Dometic freezer door won’t open (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
We have a Dometic fridge freezer and the freezer door won’t open, I suspect the two finger operating button is no longer connecting with the release arm, any idea how to get it open, Please, no crowbar suggestions

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If the freezer is running it may be that the door seal has frozen ... some caravan type fridge / freezers have a heating device fitted to prevent this... may be worth checking yours.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I would gently lever the plastic piece out of the way to expose the metal part, then open it.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Ours did this I removed the front decor panel then released the catch with a thin screwdriver the lock had frozen inside Paul and Chrissy 3D printed a new improved lever for me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would suggest the heating element in the door frame has failed and the door is frozen closed.
Try a hair drier around the seal before butchering it.
Our home freezer door frame gets just about too hot to touch at times

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Twoleftfeet
May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
Door seals not frozen the button is failing to connect to the metal lever inside, I’ve managed to get a thin piece of metal between the seal an frame in an effort to raise the lever but no success, it’s only 3 years old and I’m wondering if it’s possible to remove the door from the hinged end, I have limited tools with me as I’m in Spain

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If it’s this type the plastic leaver inside snaps as the lock will be frozen in side remove the decor panel warm the lock from the rear with a hair drier then you can release it, I do have one of these spare.
741380C1-7489-4665-8E27-E81843FB6B65.png

OP
OP
Twoleftfeet
May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
Thanks for your suggestion, my fridge is a series 8 with two finger button that you push up, I’m unsure if the picture is the lock I need as I’ve never had the need to study it, does this mechanism attach to the said two finger button??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It’s Dometic 8series fridge freezer if that helps?
The metal latch freezes, sometimes turning the frame heater on for an hour or two helps but the latch is inboard from the seal so doesn't always work. Otherwise, just turn the fridge off for a few hours.

Had it happen a couple of times on our last van and it's always when you want to get dinner out. Since then we have always kept the latch in the up position and rely on the magnetic seal to keep the door closed.

OP
OP
Twoleftfeet
May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
Position so far, Décor cover removed(very carefully). To reveal a strip of thermal tape under that is thin strip of insulation, now exposed is the rod that pushes the now broken cheap plastic arm, all I’m left to do is try and move the broken piece up and down with a small electrical screwdriver, I guess it could be called keyhole surgery🥴. I’ll have another go at it tomorrow. Many thanks for all the suggestions but it’s down to persistence, failing that I’ll take the doors off when I’m home

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Position so far, Décor cover removed(very carefully). To reveal a strip of thermal tape under that is thin strip of insulation, now exposed is the rod that pushes the now broken cheap plastic arm, all I’m left to do is try and move the broken piece up and down with a small electrical screwdriver, I guess it could be called keyhole surgery🥴. I’ll have another go at it tomorrow. Many thanks for all the suggestions but it’s down to persistence, failing that I’ll take the doors off when I’m home
Once you have warmed the lock area up ie remove the foam tape first you can defrost the lock mech, you have to press down on the end of the metal lever for the hook to lift and release.

OP
OP
Twoleftfeet
May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
Eureka, up early this morning, as I found it difficult to rest with our Christmas dinner stuck in the freezer😕. Two bits of good luck, 1. The hair dryer lead just reached, 2. The help I received from you and others on the forum 🙏. Lock now permanently disengage. Nice XS650, I’ve had a couple of those 👍

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Eureka, up early this morning, as I found it difficult to rest with our Christmas dinner stuck in the freezer😕. Two bits of good luck, 1. The hair dryer lead just reached, 2. The help I received from you and others on the forum 🙏. Lock now permanently disengage. Nice XS650, I’ve had a couple of those 👍
When I renewed the lever I also insulated the inside of the lock mech with 4mm thick adhesive draft excluder as to stop ice forming inside of the lock mech again.

OP
OP
Twoleftfeet
May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
Good idea, you previously said you have a spare one, I’ll buy it from you if you don’t need it, if you PM me with a price I’ll make arrangements to pay when I’m back in the UK, Thanks again for your help 🙏

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Good idea, you previously said you have a spare one, I’ll buy it from you if you don’t need it, if you PM me with a price I’ll make arrangements to pay when I’m back in the UK, Thanks again for your help 🙏

Can you not do away with the plastic bit and put a piece in its place that sticks out a bit further.

I had some catches made for the older model fridge freezer.

Sold them all at cost plus postage as there was a minimum order I had to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back