Doing parts of Europe in 2 weeks.... (1 Viewer)

Damo7

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,we would live to do Europe nxt may/Jun just wondered if you have any tips,we will have 2 weeks so any suggestions or recommendations would be great....?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Dont try and go very far , unless you want a "driving" holiday motorways , autobahns etc , are the same (almost) everywhere .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You might get a response if you say where your crossing to, port and country or the airport your landing at. Members on here are good but not crystal ball merchants.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Damo7

Damo7

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
You might get a response if you say where your crossing to, port and country or the airport your landing at. Members on here are good but not crystal ball merchants.
Sorry bud,didnt realise you could take a motorhome on a aeroplane, Therefore thought it would be obvious that we would be arriving in northern France....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What are you looking for? There's a huge amount of history in Northern France and Belgium and if you like shellfish plenty of opportunities to buy the raw ingredients. :)

We've just come back from a trip which was meant to stay in Northern France but the weather intervened. But you might get some ideas from it.

OP
OP
Damo7

Damo7

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
What are you looking for? There's a huge amount of history in Northern France and Belgium and if you like shellfish plenty of opportunities to buy the raw ingredients. :)

We've just come back from a trip which was meant to stay in Northern France but the weather intervened. But you might get some ideas from it.

My wife would love to end up in italy but we dont wanna be to ambitious on our 1st trip abroad....?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry bud,didnt realise you could take a motorhome on a aeroplane, Therefore thought it would be obvious that we would be arriving in northern France....
Quite a few Funsters go on trips without their motorhome Chum and some post on here seeking advice on multiple aspects of their trips, accommodation, etc., etc., I fail to understand how your original post obviously concludes you will be arriving in Northern France ? However, now that we have established your arrival point and given that you only have two weeks to explore, my suggestions would be to use google and search for the activities/interests, historical sites, Museums, etc., etc., for Northern France, that you are into and then plan accordingly. Have a safe trip.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My wife would love to end up in italy but we dont wanna be to ambitious on our 1st trip abroad....?
Italy is great but the driving can be challenging if you are of a nervous disposition. :) We've done two trips to Italy. Sicily was astonishing but you need to filter out the mounds of rubbish to appreciate it fully. :)

But two weeks in Northern France will be easy to do and be good experience. There are campsites but give the village aires a go too.

I prefer to have a theme where possible so why not aim for the D Day beaches but take your time, don't do a smash and grab. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Damo7

Damo7

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Italy is great but the driving can be challenging if you are of a nervous disposition. :) We've done two trips to Italy. Sicily was astonishing but you need to filter out the mounds of rubbish to appreciate it fully. :)

But two weeks in Northern France will be easy to do and be good experience. There are campsites but give the village aires a go too.

I prefer to have a theme where possible so why not aim for the D Day beaches but take your time, don't do a smash and grab. :)
Interesting,Thanks for your time....

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,we would live to do Europe nxt may/Jun just wondered if you have any tips,we will have 2 weeks so any suggestions or recommendations would be great....?

I think for Your first time in Europe and not wanting to make it to much driving, I would head to the La Rochelle area. Then you have the islands to head for,or you could explore the Loire valley. All do able in two weeks and you will find some great places to stay and do with a little research.
DBK ’s thread is well worth a read to,full of great ideas!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’ve had two two-week holidays in Europe this year. Both a fair bit of driving.
I’d wait and see what weathers doing and then either Mosel in Germany or France ... Normandy, Brittany, Loire or Ardennes.
Non of them too much driving but all lovely.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. ?. It is exciting having the prospect of travel in a motorhome with all the freedom it brings. Before you set your sights too far at first I would recommend seeing what it is like a little nearer home. We've been motorhoming for 10 years and have spent a lot of time travelling around France but until we did so didn't realise how VAST it is. My brother lives in the South of France and getting there has taken us 5 days (bearing in mind that it's the same distance to come back). Sure, it is possible to do it more quickly but then all you would be doing is driving all day, sleeping all night, then driving again. You would miss all there is to see en route (and there is an awful lot). If you really want to get that far south you may consider a ferry to e.g. Spain. Many people do that to save time. It is expensive though. Whatever you decide welcome to our community and hope you enjoy it. ?

Wyn

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007

There are a lot of points of entry to Europe in your motorhome , I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people trying to help you to try to narrow in on your specific point of entry to be honest.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is very tempting to do too much - been there, done that, got several t-shirts - purely because at first we could only get 2 weeks away from work, but we ended up having very little 'holiday' and lots of non-scenic views of roads/motorways etc!

Stick to Normandy coast, lots of lovely places to see and plenty of history, both on the coast and slightly inland (Somme etc) without having to do lots and lots of travelling, just take it easy and enjoy the experience, leave the 'distance' travelling for when you have a longer time to make it worthwhile without being knackered.

As for Italy ... forget it! It is a long drive and as soon as you arrive at the northern edge you'll be turning round to come home!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Would recommend the Mosel in Germany, we recently did it in 9 days. Its an easy 5-6 hour drive from Calais to Trier where we started then wander up and down as you please. Every village seems to have a Stelplatz all of good quality and in the summer the wine houses will be open. Lovely scenery, easy driving and go thru Luxembourg for cheaper fuel (€1.11 for Diesel & €0.49 for gas)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Where in Northern France?

You may have been getting a plane and hiring a van or indeed getting a ferry to Spain!!!!

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Where in Northern France?

You may have been getting a plane and hiring a van or indeed getting a ferry to Spain!!!!
Or going Hull to Holland or Scotland to Ireland. Or Eurotunnel and heading north to Germany and Denmark.. just saying

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would just pick several places you want to go to factor in the time and cost of getting there and decide on one. Distance is a lot easier to cover on the peage we worked for ourselves so only managed one 2week holiday in 27 years if we stuck to the no more than 100 miles a day advice we wouldn't have got to France other than Calais!!!

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I work, so limited holidays. Went to car rally in San Marino in Oct 2018. We live 300 miles from tunnel. We left Sat, returned Sun 16 days later. We had a great time. This is where we stayed. Sat, Cité Europe, S Sarreguemines, M Lugano (site), T Modena, W Rimini, T San Marino (site, 4 nights) M Lugano (site), T Interlaken (2 nights, site), T Nancy, F Bruges, S Cité Europe, Sunday home and work on Monday. Site in San Marino was only place we'd booked. Horses for courses but I didn't find it at all difficult. Italy was good.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our very first trip abroad we tried to see too much - my fault I was a coach driver and trying to show the wife the places I used regularly. When we got back after just short of two weeks we asked ourselves what we'd seen - lots and lots of road!

Although we did have a day at Disneyland Paris which was a treat for her - I've been 35 times!!!

As above, D-Day beaches, Britanny coast or go east to Rhine/Mosel. Any further and all you're doing is driving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back