Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I was brought up with dogs, border collies, on the farm where I was born so they were fro a long time time part of my life. We have had two boxers, two border collies, two beagles and a cross German shepherd/?. The beagle we now have considers everybody and all dogs as friends until they show otherwise. Dogs she will fight her corner but generally she just backs off. The biggest hassle we have is with owners who on a campsite refuse to obey campsite rules which tend to be “All dogs must be on a lead at all times”. We have one of this spikes which screw into the ground with a longish wire cable attached to which the dog is fastened giving the dog a 6/7 metre radius to walk and enjoy being inside the van or outside in the sun. This last two weeks we have been on a number of campsites, mainly because SWMBO demands swimming pools, and encountered a number of dogs with the outfits. A number have let their dogs loose on the sites which cause problems for us and others who do not appreciate dogs which I completely understand (allergies, previous bad encounters, etc). But can I appeal to dog owners who travel with their four legged friends to keep them under control by anchoring the dogs. These screw anchors really work and do not easily pull out. If the ground is such that they do pull out then you may have to be adaptable. My view is that campsites need to monitor dogs on the loose and demand that they are anchored but if you really do not wish to conform then please go somewhere else of have “fido” in kennels while you are away. Even the friendliest of dogs can have an off day and heaven help you if an unanchored dog bites a child or adult as you will have no excuse. I have seen my very friendly beagle have a go at the vet so remember they are not humans in disguise!
Well said,,pity more don't think like you.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Someone is responsible for that dog. All domestic dogs are the creation of us humans. They only exist because of us.
You cannot control a dog with rabies..BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
How long were you standing there watching the dog 'do stuff' to your leg before the trousers needed repaired?
Monza, have you ever had a dog attach itself to you, it is very difficult to remove it. I was in the house to repair a washing machine, whilst talking to the customer the dog came in, came up to me put its paws in my leg then decided to make love to it:eek:, the owner was abashed and tried to remove it as I did, it was at it for quite a while. Yet there is a follow on from that. I had to return to fit replacement part, I had a young trainee with me and had told him of the incident before we arrived. He said he hoped the dog kept away from him, but it tried to do the same thing, started paws on leg, and the customer to give her due quickly removed the dog. The poor trainee was rather shaken up to say the least.

I appreciate you all love your dogs, and say Ah he/she wont hurt you, but if your sht scared you don't care, your scared and that is it.

Dogs poo on gardens.... ah just don't... a real arse when mowing, using a smalls pad to pick it up and put it in the grass box very time.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I did not expect this amount of response.

Flook:cool:

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I dislike loose dogs ( off lead and being a pest) and I hate myself more if after letting mine off lead it goes and pesters someone else. Same applies to the anti poo picker uppers.

Reactions: f6c

Deleted User
Where ever we go we have to be aware of dogs, prefer dogs not allowed sites. Reason is the wife is scared stupid whenever a dog comes near, she shakes and in the past actually used to scream as well. We appreciate you guy's love your dogs and cannot understand those who don't. I can say from real personal experience that dogs can tear good jacket to shreads, and the owner said "oh they have never done that before." Also had a Jack Russell bite my ankle when i was told "its okay he wont bite" I have have more similar experiences with dogs, even one took a fancy to my leg, the owner thought it was very funny until I added a new pair of trousers to her repair bill.

I am now very wary of them, and do not like taking chances. Though I appreciate some will come back and say they have well behaved dogs and they wont harm anyone. MMMM, a few years back now we were in Brixham Devon, I stumbled and fell over, but a woman was walking her dog and the dog apparently brushed along the leg of another woman who let out a big howl and had a go at the dog owner, as she suffered from serious rash from any type of dog that brushed against her.

So what has your dog done to possibly surprise you or embarrass you.

Oh yes, a dog owner helped me at that time I fell over, a very kind woman.

Flook
my two dogs have surprised me numerous times, usually when humans have acted completely irrationally around them (which is enough to scare some dogs), or unruly ill-disciplined children are too rough with them (tugging their tail for example) while mum or dad are no where to be seen.

My two take it all in their stride thankfully. There's a girl where ive been living for the 18mths who was absolutely terrified of dogs, couldnt even be in the vicinity of my two on their leads. She now feeds them treats off their leads!
Irritates me that im expected to tolerate other humans unacceptable behaviour including and especially their childrens, but these same people think they have some right to approach me and complain about something because they simply do not like dogs.
I was exercising my dogs recently, off lead, along the marina front (that i pay £6500pa to moor at) when a tourist thought he'd come and aggressively tell me my dogs should be on a lead. Its a big wide walkway with no nearby road and neither of my dogs had even paid them any attention as we went by. I told him I'll put HIM on a lead
I miss the good old days, when dogs were welcome in pubs e.t.c. but children were not (often for good reason).

Tarring all dogs with the same brush because of bad experiences is irrational. Have they never had a bad experience with a human in that case or read about a human harming someone? I wonder if they scream, jump, flinch, complain when they see one of them too.

Apr 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 64
Exp
I'm the responsible owner of a very well behaved Bullmastiff. She's a registered Pets As Therapy PAT Dog and we visit hospitals, local NHS nurseries and primary schools where she listens to the children read. We have managed to alter many people's view on the breed and dogs in general. She's also worked with a dog-phobic 5year old boy. I'm glad your wife no longer screams, as that would encourage a more excitable dog to go and 'investigate' the new squeaky toy 🙄. No dog is born bad, they are turned that way by uncaring, uneducated owners who often get the wrong breed for the wrong reasons. (I've included a couple of pics of the 'savage beast'

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_065156_783.jpg
    IMG_20190517_065156_783.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 12
  • received_361468008017653.jpeg
    received_361468008017653.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190329_225615_608.jpg
    IMG_20190329_225615_608.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 11

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
That doesn't make them robots...Probably those with cruel domineering owners may become robotic though.I like dogs with a bit of character, BUSBY.
Of course it doesn't make them robots. :rofl:

A cruel domineering owner will only ever have a frightened dog, which is far more likely to attack someone.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Not under close control of a human then,,just a moment of not concentrating BUSBY.
You're not getting what I mean Busby. I've already said you don't stand over your dog 24/7 to control it. Our dog stealing the Christmas Cake wasn't an attack on a human being, which is what I thought you meant, when you made your comment about biting a postman.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You cannot control a dog with rabies..BUSBY.
No, you control the transmission of rabies by making sure the dog is vaccinated. If the dog catches rabies, who is at fault? Let me help you with the answer here. It's clearly not the dog, who is incapable of calling the vets and making an appointment for the vaccination. Right then, who could it be? Ah yes, a human being, they are pretty good with the telephone and a conversation to make an appointment. So yet again, this makes my point that human beings are responsible for dogs.

You're welcome. :giggle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
No, you control the transmission of rabies by making sure the dog is vaccinated. If the dog catches rabies, who is at fault? Let me help you with the answer here. It's clearly not the dog, who is incapable of calling the vets and making an appointment for the vaccination. Right then, who could it be? Ah yes, a human being, they are pretty good with the telephone and a conversation to make an appointment. So yet again, this makes my point that human beings are responsible for dogs.

You're welcome. :giggle:
So you were responsible for your dog eating that cake then..Bad owner . How many dogs in the UK are vaccinated against rabies? BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You're not getting what I mean Busby. I've already said you don't stand over your dog 24/7 to control it. Our dog stealing the Christmas Cake wasn't an attack on a human being, which is what I thought you meant, when you made your comment about biting a postman.

You forgot FLT’s,travellers,BMW drivers and grey water dribblers,and……… :ROFLMAO:
Only those BMW s without indicators driven by tossers annoy me and certain Funsters that like to talk down to you and not just talk to you.BUSBY.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
So you were responsible for your dog eating that cake then..Bad owner . How many dogs in the UK are vaccinated against rabies? BUSBY.
Yes of course we were responsible. Just to say, our dog wouldn't bite the postman, which was your original point. Our dog sees all humans as her potential new best friend. She's very affectionate but we've trained her not to run up to people and she never jumps up.

I can't answer your question about rabies Busby. I do know though, that rabies isn't a problem in this country.

Last edited:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
I don't hate dogs or afraid of them, but just don't see the point of pet dogs, they just cost a fortune , smell, get muck everywhere, shed hairs ruin the furniture, and what for?
Beats me.
We had never had a dog, until two years ago. We rescued a Cotton de Tuleur/Poodle that had been beaten a lot, bullied by other dogs, Snapped at everyone, had no basic commands, not even SIT, underweight and a serious life shortening heart condition. We named him Benji. He did not and does not cost a fortune, does not smell, nor leave muck everywhere. He sheds no hairs due to his breed and, after spending lots of TLC and training time he is now the most loveable dog who is adorned by everyone he meets, even those who do not like dogs. He has brought us so much joy and had always got a smile on his face.

Attachments

• IMG_20210814_123419_0.jpg
    IMG_20210814_123419_0.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 11
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Senior dogs who have come to a stage in their lives when they have limited stamina or mobility. Rather like some wheel chair or mobility scooter users.
Luckily although I have had dogs live to good old ages,,15 or 16 they have all been active until the end. You do see many young dogs in shoulder bags and pushchairs though.BUSBY.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Just my personal opinion but I have met more dogs I like that humans, at least they don't try and force their opinions onto others. If you don't like dogs keep away from them it's simple.
Dog owners often assume that everybody is going to love their dog. They shouldn’t. Give us the space don’t impose your pet preference on other people.

Deleted User
Dog owners often assume that everybody is going to love their dog. They shouldn’t. Give us the space don’t impose your pet preference on other people.
same could be said about children really (that its ok, because little Jonny is just having fun). If dogs should be on a lead all the time, then by the same measure all children should be kept on toddler reins until their 18th birthday ;)
Dogs need to run (in appropriate places) to tire themselves out and remain well balanced.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I'm expected to tolerate others, yet apparently also expected to accept when certain folk treat both myself and my dogs with utter distain when theyre doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I agree that children should be children but also understand, from their parents, to respect others.
But actually dogs are dogs and I don’t quite get how some believe they are their children? Nothing wrong with well trained dogs and responsible owners.

Deleted User
I agree that children should be children but also understand, from their parents, to respect others.
But actually dogs are dogs and I don’t quite get how some believe they are their children? Nothing wrong with well trained dogs and responsible owners.
I understand many will not like my dogs for what ever reason, that's their choice. What i wont do is be sorry or apologetic for their choice when my dogs have done nothing other than being present. Its about the only "ism" left that isnt legislated against.
Sites that charge "extra" for dogs are a typical example, provide nothing in return for them, cost them nothing, do not use the facilities e.t.c. but are apparently less welcome than children who often "go free!" or for negligible cost that do.

Dont get me wrong, im not "down" on all children, like dogs their characters are all different and cant be tarred with the same brush. I was a qualified F.A Junior Football Coach and took my first degree in order to become a teacher, what i'm trying to highlight is the vastly differing expectations of acceptability and tolerances of some people.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Interesting thread, strong opinions both ways.
I don't think it's a co-incidence we are discussing this today; dog ownership was already on the up and then since Covid it has literally exploded. We have become aware of how many people now have dogs and the obvious consequences on our lives, streets, parks and countryside.
The trouble is so much of this growth has been among families who (at best) are on a sharp learning curve of how to look after the animal and deal with it's behaviour. During the lockdowns our daily walks involved being constantly on the lookout for dogs mess to avoid, quite likely because the dog-walker was not experienced or willing to engage in the 'clear-up' etiquete. Training is another matter, how many of these new owners have the skill, time or patience to train their dog?
We would probably not be discussing this if there were not so many dogs now and those animals were well trained.

Deleted User
Interesting thread, strong opinions both ways.
I don't think it's a co-incidence we are discussing this today; dog ownership was already on the up and then since Covid it has literally exploded. We have become aware of how many people now have dogs and the obvious consequences on our lives, streets, parks and countryside.
The trouble is so much of this growth has been among families who (at best) are on a sharp learning curve of how to look after the animal and deal with it's behaviour. During the lockdowns our daily walks involved being constantly on the lookout for dogs mess to avoid, quite likely because the dog-walker was not experienced or willing to engage in the 'clear-up' etiquete. Training is another matter, how many of these new owners have the skill, time or patience to train their dog?
We would probably not be discussing this if there were not so many dogs now and those animals were well trained.
very true! (but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, same applies to kids parents too) :D
"Responsible adults" not fit to be in charge.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
Only those BMW s without indicators driven by tossers annoy me and certain Funsters that like to talk down to you and not just talk to you.BUSBY.
Why do you keep getting at BMW owners - Merc owners are probably worse!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pushing dogs around in a pram tickles me. :LOL: What's that all about?

Craig
Often it is because the dog has issues with mobility due to old age or an injury, or hidden things like a heart condition. Our Lily has had a poorly leg/shoulder ... whatever it is ... for a while however the tablets she's on seem to have relieved this for now. Just in case though we bought her a standard baby buggy however it's a bit heavy and she doesn't like being so high so not ideal, fortunately at a car boot sale we managed to buy for £3 part of a multi-type baby buggy, the type where you can remove the top car seat/carrycot etc, these bits were missing so only the frame and bottom soft shopping basket 'shelf' were there but it's ideal for our Lily to sit or lay in so she's at the same height she would be normally thus not taking her out of her 'comfort' zone, it also has proper pneumatic tyres so we can use it on grass, sand etc too. We have it in the back of the MH just in case she needs it whilst we're on holiday but so far she's okay and we hope that she doesn't actually need it.

Just to add more to your hilarity we also had a dog that had Cushings disease and a bad hip joint so used to hobble sometimes and loved being carted around in a papoose!

Midge in back-pack.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back