Dometic 3 Way Fridge RMD 8555 (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This post is aimed at those members who have first hand knowledge of this Fridge as I'm seeking some information on cleaning the flue and burner.

In the attached picture you should see the burner assy (with the retaining bolt sheared by yours truly when attempting to undo. (Now firmly held in position with wire)).
As I understand it, (and seeking confirmation form informed members) the 'jet' is inside the block at the bottom of the picture and left of the hole. (which I believe is to act as a venturi and draw in air !) There is a rose petal shaped object in the bottom of the shroud and I assume this is the burner arrangement. At present the flame that comes out of this petal arrangement is blue and clean, so my take on this is it does not need cleaning. Question: When servicing this bit what do you replace and what do you clean and how. (I do not want to shear another thread!)
Next question: I attempted to clean the flue from above but after putting my arm down from the top (almost as far as I can go, I found the top of the flue pipe which is about 15-20 mm dia with a Tee piece fitted to the top which I cannot budge. I assume this is removed somehow and then the baffle taken out and then the tube is cleaned with a wire brush ? I would welcome advice on how other members removed the Tee piece and serviced this model of Fridge.

Many kind thanks in advanced.

P1090949.JPG

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I just blow out the cobwebs and debris from the burner part every year, and the flue never seems to have anything in it. I expect it would get a bit sooty only if the jet was burning yellow. Last year the fridge was not keeping up in hot weather, but on inspection, the jet was not as high as usual. I cleaned the jet out with a bristle from a wire brush, and it has been back to normal since. The service manuals for vaporising fridges usually tell you to just blow out any debris when servicing, as there is little else you can do. You should actually be gas safe registered for LPG work to do anything to these fridges, but a yearly blow out or clean with a soft brush shouldnt be classed as repairing or even servicing, but I dont know for sure.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I just blow out the cobwebs and debris from the burner part every year, and the flue never seems to have anything in it. I expect it would get a bit sooty only if the jet was burning yellow. Last year the fridge was not keeping up in hot weather, but on inspection, the jet was not as high as usual. I cleaned the jet out with a bristle from a wire brush, and it has been back to normal since. The service manuals for vaporising fridges usually tell you to just blow out any debris when servicing, as there is little else you can do. You should actually be gas safe registered for LPG work to do anything to these fridges, but a yearly blow out or clean with a soft brush shouldnt be classed as repairing or even servicing, but I dont know for sure.
Thanks Steevie, how did you expose the 'jet' did you unscrew the pipe that goes into the block ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Steevie, I already have this download but it does not cover how to replace the Jet/burner.

Appreciate your efforts all the same.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Philip

The jet is between the pipe and the block, very thin with a small hole in it, you should not need to do anything to this if all is burning OK and I would avoid poking at it. There is a screw holds the T piece on top of the flue but it is a slot not a hole so you just need to loosen it. Once this is off there is a twisted baffle to take out and clean and then you can clean down the flue I pushed a bit of scotchbrite pad down ours with a bit of 2.5 cable. A can of high pressure air is handy for blowing out. After saying all this I work on the if it ain't broke down fix it principle.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks Martin and I agree with you 100%. I just want to be in a position to know what to do should the need arise.
The jet itself is very flimsy and fits over the end of the incoming gas pipe. It is well worth keeping a spare just in case you or someone else is tempted to remove it for cleaning - almost impossible without damaging it. It is designed to be replaced rather than removed and cleaned. Cleaning it in situ with a bristle as suggested is fine.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My fridge wasn't cooling on gas. I cleaned the flue to no improvement.
The jet was burning blue and looked ok. I took the jet out and cleaned it with a strand of copper from a mains cable. Once reassembled I noticed that I gould now hear the flame, which I couldn't do before I cleaned it, but I used to hear it some time back. It solved my issue and the fridge cools really well now.

The flue was not very dirty. While the jet assembly was oit I rana converted bottle brush on a cable through the flue with some alcohol sprayed down to disolve any sooty deposits. Be careful not to drop the twizzley thing at the top of the flue down the flue.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When we had the caravan and it was about 10 years old I was having it serviced and asked the guy to sort the fridge out as it did not cool properly on gas, his answer was Oh you will need a new door seal and you might as well buy a new fridge so he did nothing and it got no better. I took the burner assembly off at the jet and there was lots of very fine rust backed up against the jet, tipped it out of the pipe blew through the jet and job jobbed. On that model fridge the gas pipe call from the controls at the top to the burner at the bottom and the pipe was steel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back