Dometic B2200 needs regassing? (1 Viewer)

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Dometic B2200 air conditioning unit on the top of my motorhome. Although everything seems to work, lights, fans, compressor etc. it refuses to pump out cold air anymore. Dometic seem to think that it needs regassing but are being far from helpful answering direct questions. So, anyone out there think they can help???
Question 1. Can the unit be regassed?
Question 2. How long does the procedure take?
Question 3. Who (names please) can do this?

I have seen one Dometic engineer who said (after 5 mins on the roof) that the compressor needed replacing (£800+). I spoke with Dometic who said that it was extremely unusual for a compressor to fail and they doubted the diagnosis. So I am stuck in the middle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you dont regularly at least once a month run the units, the seals tend to dry out and lose the gas, excatly the same with AC in cars

Peter

OP
OP
motorhome42

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your response. I understand this but the questions still remain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a Dometic B2200 air conditioning unit on the top of my motorhome. Although everything seems to work, lights, fans, compressor etc. it refuses to pump out cold air anymore. Dometic seem to think that it needs regassing but are being far from helpful answering direct questions. So, anyone out there think they can help???
Question 1. Can the unit be regassed?
Question 2. How long does the procedure take?
Question 3. Who (names please) can do this?

I have seen one Dometic engineer who said (after 5 mins on the roof) that the compressor needed replacing (£800+). I spoke with Dometic who said that it was extremely unusual for a compressor to fail and they doubted the diagnosis. So I am stuck in the middle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you just need to try another air-con company. Re-gassing will be relatively cheap and is worth trying before shelling out for a new compressor.

Tim

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Extremely unlikely to be the compressor, would have thought most air con garages with a regasser machine could do it subject to cables being long enough

Your too far away from us to have a look

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Have you read this
Broken Link Removed

It is not unusual for electric compressors to fail in AC units, a skilled AC engineer will test compressor easily with a simple circuit test. A failed compressor usually shows up as a direct short to earth.

You need a commercial AC / Fridge engineer to look at the system. A gas shortage can only come from a leak. It is illegal to simply re gas these systems without firstly fixing the leak.

Good luck!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
One of my sons is a refrigeration engineer and he does the units on the lorries which are pretty high up. Obviously he is a bit far away for you.

VivaroSteve

Free Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Vivaro Camper Van
Exp
I'm a newbie
Unsure if you sorted this out.
I worked as a Fridge Man for many years, repairing many cars as well building AC units etc.
Car AC do need running regularly to keep the shaft seal lubricated, this type of unit is hermetically sealed like a domestic fridge so no need to run regularly,but it can't hurt.
I did change a compressor on one of these in the late 1990's, so they do fail.
£800+ sounds a lot, but maybe an expensive compressor, but maybe just an expensive engineer.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
One of our customers recently had a similar problem with his I'm sure he said it turned out to be a problem on a circuit board I think he had it repaired under warranty at Simpsons

OP
OP
motorhome42

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Fulltimer and thanks for your reply. We are in Portugal at the moment hence the delay in contacting you. The problem remains with only the first 2-3 inches of thin bore pipe freezing when the compressor starts. You mention a circuit board - where is it and how would I know if that was causing the problem? As I've said before Dometic simply do not want to know.

Regards

Mark

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Not sure where this board is or much about the units and at the moment I can't get in contact with the fellow as he is also on his travels, I'm pretty sure he got it sorted at Simpsons near Lowestoft.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back