138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just to make it clear, I was referring to wild dogs such as the African Wild Dog, not any type of domestic dog.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It would be a poor show if we didn’t have dogs, they take on so many ‘jobs’ to help those that need it but I can see why some are frightened of them. I grew up with dogs (amongst other animals) and thought I would never be worried about a dog but one tried really hard to attack our JRT whilst In France, it ended up putting a tooth into my leg instead, owner-little old lady & myself trying to restrain a big Alsatian!
If people are afraid of dogs there is usually a good reason for it and I don’t think they can just get over it, they either stay away from dogs or get some counselling, depending on how they feel!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Tried to enjoy a few cycle trips on The Wirral Way around Thurstaton last week , totally spoiled by dogs and their owners , if it says “ keep dogs on leads “ which part of that four word instruction do they not get ?
wife and I also went for a run and she was jumped up at by a dog not on a lead , claws scratched her legs ( my wife at this point was on the verge of tears she was so frightened) , owners said “ she’s only a puppy “
My reply was “ if it jumps up again it won’t be a puppy for much longer , get it on a lead “
😡

Apr 27, 2018
Funster No
Yes dogs help humans in so many different ways and ask so little in return. There's also police dogs, army dogs, dogs that sniff out drugs and bombs, sheep dogs, search and rescue dogs and more. Assistance dogs includes those who can sense when someone is going to have a seizure or abnormal blood sugars.

Every single problem anyone has with dogs is actually a problem with people, not a dog.
Tell that to someone who caught rabies from a dog bite.....

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
When I see litter thrown from the cars if Fast Food Shoppers, rubbish discarded from people who are too bone idle to go to the local tip, the stench of urine from motorway service area parking, I think our canine companions are pretty well behaved in general. Yes there are some inconsiderate owners from dross estates who neglect to clear up after their Staffys but they are a minority. We are currently fostering a Mini Dachshund who’s owners could no longer care for him having two very young children. He is one if the best behaved canine companions we have ever seen . We expect to adopt him in due course.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hate dogs! Trouble is that dog owners cant understand why I should object to having my space invaded by their pet.

Just found this on the verge outside my house (yellow paint is my addition!)

Peter

View attachment 527681
What a clever idea ...to spray chemicals around and kill the grass in order to highlight a natural product 🤦‍♂️ surely if it bothered that much the sensible approach would have been to bag it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That may be true but my problem is that dogs force themselves on me. Not many strangers come up and leap on me or sniff in unmentionable places. I can avoid humans I don't like but not dogs. Why should I have to avoid them (and how) since they are everywhere?
Maybe if you liked dogs they would. I get strangers leaping on me and licking me in unmentionable places all the time 😁

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Knew I was sticking my neck out over this :).

1). I dont have a cat.
2) I have no problem with well behaved dogs/owners and rescue/assistance dogs.

It's the thoughtless owners that annoy me as so many assume that everyone likes dogs when some of us are genuinely scared of them and cannot stand their unhygienic habits.

Rant over!
I suppose you don’t like lorry drivers then. 😂

LynneC

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
About to buy a used
Where ever we go we have to be aware of dogs, prefer dogs not allowed sites. Reason is the wife is scared stupid whenever a dog comes near, she shakes and in the past actually used to scream as well. We appreciate you guy's love your dogs and cannot understand those who don't. I can say from real personal experience that dogs can tear good jacket to shreads, and the owner said "oh they have never done that before." Also had a Jack Russell bite my ankle when i was told "its okay he wont bite" I have have more similar experiences with dogs, even one took a fancy to my leg, the owner thought it was very funny until I added a new pair of trousers to her repair bill.

I am now very wary of them, and do not like taking chances. Though I appreciate some will come back and say they have well behaved dogs and they wont harm anyone. MMMM, a few years back now we were in Brixham Devon, I stumbled and fell over, but a woman was walking her dog and the dog apparently brushed along the leg of another woman who let out a big howl and had a go at the dog owner, as she suffered from serious rash from any type of dog that brushed against her.

So what has your dog done to possibly surprise you or embarrass you.

Oh yes, a dog owner helped me at that time I fell over, a very kind woman.

Flook
My sympathy to your wife and to you. I can see why you are wary. I too have been frightened by dogs on the loose and allowed to roam around. Very bad owners and disrespectful of other people's space. I find that non dog owners can be the same.
We love our dog and respect the rules. I am against banning all dogs since he is the very reason we bought our moho x

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Tell that to someone who caught rabies from a dog bite.....
Someone is responsible for that dog. All domestic dogs are the creation of us humans. They only exist because of us.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
A dog should be trained properly in the first place. Having control doesn’t mean standing over the dog 24/7, it means being responsible for it. If a dog might attack someone ie the postman, then clearly the dog is out of control. It is always the owner’s fault, always.
Think your forgetting something,,dogs are live animals NOT robots.BUSBY.

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
It's the owners who are at fault, not the dogs. We have two dogs who have their share of bad/annoying habits but on more than one occasion I have found myself shouting "will you please get your dog under control/on a lead" at other dog owners. One irresponsible dog owner gives all of us a bad name.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Think your forgetting something,,dogs are live animals NOT robots.BUSBY.
You’re forgetting that domestic dogs only exist because of human beings. We created them and we are absolutely responsible for them.

May 7, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne
Exp
newbie, years of tent camping
We have 2 dogs, springer spaniels, well behaved and always pick up after them. They have helped me so much through the loss of my son, who died suddenly, he took his own life and no one knew he was so troubled. A year later I was diagnosed with breast cancer, without my dogs to keep me going, I might not be here. The problem is the owners, I hate it when a strange dog runs up to them on or off the lead, one of them will let them know they are not welcome, as the other has been very ill and is a little nervous, so she is protecting her pal, yet if she snaps at the dog, its my fault, please don’t let your dog run up to other dogs it’s not fair on them or the owners. We also have to respect that not everyone loves our dogs as much as us.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
A cat-loving lady friend (she had six) told me that dogs have family and cats have staff.
You can tell she was a cat lover and knew nothing much about dogs, then. Mum's two definitely have 'staff'! They're not subtle with their demands, either! They're a pair of rescue dogs, and although I'm definitely NOT a 'dog person' in general, I'm a bit soft with these two.
Dogs_in_Van.jpg
Rosie and Ted.jpg
IMG_20210520_180210-Salisbury-cAnneRogers.jpg

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Our dog ate half of the Christmas cake that my daughter-in-law had lovingly made, fed with brandy and iced beautifully. This was years ago, I still feel mortified.
You're lucky it wasn't seriously ill. Raisins, currants and sultanas are severely toxic to dogs, causing liver failure and even death. Some dogs die after eating just a few. Others eat lots and have no ill effects, but there's no way to know what reaction your dog could have. Any dog eating any form of dried grape needs to see a vet immediately.

A friend came home to discover a bag of raisins on the floor and four guilty faces. A very expensive trip to the vet ensued for all four, and the joy of having four dogs given meds and throwing up wasn't a great end to his day.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You’re forgetting that domestic dogs only exist because of human beings. We created them and we are absolutely responsible for them.
That doesn't make them robots...Probably those with cruel domineering owners may become robotic though.I like dogs with a bit of character, BUSBY.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
As quite a few funsters know I’m a nervous Nellie around dogs but I used to be like your wife. I’ve worked really hard on it over the years and was determined that my children wouldn’t be like me. I’m really up front about it and hate being like it. It’s instinctive regardless of the size of the dog , heart racing, sweating palms, feeling sick.

The really nice funster dog owners who we’ve got to know have let me get to know their dogs at my own pace and I can now happily sit in a group with them now. Some I will even pet. The fear is still there though if there’s an unknown dog on the loose or if a new dog starts jumping up.

I used to dread going for country walks because of my fear. I’m grateful to them to be honest for their consideration. Most are like that, like all things it’s a minority who spoil it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Our dog ate half of the Christmas cake that my daughter-in-law had lovingly made, fed with brandy and iced beautifully. This was years ago, I still feel mortified.
Not under close control of a human then,,just a moment of not concentrating BUSBY.

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
What a clever idea ...to spray chemicals around and kill the grass in order to highlight a natural product 🤦‍♂️ surely if it bothered that much the sensible approach would have been to bag it.
I will clear it up - but not until people have had a chance to see it.

Re the chemicals - this is non toxic marker paint which will disappear in a few days without harming anything.

This is an official campaign, sponsored by our parish council.

A final question for everyone - Hands up anyone who thinks it is OK to let your dog crap in the street where children play, and not clear it up. (answers please without irrelevant references to cats!)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I was brought up with dogs, border collies, on the farm where I was born so they were fro a long time time part of my life. We have had two boxers, two border collies, two beagles and a cross German shepherd/?. The beagle we now have considers everybody and all dogs as friends until they show otherwise. Dogs she will fight her corner but generally she just backs off. The biggest hassle we have is with owners who on a campsite refuse to obey campsite rules which tend to be “All dogs must be on a lead at all times”. We have one of this spikes which screw into the ground with a longish wire cable attached to which the dog is fastened giving the dog a 6/7 metre radius to walk and enjoy being inside the van or outside in the sun. This last two weeks we have been on a number of campsites, mainly because SWMBO demands swimming pools, and encountered a number of dogs with the outfits. A number have let their dogs loose on the sites which cause problems for us and others who do not appreciate dogs which I completely understand (allergies, previous bad encounters, etc). But can I appeal to dog owners who travel with their four legged friends to keep them under control by anchoring the dogs. These screw anchors really work and do not easily pull out. If the ground is such that they do pull out then you may have to be adaptable. My view is that campsites need to monitor dogs on the loose and demand that they are anchored but if you really do not wish to conform then please go somewhere else of have “fido” in kennels while you are away. Even the friendliest of dogs can have an off day and heaven help you if an unanchored dog bites a child or adult as you will have no excuse. I have seen my very friendly beagle have a go at the vet so remember they are not humans in disguise!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back