrigerant.
If it was a thermostat fault I wouldn't expect the gas burner to light.

Are both sets of fins in the fridge & freezer not getting cold as I was wondering if the fins in the fridge were lose and not making contact with the refrigerant pipe.

OP
OP
Jerrym

Jerrym

Free Member
Jul 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo
Exp
Since 2015
Hi thanks for info there’s no temperature change on either set of fins it’s looking like a new fridge more and more

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When was the last time you had it working on EHU and is your gas flame blue and "roaring" when it's lit ?

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Ours stopped working - we had looking back had overloaded it.

We emptied it (food from freezer had to be chucked, rest in a cool box) and took advice from Chris+Tracy to switch off for a couple of day to let the thermostat reset itself. Same time we cleaned all the vents.

When we switched it back on it worked fine?!!

We have no idea why that cured it and must admit we check the thermometer every day but worth a try as easiest and cheapest option to start.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back