Dometic fridge confusion / frustration (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So a quick refresher

While on Arran back in August, we forgot (again) to lock the fridge door before moving off our pitch, this time the consequences were far more serious than any prior oversight. The fridge door literally come off its hinges and ended up down beside me in the drivers seat

A fridge door fully loaded with milk, tonic water, beer etc is pretty heavy, we now know to our cost. The design of our kitchen is such that a hinge towards the front of the MH was best option for day to day use, but the door lock became far more critical as if not locked it will swing very quickly to the limit of the hinges, then depending on the terminal velocity achieved it will either bounce back, or rips itself off, probably like ours smashing the pathetically flimsy plastic pivot point on the bottom of the door

Luckily there was just enough of the fitting left to sort of relocate and lock, just about OK but door falls off if not very careful when opening

So what next

Options

the only repair needed is way beyond my technical ability

a new door will give us a solution, but still liable to exactly the same damage, although not locking the door is now less likely to happen, we are though getting more and more forgetful daily, so not my ideal fix

a new fridge it will have to be, the new style doors have a positive locking close each time it is used, so that will do, but the price £££££?? :Eeek::groan:

Never mind it will be a much better unit when done

We already have the feature of AES auto energy selection, very clever looks for mains power first, then gas, unless engine running, when engine stops you have 15 minutes to hook up or the gas cuts back in, we like that so decide to stick with it at a £300 option

Order new fridge, having checked sizes spec etc, hinge preference as new ones cant be reversed, what you buy is what you keep. Told it will be with us in 5 days, no problem we don't go away for 2 weeks yet

Not with us in 5 days, or 8 or 10, 12th day begin to panic we now leave in 5 days, chase supplier, coincidentally it arrives with them that day and shipped straight out to us, arriving last Thursday, unpacked checked over, looks good, controls are in a different position but that gives a slightly bigger fridge

Rang Terry (we like Terry) arranged to go over on Friday to have it swapped

All going well, couple of screws play hard to get, but that won't stop a Terry (we like Terry), just about to pull it out, Terry notices an extra gas pipe (we don't like Terry quite as much) but he is only helping

It is a tight fit but looks like it will come out, but is still tight at the top in particular, the extra gas pipe has me worried and thinking,

Then I have one those awful Eureka moments

Our existing fridge has controls for the cooker, which is mounted above the fridge, on the fridge control panel and although the cooker is technically a separate unit it is attached to the bloody fridge. We could take it out and disconnect but then we would have no cooker, tempting as it is next to useless, but not really an option. Who in their right mind would link them together

So push fridge back in, replace screws with new ones where needed (we like Terry again by the way)have a laugh about it and just then Bev rings to see how we are getting on, so she joins in the laugh (nearly all at me by the way)

It does seem that nearly everything on our MH is a one off

So we are off to France / Spain on Tuesday with a still broken fridge door, but will be buying a new door when we get back, same style is this one and hope we remember the lock each time, or carry less milk maybe

Not sure there is really a moral in here, but I can hear my dear old long departed Dad shouting 'measure twice cut once', similar I guess, I will check and double check next time, or that at least is what I should do, but that is not my style

Anybody in the market for a brand new Dometic fridge freezer, make me a half decent offer and its in stock waiting collection :D

It is hinged on the left, no packing, never thought I would need to return it!! still got film on door, absolutely as new, I have even fitted the shelves for you (y)

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/cara...rption-caravan-motorhome-fridge-refrigerator/

Cart Items
Qty
Item Price
Item Total
Dometic 3 Way RMD 8555 Absorption Caravan Motorhome Fridge Refrigerator

(Special Order Only 3-5 Day Delivery)
£1,275.00 GBP
£1,275.00 GBP
Subtotal:
£1,275.00 GBP
Shipping:
£29.95 GBP
Grand Total:
£1,304.95 GBP
VAT Included in Total:
£217.49 GBP

Payment method:
Card Payments
Jacksons Leisure Supplies http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Bu##er me every day a learning day for me! Trouble with vans is you only really learn about it when it goes wrong and as I have the diy skills of a meerkat for me it's always a disaster!:D
Good luck and enjoy your travels!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When you say cooker I'm assuming you mean oven/grill? scrap it! use the space for storage or a microwave.
We have no oven or grill and wifey manages fine

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When you say cooker I'm assuming you mean oven/grill? scrap it! use the space for storage or a microwave.
We have no oven or grill and wifey manages fine

sounds a decent idea, will mean we have to sort out an inverter, but that is on the cards anyway, will have a think while away and make some plans (y)

you are of course right I did mean oven / grill and it is not much use anyway

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
David just save yourself all this trouble and buy a new van...simples

Carthago anyone?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Besides I heard Terry declare his louvre for Bev, don't encourage him by breaking more stuff!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David
A bit late I know but my door opens if full so we travel with something infront of it to save it swinging open, sorry for your troubles. Pete

nice idea Pete, trouble is the fridge is about 15" off the floor and we would still have to remember to put something there before moving off

Memory is not one of my stronger features any more

Could maybe train Lola better to sit is same place for the journeys :LOL:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Get the new Frankia Platinum on a Merc - its got all the toys as standard plus 4 x 90watt solar panels. Frankia fit ovens as we know them - not ones that you can scald yourself on.

Its only £140k not bad when you see the N+B Flair at a similar price:eek:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Get the new Frankia Platinum on a Merc - its got all the toys as standard plus 4 x 90watt solar panels. Frankia fit ovens as we know them - not ones that you can scald yourself on.

Daren't open and look at the price, will have a quick peep while away, see if lottery comes while in France :D

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Its £140,000 but you can change/add stuff at the order stage so you can effectively get a bespoke van. The only extra is the Efoy.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Its £140,000 but you can change/add stuff at the order stage so you can effectively get a bespoke van. The only extra is the Efoy.

just watched the video, that a huge internal length on a twin axle, does look the business though

great locker configurations

definitely on the wish list (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Besides I heard Terry declare his louvre for Bev, don't encourage him by breaking more stuff!
Oye Mosey I said Bev looked cool (y) but did not declare my love :) in fact super cool/ice cool winding her awning in /coolest ever (y):LOL:
You trying to get me in trouble ?:whistle: seems everyone I talk to, I get talked about :DI don't need David to break things just so I can go fix it and get Bevs coffee-I think I am welcome even when things ain't broke :D
terry

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977

You can even have a fridge that locks. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back