Dometic and Smev prices (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Is there no way that we can get around the ridiculous prices charged for parts by Dometic and Smev (same company) who more or less have a monopoly on parts for motorhomes. On another thread I see screw covers at £8 for 4 little bungs. I could do with a Smev sink strainer which is £36 for a fragile bit of plastic. I also know of people having replacement parts specially manufactured and still decimating their costs. Usually the orientals come up with replacement parts (not copies of course) where there is a market. Is there nobody in this country to spot a market opportunity? Perhaps there is and I do not know about it.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
See if you can find a part number for the item required. Then Google it. I did this with some fridge parts (shelf and some plastic bits which had cracked) for the motorhome and found the same parts were used on a normal household fridge. About a tenth of the price of the Dometic parts. I guess they can't make every single part themselves and dig into the general parts bin for many items. Might be worth a try.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Your not wrong, I find it impossible to justify this price for a stove top. Total madness.

B30A1A15-C4F4-4E9F-9900-6D8C15494C3D.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Indeed I replaced our sink plug strainer for £32. Have kept receipt and will claim against the company should the silver coating fail within 12 months like the original fitted from new. I ignored the fact that it did peel but still worked. When the original failed fell apart I then found the cost of replacement extortionate. So if it even slightly peels I will be seeking an immediate replacement

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I do not think the Hymer, Aldi Smev sink strainer is available elsewhere but believe the price asked is scandalous.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't buy a new strainer
change the van.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Your not wrong, I find it impossible to justify this price for a stove top. Total madness.

View attachment 554385
It's that price because the Item is out of stock, but the sellers increase the price to keep the listing "live"

I'm after a smev sink unit and are listed at a similar price, and have been waiting since the beginning of the year for stock

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Usually the orientals come up with replacement parts (not copies of course) where there is a market. Is there nobody in this country to spot a market opportunity? Perhaps there is and I do not know about it.
I guess the volumes are too small for the Chinese volume oriented production lines and likewise too little demand to justify the tooling cost for U.K. companies.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I said on another thread, send the knackered one to PaulandChrissy and he will design and 3d print something similar, but much better quality

Indeed I replaced our sink plug strainer for £32. Have kept receipt and will claim against the company should the silver coating fail within 12 months like the original fitted from new. I ignored the fact that it did peel but still worked. When the original failed fell apart I then found the cost of replacement extortionate. So if it even slightly peels I will be seeking an immediate replacement

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It's that price because the Item is out of stock, but the sellers increase the price to keep the listing "live"

I'm after a smev sink unit and are listed at a similar price, and have been waiting since the beginning of the year for stock
I contacted Dometic re a similar part and was told they are available in Germany:oops:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's partially the consequence of a relatively small market and little competition and the same in lots of other things not just related to motorhomes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back