Domestic Seitz window leak ... (1 Viewer)

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, I’ve struggled with a leak at the side and bottom of a Seitz S7 window from new. Yes, even new Hymers leak.

After several bodge attempts by 2 dealers to correct the problem, I’ve come to the conclusion that it may be easier to take it out and refit myself.

My questions is, should I reuse the window or is it possible window construction can lend itself to leaking. The window size is not one normally stocked by UK dealers.

Many thanks to to the experience of the club collective in advance.

Regards Richard

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would think the window would be alright to reuse providing that it’s not damaged where you can’t see and that is causing the problem? But you’ll need to take it out to discover that before purchasing a new one (they are not cheap either) we had to replace some in a previous van😢

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scotties

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks guys, at the moment it‘s covered with electrical tape and I’m waiting for rain.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I moved a vindow I put in by the kitchen to the rear door as I replaced with larger slider at the kitchen. They are S4 and one piece casing and rubber seal on the outside. I run a bead of silicone on top only to act like a gutter above the rubber, before I offered it to the opening. I can blast with the hose no leaks at car wash. The casing has a inner frame that screws to outside casing, sandwiching the wall nice and tight. I used even torque by making use of the clutch settings on the drill so it gets tight even with no loose spots. I’m not sure the S7 if is the same, but I assume they are not far off in terms of construction. The internal screws are covered with plastic caps flush with the frame, you need to pop them of to reveal the screws.
Hope this helps.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I would be inclined to remove the window to see if the cause of the leak is obvious------ we have had a couple of issues caused by build mistakes

Nigel knows a lot about your problem Richard, when he built SPRITE caravans, he was on bonus, 😉 and was telling me one day 😲 they never put too much sealant on because it cost time cleaning it off, 😉 hence losing out on bonus. 😁
Just be careful removing the window. 👍 🙂 Bob.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi,
I’ve removed and resealed three so far on my Chausson. They’re actually quite easy to do. All three have not leaked since and haven’t fallen out yet. Just take your time getting the window out and spend a long time cleaning the old sealer off both the window frame and around the aperture. No doubt I’ll end up doing the rest over the next couple of years.

OP
OP
Scotties

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks guys, the rest of the van is bone dry but I was a little twitchy about getting the window out as on of the ‘engineers’ said you would destroy the old one getting it out.

Feel a little more confident now ...

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Nigel knows a lot about your problem Richard, when he built SPRITE caravans, he was on bonus, 😉 and was telling me one day 😲 they never put too much sealant on because it cost time cleaning it off, 😉 hence losing out on bonus. 😁
Just be careful removing the window. 👍 🙂 Bob.
I can't believe you remembered that------ it wasn't me that scrimped on the mastic it was the other window/gutter fitters--------- honest

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Once the inner frame is off they (literally so be careful) fall out. As supplied the windows have a foam 'fur' seal frame to body and some builders rely on that entirely. Refit with butyl mastic & it'll never leak again.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Don't use something like sikaflex when refitting it---- it sticks too strong and you will probably break the window if you need to remove it again------- that's my opinion 😊

Edit ----- just read previous post---- I second that suggestion

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the window should not have sealent on , it just has a rubber gasket.
If you undo the inner blind have someone hold the outside,it may fall out!
If you are going to take it out and seal around it with sealent then screw it back in place then that will stop it leaking.
You can always save the trouble and mask up around the window by a couple of mm and seal around it with Puraflex 40 from Toolstation 👍....mask 2 mm onto window and bodywork 😉seal , smooth around with a wet finger then remove masking tapes..job done 👍 Chances are it will look neater than trying to clean off any squashed sealent after refitting window😉 Ten min job instead of a hour 😁

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I feel a little concerned at the engineer saying you will break it. Have they used a stiff mastic that holds tighter than the plastic's strength? Having watched windows removed, may I suggest using a strong adhesive tape across the outside, just in case it should fall out.
Why wait for rain? Can you not spray a hose on the window to locate the problem area?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If the window has been stuck in, then a sharpe scraper slid between the window and van side all around will allow it to be easily removed.😉

OP
OP
Scotties

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, yes there was a nearby body leak which masked the second window leak, so still not 100% sure of the ingress point.

Instead of removing/reselling the window the dealer forced in mastic and top sealed with ?sikaflex,

I’ve taped up the original leak area and window to dry out the inner panel. Then I will remove one to try and isolate the source.

Hope that makes sense, again thanks for the input.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi, I’ve struggled with a leak at the side and bottom of a Seitz S7 window from new. Yes, even new Hymers leak.

After several bodge attempts by 2 dealers to correct the problem, I’ve come to the conclusion that it may be easier to take it out and refit myself.

My questions is, should I reuse the window or is it possible window construction can lend itself to leaking. The window size is not one normally stocked by UK dealers.

Many thanks to to the experience of the club collective in advance.

Regards Richard
What size window is it.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Once the inner frame is off they (literally so be careful) fall out. As supplied the windows have a foam 'fur' seal frame to body and some builders rely on that entirely. Refit with butyl mastic & it'll never leak again.
Pay heed to this, they can and do fall out. Nearly £500 later I got a replacemen😥

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back