Dometic Freshwell Aircon - under bench ? (1 Viewer)

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Looking for some advice on Aircon please.
Our van is at the dealers to initially have a Dometic Freshlight 3200 fitted. Our van is 8.2 metres long so they told us we needed this more powerful aircon.
Problem is they now say the freshlight is too heavy for the centre of the roof (32kg ) . This surprises me but they say they have spoken to Dethleffs about it .
The dealer now suggests an under bench unit - Dometic Freshwell 3000. This is fitted under the bench seating somewhere and has the airflow ducted up through cupboards to a vent near the ceiling .
I’m a bit concerned about the power of these units and also where the ducting vents will be cut . I certainly don’t want big holes in my overhead locker doors .
Does anyone have any experience of these units , or this type of unit ?
Are they any good ?
I attach a couple of pics to assist with context .
Thanks in advance for any views or experience of these.
Russ.

Attachments

• 67B1E955-3B03-4AA7-B76D-C2BE450DF10F.png
    67B1E955-3B03-4AA7-B76D-C2BE450DF10F.png
    384.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 5771619A-98B1-4362-B4EE-AF9316676702.png
    5771619A-98B1-4362-B4EE-AF9316676702.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 101

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
32kg too heavy. ... Well make sure you store the van indoors in winter, you don't want a foot of snow on the roof.

On a more useful note, ducted aircon will be more efficient at distribution than a simple roof mount unit.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
I fitted a Truma unit once which was quiet as exhaust air was under van, as long a vents are routed to roof level ( cold air drops) and you draw recycled air from van via a large grill it will work well, but I fitted vents front middle and rear as in your picture. Also it took ages as I hate to see cables and pipes and to do a good job you need time.

As an option the Truma sapphire can run off 12v with an inverter as you drive along and also runs via the inet and cp plus control panel so may be an option but still needs vents up top.

Or how about firing two smaller roof units like an American Rv to distribute air evenly and you can choose to run one or two depending on amps available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
how about firing two smaller roof units like an American Rv to distribute air evenly and you can choose to run one or two depending on amps available.
Mine would only run both when running the 5.5kw (50amps @110v) generator, it was wired NOT to run both at the same time on hookup.... Not enough amps (32amps) from the 230/110v converter.
Each 110v aircon needed 20amps.

VERY noisy and still only blew fore and aft.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
But the new truma and dometic units run on less amps and are much quieter

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
We thought about this new truma unit but the only place we could store it would be under our island bed and my other half was worried about all the vents being installed as have wardrobes and over the bed cabinets and meant our air con would be situated at rear of a 7.4 m MH. We have an escape 694 would love to hear how well it works from someone who has installed it. We were told it is professionally fitted by truma as after fit so I would have thought it would look professional but we are worried as a new MH,

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Wardrobes and cupboards are great for pipe runs, mine was at the rear of I think a 7m van, air flow was great one of the outlets is stronger than the others and used that to reach front of van, or just fit a roof unit in bedroom lots of foreign vans do it’s mainly at night the cooling is needed.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Looking for some advice on Aircon please.
Our van is at the dealers to initially have a Dometic Freshlight 3200 fitted. Our van is 8.2 metres long so they told us we needed this more powerful aircon.
Problem is they now say the freshlight is too heavy for the centre of the roof (32kg ) . This surprises me but they say they have spoken to Dethleffs about it .
The dealer now suggests an under bench unit - Dometic Freshwell 3000. This is fitted under the bench seating somewhere and has the airflow ducted up through cupboards to a vent near the ceiling .
I’m a bit concerned about the power of these units and also where the ducting vents will be cut . I certainly don’t want big holes in my overhead locker doors .
Does anyone have any experience of these units , or this type of unit ?
Are they any good ?
I attach a couple of pics to assist with context .
Thanks in advance for any views or experience of these.
Russ.
I would speak to Dethleffs personally, and ask their opinion

The Freshjet is much lighter than the Freshlight

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Mine would only run both when running the 5.5kw (50amps @110v) generator, it was wired NOT to run both at the same time on hookup.... Not enough amps (32amps) from the 230/110v converter.
Each 110v aircon needed 20amps.

VERY noisy and still only blew fore and aft.

Surprised at that John, my two run quite happily on A 16amp connection.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back