Dometic Fridge Freezer Fault Model RM7605L (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi All - I am new to the forum so wanted to say hello first - Hello !

I have the above fridge freezer in the motorhome that won't get cold at all - the power comes on, on the 240v 12V and Gas and I have even bought winter covers for the vents incase it was the cold - however this has not had any effect.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the fault could be - where should I check first - have anyone else had the same or similar problem.

Thank you

Chris

Deleted User
I had a similar issue after a loss of coolant - this was terminal so hopefully someone will have a less expensive solution.

have you ever noticed a strange smell? (Ammonia?)

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi and welcome
Is the motorhome level,fridge wont work if it's more than a few degrees out of level.

Patrick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi. Yes the MH is level and we have not smelt any Ammonia smells. It’s odd.
We did have someone look at it who thought the gas side of things needed a service and cleaned the flu. They did this and tested it saying itdroppped 5 degrees in temperature but really after a weekend of use there is no difference

can we get it re filled with the fluid if it’s that

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Has the fridge never worked during your ownership or is this a recently occurring problem?

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi. No it did work and then stopped. We got someone out to look at it and they apparently fixed it and said it needed a service however I wasn’t there. My wife was there. We tried it over the weekend and it wasn’t working at all.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Gregors
If you paid for a repair should you not ask the engineer to return? Did they not give any guarantee on their work?

Surely you should give them the chance to examine their repair.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi yes they are coming back however can’t get back for a few weeks until the end of March and really need something before then so just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and there’s a quick fix thanks

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi yes they are coming back however can’t get back for a few weeks until the end of March and really need something before then so just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and there’s a quick fix thanks
OK.

Sorry to hear that. Total failure on all three power sources seems odd. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members on the Forum may be able to make suggestions.

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Cheers. Yes very odd as all three turn on but nothing gets cool

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I share mickyc's fears, having had the same ourselves, lost refrigerant gas which can not be mended, new fridge freezer best bit of £2000 once fitted and we found a discounted one :oops:

best of luck

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It probably needs a 12v control feed to work on any of the 3 energy sources so check that out, ours is wired back to the 12v fuse box.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
At the back of the fridge at the bottom of the cooling pipework is where the three heat sources are. Usually on the right. If you take off the lower vent grille, you should be able to feel if the pipes are getting warm. If there's no sign of heat, then the control board is not working, or the 12V power to it has failed.

If there is heat, then there's something wrong with the cooling circuit. if it's cooling a bit but not very much, the thermal paste between the cooling pipes and the metal inside the fridge/freezer might have dried out and lost contact.

As a last resort, before scrapping the whole thing, you could take out the fridge and stand it upside down for 24 hours. This has been known to get the fridge working again.

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi All,

Thanks all for your comments - I shall have a look on saturday as see what I can work out when I'm in front of the motorhome. Do hope its not a replacement though as it sounds quite costly. One other things I'm based in Shepperton Middlesex near J11/12 on M25. Can anyone recommend a good engineer if needed. Thanks Chris

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi Just to confirm that the interior light on the fridge comes on when the door is open. As do the lights on the controls when I turn on the Gas, 12V, 240V or Auto - would this indicate that the power to the fridge is all O.K and there are no blown fuses before I go down that road.

I didn't get a chance to take the side vent off last night due to the rain and dark to check the pipes by the heaters

Many thanks Chris

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Because of the working principle and method of construction of an absorption fridge the almost never (never heard of one) leak. If they did you would see liquid as well as possibly smell ammonia. A common fault explained to me by a Dometic engineer after my Tech Tower failed is caused by debris blocking a restricter in the cooling circuit. He had a theory that cheaper steel used in the cooling unit had inclusions that corroded when the refrigerant chemicals separated out during periods of non-use. One of the chemicals is saline and once separated it is corrosive. The symptoms are that the fridge suddenly stops working. Most times, if left for 24 hours before restarting, it will work correctly until next time it fails. Sometimes it'll work for a few weeks, sometimes for a few hours. A replacement cooling unit is the only answer if it is this fault.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I was talking to an old timer industrial absorption engineer when we had our fridge trouble. He said the blockages get in the u-tube, if you look on the left hand side of the condenser you'll see it (this is what you try and clear by turning it upside down) there should be additives in the refrigerants to stop internal rusting happening. He said some absorption systems work for years and years with no problems. And others go wrong while new, unpredictable and not a lot you can do about it ?

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi - thanks Tony /Richard, I shall have a look tomorrow and see what I can find from a small investigation. I must say I have already taken the unit out and turned it upside down. I left it for a week before turning it back and re installing it ! Almost dropped it on my Dad bless him :) Unfortunately it didn't work !

Tony I shall have a look into the replacement cooling unit as well as I am guessing it a lot cheaper option then a new fridge.

Chris

Jul 20, 2018
Funster No
Mine did just this and it was the main circuit board £150 only way to find out is to try a new one . Easy to fit but get a dometic engineer to swap it no fix no fee before you regas or replace .

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi Richard, so there could be light at the end of the tunnel...
We do have an engineer coming out towards the end of next month so was trying to come up with a solution before - maybe they can bring this part with them. Thanks Chris

OP
OP
Gregors
Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi Doug,

Good call - I shall check this - I did notice that it came off they other day when I was turning it so it would be worth a look for sure ! chris

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
See my Help Fridge not working new circuit board common problem 175 pounds fitted

tony dellar

Free Member
Sep 12, 2017
Funster No
Take it out turn it upside down , you should hear liquid trickling around , shake it around vigorously to mix up the chemicals . Leave for half an hour , turn right side up and reinstall leave for another half hour the try it on 240v it should be ok if its not lost pressure . This is not a joke it works , mine is 25 years old and it helped , I also took off the freezer door so I can,t keep any frozen stuff but my beers are well chilly ! Ps mine is an electrolux !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back