Domestic RMD 8505 fridge door catch (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Our Burstner has a Domestic fridge freezer model RMD 8505.

The fridge door has a latch that locks when you close the door. When you want to open the door, you depress a button on the top of the door which pushes a lever which in turn presses on a latch to unlock the door. The latch swivels on its midpoint(a bit like a Suffolk latch) and there is a small spring that applies downward pressure on the latch to keep it locked until you press the button.

IMG_20180319_205817_crop_357x325.jpg

IMG_20180319_205901_crop_379x392.jpg

The small spring has become dislodged from the spigots that hold it in place and I have been trying keyhole surgery with tweezers etc to try and relocate it.
Without success!!!!!!
Anyone had this problem before?. I can't see any way of removing/dismantling the lock short of using a scalpel or craft knife to cut a hole in the side of the lock, relocate the spring and then cover the hole over?
Temporary fix of a rubber band is doing the trick for now (n)
The little plastic slider below the metal latch allows the latch to be lifted in place when MH is pitched up so it acts like a house fridge, ie. simply pull on the door to open

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
The spring in my door catch failed like yours, peel off the 'flat' sheet on the catch (lh side of your pics) it's only sticky backed plastic. remove the screws holding the catch to the door, prise apart the catch assy. I managed to find another spring & with a bit of modification made it fit. Reassemble & refit.
My repair has now lasted 2 years

Mar 18, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The spring in my door catch failed like yours, peel off the 'flat' sheet on the catch (lh side of your pics) it's only sticky backed plastic. remove the screws holding the catch to the door, prise apart the catch assy. I managed to find another spring & with a bit of modification made it fit. Reassemble & refit.
My repair has now lasted 2 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back