Dometic 8505 fridge not working on gas... (2 Viewers)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
First outing of the year and the fridge won't work on gas. If we set it to gas or it changes to gas on automatic, straight away the red light and the exclamation mark light start flashing, with intermittent bleeping as well (more exciting than TV really, but I digress).

We don't hear the igniter at all trying to light the gas - could this be the problem and if so is it easily fixable (Mr S not confident...).

Fingers crossed you can help :)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Ours does this when it’s waiting for gas to come through, we press the exclamation mark and restart the process until it lights. It doesn’t click any more once the exclamation mark lights up, sometimes we have to do it five or six times.
We normally go through this as part of our setting off procedure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Not unusual after being laid up for a while. Try lighting the gas ring first to drag some gas through and know that you have gas. Try several times before deciding it will not light. If all else fails, remove the lower outside vent panel and light it with a taper or clean off (gently) any cobwebs that may have appeared.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
There's definitely gas as we've been using the hob for a few days. Can't easily remove the outside vent panel as it is all siliconed in and the dealer is likely to have an attack of the vapours if we remove it!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
First outing of the year and the fridge won't work on gas. If we set it to gas or it changes to gas on automatic, straight away the red light and the exclamation mark light start flashing, with intermittent bleeping as well (more exciting than TV really, but I digress).

We don't hear the igniter at all trying to light the gas - could this be the problem and if so is it easily fixable (Mr S not confident...).

Fingers crossed you can help :)
This happened to us on our trip to Spain this year. Pressing the reset button resulted in a couple of clicks and then nothing. I was able to take the grill and the small metal cover on the right hand side off and could hear the click and see the spark but no flame. Took the van to a Dometic engineer in Spain who used compressed air to clear any debris in the burner and pipes - still no joy. He diagnosed that we needed a new gas valve (van is only 7 months old!!) but didn't have the part. When we got back from our trip I rang at least 5 Dometic approved engineers to try to get someone to have a look at it - all said they were booked up solid for the next 2 months. Van is currently booked in with UK dealer in May to have this fitted. Good luck with yours.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Has the van been serviced and the gas to the fridge turned off by any chance, the fact that you say "straight away" the red light comes on suggests that it's more than needing the burner cleaning, something faulting on start procedure but what is the big question, could be a stuck gas valve?

Martin

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Ours does the trying to light clicking thing a few times before the red light comes on. We just press the red button and try try try again. Sometimes it works first time.
I think it depends on whether gas is in the pipe or it has to wait for it to come through.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There's definitely gas as we've been using the hob for a few days. Can't easily remove the outside vent panel as it is all siliconed in and the dealer is likely to have an attack of the vapours if we remove it!
I am never certain about anything but whether the dealer, an agent for Dometic or you sort out the gas problem, almost certainly the bottom outside vent may have to come off. I am puzzled when you say it is glued in place, for almost all work on the fridge can involve that panel coming off. It is usually held in place by 2 screws which require a quarter quarter turn to release, before gently releasing the cover. Unless your unit is different of course. I am concerned that the light goes red straight away; usually it goes to yellow for a while then red if it fails to ignite.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
The vent covers on ours are secured by a sliding retainer on the left side of vent. A small lug protrudes and needs to be pushed up, probably use a small screwdriver as a drift to move it, that's how Dometic do it. The vent is then praised gently out on left side and a sharp tug should remove it completely. Can't help feeling if vent is fitted with silicon it's either broken or some other problem.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all your help and replies, really appreciate this community.

We've been sidetracked by family for a few days, hence the delay in responding but we will have another look at trying to get the cover off from your advice @joka250 and @rosalan - but think the problem may be more serious as suggested as the igniting isn't sparking at all, just goes straight to red light.

Thanks again everyone and will let you know how we get on

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
You CLEVER CLEVER people! Thanks to you we managed to get the external vent cover off. Then before we tried anything too complicated we tried holding in the red exclamation mark button for a few seconds and Hey Presto we heard that glorious clicking sound of the igniter and all the lights went blue.

Have left it on and will check in half an hour but really think you have cracked it. I feel like turning into that lovely bosomy lady at the end of the Morecambe and Wise show (I think) who came on blowing kisses to everyone and saying "I love you all".... But luckily for you I won't.

Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
Ours does this when it’s waiting for gas to come through, we press the exclamation mark and restart the process until it lights. It doesn’t click any more once the exclamation mark lights up, sometimes we have to do it five or six times.
We normally go through this as part of our setting off procedure.
Some information never gets old, does it!
This 2018 thread has just answered my Google query „RMD8505 not igniting on gas“. Our fridge beeping, not working on gas. It’s a Saturday morning in Germany and we know no Reismobile service places will be open. Stress levels rising, considering finding somewhere with EHU….. then read this thread so pressed and held the red triangle and bingo, solenoid and sparkler click, fridge is running on gas!

Is this a sign something is failing/has failed? Do we need to change a part, or is it just one of those things?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back