Dometic fridge/ freezer/ oven tower won't work on 12v power (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,

We're going away this afternoon and on checking the fridge/freezer (Dometic Tec Tower) it won't operate on 12v. It's fine on gas and 240v though.

I've checked the fuse and all seems fine.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I know nothing about 12v , but it’s not something daft like the fridge only works on 12 v after the engine has been running for X amount of minutes. Just that I usually get caught out by daft things. Haha.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Normally they'll only show they're working off the battery with the engine running. Is it set to Auto? We sometimes have to turn ours off and then switch it back on as it seems to get stuck on the 240v setting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. (y)

I just checked the manual troubleshooting guide and it states "check the fuse"!! As if I didn't do that already. But that is all it says (other than check Digital+ which means nada to me).

You may well have a point though; I thought something similar like it only operates on 12v when there is an absence of 240v (so much the same as your point) and as we're still at home it has 240v. Maybe I'll go out and drop the mains to see if that works.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Normally they'll only show they're working off the battery with the engine running. Is it set to Auto?

No, not set to auto (set to 240v) but will try setting to auto and drop the mains power to see if it goes to gas or 12v

Cheers

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. (y)

I just checked the manual troubleshooting guide and it states "check the fuse"!! As if I didn't do that already. But that is all it says (other than check Digital+ which means nada to me).

You may well have a point though; I thought something similar like it only operates on 12v when there is an absence of 240v (so much the same as your point) and as we're still at home it has 240v. Maybe I'll go out and drop the mains to see if that works.

D+ refers to the relay that latches when the alternator is giving 14+ V output

Our D+ relay actually failed on our Mercedes Hymer, also meant we couldn't operate our E + P luckily it failed with the legs up

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No, not set to auto (set to 240v) but will try setting to auto and drop the mains power to see if it goes to gas or 12v

Cheers
Peter when you drop 230vac and in auto, it will only go to gas, UNLESS you have the engine running. This puts a signal on the D+ in the connector box.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Whilst not relevant to you current distress, your Tower is recent enough to have the S+ connection too. If your solar regulator has an S+ out then you can run a connection from it to the S+ on the aforementioned connection box on the fridge. This will have the effect of switching to 12vdc when there is excess solar and worth exploring on another day.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
You are all amazing! Thank you so much for your advice and wisdom.
Whilst I still have to test it with the engine running to see if it works, I was hoping the fridge/freezer would run off the leisure battery whilst we're on the 24-hour crossing to Santander. This seems not to be possible though.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Whilst not relevant to you current distress, your Tower is recent enough to have the S+ connection too. If your solar regulator has an S+ out then you can run a connection from it to the S+ on the aforementioned connection box on the fridge. This will have the effect of switching to 12vdc when there is excess solar and worth exploring on another day.

You are too smart by half young man!

Cheers for that, I'll spend my holiday getting that wiring installed (not) but even that is still not likely to solve the issue of keeping the freezer cold on the ferry
(unless they put us on the top outside deck of course) :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You are all amazing! Thank you so much for your advice and wisdom.
Whilst I still have to test it with the engine running to see if it works, I was hoping the fridge/freezer would run off the leisure battery whilst we're on the 24-hour crossing to Santander. This seems not to be possible though.
Ours would run off 12v when the engine is off BUT I would not do it as it would take too much out of the batteries I think.

Martin

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you one and all for helping. You're all amazing

I was actually trying to get it to operate on 12v off the leisure battery whilst on the crossing to Santander tonight

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

I was actually trying to get it to operate on 12v off the leisure battery whilst on the crossing to Santander tonight
I fear that if you had succeeded you might well have destroyed you leisure battery by the time you reached Santander.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Best thing to do is to freeze several plastic milk bottles and leave them in the fridge whilst you are crossing, and don't keep Checking the fridge.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Errrr ask the crew for a hookup on the boat

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Errrr ask the crew for a hookup on the boat
That's what I was thinking too ... I'm sure some people have said they have been able to do that.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
BUT be aware that many ships electric supply is vulnerable to spikes which has been know to ruin motorhome electric boxes (EBL/Schaudt etc) unless you have something like a Schaudt OVP installed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
BUT be aware that many ships electric supply is vulnerable to spikes which has been know to ruin motorhome electric boxes (EBL/Schaudt etc) unless you have something like a Schaudt OVP installed
Yep EBL' also don't like low volts. I fitted an AVS30 when I knew I was going on a Greek ferry.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I fear that if you had succeeded you might well have destroyed your leisure battery by the time you reached Santander.

It's a Mastervolt Lithium system and would have shut down if the voltage got too low so not an issue I'm sure. As it was, the frozen freezer blocks I stuffed into it had all defrosted by the time we arrived in Santander. The only issue was that the Brie was ready to be eaten so I duly obliged. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's a Mastervolt Lithium system and would have shut down if the voltage got too low so not an issue I'm sure. As it was, the frozen freezer blocks I stuffed into it had all defrosted by the time we arrived in Santander. The only issue was that the Brie was ready to be eaten so I duly obliged. (y)
Not too much I hope ... hubby ate a load once and he spent a lot of time 'talking' to the toilet from both ends! o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back