Domain/Email host recomendations please (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I've finally made up my mind to leave BT after yet another BTYahoo mail problem. I'm also paying a premium rate for an inferior service. I think I might try and switch ISPs each year and take advantedge of the joining discounts since nobody rewards loyalty. Rather than use Microsoft or Google, neither of whom I trust, for the majority of my emails I was thinking of registering a domain name and having my own email addresses for the fanilly, which could be directed to whichever ISP I was with at the time.

Could anyone ? @Gromett recommend a hosting service which could provide this service for a reasonable cost?

Malcolm

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Could anyone ? @Gromett recommend a hosting service which could provide this service for a reasonable cost?
Malcolm

Sorry I can't advise :(
I ran my own hosting company since 1998 and since I sold it in 2015 I have continued to run my own servers for my own websites and email. I have therefore not had the displeasure of dealing with any hosting companies for decades... The thought fills me with horror. I set my first one up because I was fed up of poor service and lack of features/security.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have idle.me.uk hosted by whichever ISP l happen to be using (Zen for at least the last 10 years). It costs around £8 a year for hosting. I did it for the reasons you suggest - l wanted to keep family email addresses the same no matter which ISP l decide to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For domain registration I use fasthosts and names.co, have not used them for email or hosting just registration and DNS. Had to use GoDaddy, 1to1 and reg123 but only once each time fortuneately.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use 123.reg for hosting and my ISP is Plus.net, when 12 or 18 month contract ends Plus net will give you a similar deal as they would to a new customer, just renewed mine, paid line retal up front £187 I think and 38mg fibre bb £6.99/month.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I've been using TSOHost for hosting the last couple of years, after swapping from 1and1.

The service has always been good, the up time is good, but I don't think it's the fastest.

It's also not the cheapest (mine is £24 per month, there are cheaper options) but it's used for business, plus my own personal sites, plus I host a couple for other people. I have my domains with the same people, plus a couple of SSL's.

ISP wise, with BT, but about to swap to just using 4G. Ridiculously, this will be cheaper. It's also faster so far (been testing) but my main reason is getting ready to go full-time in van.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Sorry I can't advise :(
I ran my own hosting company since 1998 and since I sold it in 2015 I have continued to run my own servers for my own websites and email. I have therefore not had the displeasure of dealing with any hosting companies for decades... The thought fills me with horror. I set my first one up because I was fed up of poor service and lack of features/security.

Thanks anyway Karl. My fault for not taking advantage of the deal you setup when you sold your company.

Malcolm

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks anyway Karl. My fault for not taking advantage of the deal you setup when you sold your company.

Malcolm

I set that deal up before I had even considered selling. I am now out of my non compete agreement and am occasionally considering setting up again on a very small scale. But I am not 100% convinced I want to go back to being on 24/7 callout...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have my own domain but I only use it occasionally for email. Mostly I use Gmail. I don't see it as being any less secure than a cheap ISP.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have my own domain but I only use it occasionally for email. Mostly I use Gmail. I don't see it as being any less secure than a cheap ISP.
I agree. When it comes to email gmail is about the best of the third party providers out there.

For me the advantage of having my own domain is I can create a new alias for each site.

For instance if my domain is mydomain.com I set up some default mailboxes for example.
personal1@mydomain.com
shopping2@mydomain.com
business1@mydomain.com
throwaway3@mydomain.com

I never use these email addresses. What I do is add an alias to the relevant ones. For example
to personal1@ I ad
motorhomefun@mydomain.com
gamex@mydomain.com
firstname@mydomain.com

To shopping2@ I have added
ebay@mydomain.com
amazon@mydomain.com

I create a new alias for each new site or shop I sign up to.

Then when a spam email comes in, I simply look at who it was sent TO, for instance, spam-shop@mydomain.com
I remove that alias and never shop with them again as they either have poor security or gave/sold my email away.

Doing this I have practically zero spam coming in each week. In fact I see about 2 spam a month..

I keep my mail organised into separate boxes using IMAP.

On my phone I only have the personal and business emails coming in. shopping and throwaways etc only go to my desktop and laptop.

Nicely to organise, and not possible on gmail. However if you just want a single mailbox then gmail is the way to go.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I've finally made up my mind to leave BT after yet another BTYahoo mail problem. I'm also paying a premium rate for an inferior service. I think I might try and switch ISPs each year and take advantedge of the joining discounts since nobody rewards loyalty. Rather than use Microsoft or Google, neither of whom I trust, for the majority of my emails I was thinking of registering a domain name and having my own email addresses for the fanilly, which could be directed to whichever ISP I was with at the time.

Malcolm
I registered a domain name many years ago and use it for all my emails. I have never produced a web page for it. I have always been with the same ISP (Plusnet) and they manage the domain name for me. And I get a good price for fast broadband from them.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I registered a domain name many years ago and use it for all my emails. I have never produced a web page for it. I have always been with the same ISP (Plusnet) and they manage the domain name for me. And I get a good price for fast broadband from them.
My experience with Zen. These two providers have been top of user satisfaction ratings for as long as l can remember.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back