Doing a bit of Ethernet cable fiddling

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by buttons, Oct 11, 2018.

1. buttons

buttons Funster

Ratings:
    +20,031
    I got a batch of tp-link power line adapters with the idea of getting rid of some of my cable runs. Planned usages are Security cameras between router and recorder which are in different rooms, coax cable between virgin TV boxes, updating low wifi signal areas ect.
    Anyone else been using power line extenders for these purposes or anything else....Any hints or tips would be appreciated......(y)

2. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Yes, I've been using powerline adapters for years. Our house is too long to get a consistent wifi signal.
    We have one by the TV for serving the various media devices.
    Kids have one each to ensure high speed gaming on their desktops & playstations (wifi not good enough apparently :rolleyes:).
    I have one in my office (furthest point from router) which also acts as a wifi booster/hotspot.
    The most useful one is for the wired cctv system, it's well hidden and saved the effort of running cables through the house.
    I've always used TP-Link as it's just plug and play and never seems to go wrong.
    With speeds increasing so rapidly, if you need to buy more adapters, I'd buy as fast as possible (they don't cost much more).

3. buttons

buttons Funster

Ratings:
    +20,031
    Thanks kaasbroodje that is all very reassuring. (y)

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,535
    Used them for a while in the past but slowly managed to route cables to places i wanted and the wifi routers have improved.
    No issues when i had them, there are different speed specs so check that out when buying.
    You dont need to have same brand, you can mix and match.

5. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,735
    Was advised to try them when I went into Maplins (RIP) to ask about Ethernet cabling - my computer is quite a long way from the phone line entry into the house. Have been a great success, no loss of speed on high speed broadband, although I've since changed to a slower and cheaper connection having found I didn't need the high speed. Very very simple to use, they really are just plug 'n play and save having long lengths of cable. The instructions do say that they only work on one ring main but that's okay on my system.

I do have a slightly peculiar fault in that around the same time most days (5.00 p.m.) my internet connection drops out, usually for only a few seconds but occasionally I need to reset the router. This has happened on several different routers and two different phone companies, who both say it isn't anything to do with them (they would of course). Although I suspected the tp-link units, I've never been able to prove anything or find a source of regular interference.

6. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    It must be Russki hackers!

7. Tanya_and_Mick

Tanya_and_Mick Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +16,750
    They're good (we have four) but they can get warm (ours do), hot (ours don't) and there have been reports of fire's started by them....

8. buttons

buttons Funster

Ratings:
    +20,031
    Thanks for that Mick I'll have to do a bit of research before I hide them away in a confined space..(y)

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,842
    Been using TP-Link powerlink adapters for a number of years.
    5 off them connected through the house wiring (different circuits) to an ac standard wireless router that covers the home office (converted loft).
    2 of these on ground floor have n standard wifi routers attached (one also has a 10 port switch attached).
    The other 3 on first floor have 4 \ 10 port switches attached.
    Kit "attached" includes desktops \ laptops (Linux and Windows), Macbook, Playstations, Wii, x-boxes, mobiles, etc.
    All work well with only very occasional drop outs.

10. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Ratings:
    +441
    TP Link connectors have worked for us for five(?) years or more. Simple to set up and they operate very well.