Dometic airconditioners servicing (1 Viewer)

Dec 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
HYMER B 634SL DUO
Question.Does anybody know of Air-conditioning Engineers who are capable and willing to look at and get my Dometic 2200 airconditioner working.The unit is blowing and heating OK but not cooling.I assumed like earlier car AC,s it was a matter of recharging.However I now understand they are sealed units and that after 6 -7 years they should be replaced!.At £2,500 not too pleased at that thought,and does not seem very environmentally friendly .Ideally if there is anybody the Cheshire area would be good but I am beginning to realise I may have to travel.Strangly every Dometic installer I have contacted does not offer a servicing facility.The unit is 7 years old and hardly been used.
Any tips any body.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Question.Does anybody know of Air-conditioning Engineers who are capable and willing to look at and get my Dometic 2200 airconditioner working.The unit is blowing and heating OK but not cooling.I assumed like earlier car AC,s it was a matter of recharging.However I now understand they are sealed units and that after 6 -7 years they should be replaced!.At £2,500 not too pleased at that thought,and does not seem very environmentally friendly .Ideally if there is anybody the Cheshire area would be good but I am beginning to realise I may have to travel.Strangly every Dometic installer I have contacted does not offer a servicing facility.The unit is 7 years old and hardly been used.
Any tips any body.

Does it heat by reversing the system or is it just a heating element in it?

They are sealed, like all air conditioners but they can all be regassed even if there is no gauge access point one can be fitted for a few quid. Whoever said they only last 6 years doesn't know what they're talking about. Car/van cab A/C sometimes needs regassing because the compressor drive shaft is driven from the engine and the seals round it can wear and leak, also stones and salt can attack the condenser. But the one on your roof has none of those problems and should last years.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Any tips any body.
Hi, these units are hermetically sealed for life.

As such, they don’t usually need re-gassing or as I like to state, re-charging. As this is the case, they don’t usually come with an access point or charging stub. That said, we can always braze one on.

If you say it’s not that old. I doubt it’s a compressor issue. As the compressors are pretty much bulletproof .self, lubricating and as they are sealed, not usually an issue .

Where are you based in the vast county of Cheshire? .

Send me a PM if you need more advice or assistance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E765

As such, they don’t usually need re-gassing or as I like to state, re-charging. As this is the case, they don’t usually come with an access point or charging stub. That said, we can always braze one on.

If you say it’s not that old. I doubt it’s a compressor issue. As the compressors are pretty much bulletproof .self, lubricating and as they are sealed, not usually an issue .

Hi, I have the same B2200 which doesn't produce any cold air. The Compressor runs as do all the fans and I can't find any evidence of oil/a leak in the system. High pressure side doesn't get hot either. I am in Burnley and happy to travel. (I tried to find DM but can't locate it)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I’m interested in this thread too as I have a Dometic air con on the roof and currently here in Spain (38degC) it’s blowing warm air.
I’m in a west Yorks so not too far from Burnley & Cheshire depending on where in Cheshire.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi, I have the same B2200 which doesn't produce any cold air. The Compressor runs as do all the fans and I can't find any evidence of oil/a leak in the system. High pressure side doesn't get hot either. I am in Burnley and happy to travel. (I tried to find DM but can't locate it)
Hi

Maybe you can't send me a DM because you are not a subscriber ?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Roy Howland Have a look on the label, it's usually on exterior lhs, and / or inside cover.
It'll tell you what coolant gas is used, if it's a B2200, it'll probably be C407R which is now prohibited from use and I understand gases currently permitted are not suitable for use in this unit ☹️

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Roy Howland Have a look on the label, it's usually on exterior lhs, and / or inside cover.
It'll tell you what coolant gas is used, if it's a B2200, it'll probably be C407R which is now prohibited from use and I understand gases currently permitted are not suitable for use in this unit ☹️
R407c you mean? 😊

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
BOC are still selling R407c as suitable for new equipment?

BOC won't sell it to you unless you have an account. That and F-Gas

That and they are the most expensive in the business.

We used to use them for OFN and Oxygen, but the costs are eye watering. They charge you to collect the gas if you don't get it delivered which is also a rocking fortune. Then they charge you for the gases, fair enough. But their monthly bottle rentals are crazy.

We now use an alternative company that charge a one off bottle fee, plus the gas. No rental charges, keep as long as you like. take the empty back and simply pay for the gas.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

We used to use them for OFN and Oxygen, but the costs are eye watering. They charge you to collect the gas if you don't get it delivered which is also a rocking fortune. Then they charge you for the gases, fair enough. But their monthly bottle rentals are crazy.

We now use an alternative company that charge a one off bottle fee, plus the gas. No rental charges, keep as long as you like. take the empty back and simply pay for the gas.
you missed the bit where they actually charge you for the invoice to do the above

Aug 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E765

My point was that the original poster said that R407c was now prohibited and could lead to someone making decisions based on this fact alone.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Loads of R407c gas on eBay and self refill kits. I’ve seen a video on YouTube showing you how to add taps to the system so it can be regassed.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Loads of R407c gas on eBay and self refill kits. I’ve seen a video on YouTube showing you how to add taps to the system so it can be regassed.
Taps or LTV’s (line tap valves) are prone to leaking too. We don’t use them other than for gauge analytics.

Fine for DIY. But messing with refrigerant and getting it wrong, you could get your fingers burnt.

Attachments

• FD1D6E9E-02A1-4F13-8932-8987772020B0.jpeg
    FD1D6E9E-02A1-4F13-8932-8987772020B0.jpeg
    862.9 KB · Views: 28

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Taps or LTV’s (line tap valves) are prone to leaking too. We don’t use them other than for gauge analytics.

Fine for DIY. But messing with refrigerant and getting it wrong, you could get your fingers burnt.
Yes correct but all in saying is they can be gassed back up if needs be and I’ll not be touching it that’s for sure.

OP
OP
R
Dec 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
HYMER B 634SL DUO

Hi Eurotrotters
Not picked up on the thread for awhile and noted your reply.Are you an Air-conditioning Engineer?Desperate to find anybody who can get it working.We are based in Nantwich, obviously happy to travel,because that's what we do.

Aug 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E765
Well today was the day of truth for the Air Con unit on my motorhome which has not worked since I purchased it over 2 years ago as I had arranged a visit to the Air Con Doctor aka Eurotrotters.

Well, Eurotrotters came up trumps, was a splendid host and a very friendly guy. So my B2200 is now working like a dream and producing cold air like it should, at a fraction of what a replacement unit would have cost. Deeply indebted to you Eurotrotters!! Cannot recommend strong enough.

Aug 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E765
As these systems are hermetically sealed, firstly an access point had to be brazed on. Then it was leak tested for an hour and no leak was found. So it was then evac'ed, recharged with 430g of R407c refrigerant and lo and behold it worked perfectly.

All in all a perfect job!

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
As these systems are hermetically sealed, firstly an access point had to be brazed on. Then it was leak tested for an hour and no leak was found. So it was then evac'ed, recharged with 430g of R407c refrigerant and lo and behold it worked perfectly.

All in all a perfect job!
Had exactly the same service from a local Dometic agent, they got our old a/c unit fixed and re gassed, it hadn’t worked for five or six years that we know of. We were very pleased but I suspect ours and many others fail due to lack of use which in cars I know isn’t good.

Aug 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E765
All the so called Dometic service centres that I called didn't want anything to do with an old unit other than to fit a new one! Very disappointed with Dometic after service!

The B2200 system is a fully sealed system and supposedly shouldn't need to need run to retain pressure. However, the compressor in your vehicle has a driven shaft and as such requires running at intervals so that the seal remains current by the circulating oil in the system.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 712sb
Exp
All the so called Dometic service centres that I called didn't want anything to do with an old unit other than to fit a new one! Very disappointed with Dometic after service!

The B2200 system is a fully sealed system and supposedly shouldn't need to need run to retain pressure. However, the compressor in your vehicle has a driven shaft and as such requires running at intervals so that the seal remains current by the circulating oil in the system.
The dometic system doesn’t have that type of compressor - it is effectively a sealed steel shell with the compressor suspended on springs within it. Yes - the cab AC should’ve used all year, but hab AC shouldn’t matter. If it’s lost it refrigerant, and it appears it did, then there is a leak source albeit a very small one. It will very likely happen again in time.

Do they have flexible hoses or was it all copper?

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The dometic system doesn’t have that type of compressor - it is effectively a sealed steel shell with the compressor suspended on springs within it. Yes - the cab AC should’ve used all year, but hab AC shouldn’t matter. If it’s lost it refrigerant, and it appears it did, then there is a leak source albeit a very small one. It will very likely happen again in time.

Do they have flexible hoses or was it all copper?
They are all copper, but when pressurised with OFN (oxygen free nitrogen). No leak could be found. Held high pressure. No other option other than to evacuate and recharge the system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back