Dogs (1 Viewer)

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Dog's have a sixth sense (like many other animals) & often know when someone is dubious! Mine recently snarled at a delivery driver at door who was (lost!) , turned out he was casing the road looking for a target to burgle, was caught on camera next day & subsequently arrested. He normally rolls over to have his tummy rubbed.
That's very true, in fact the best thing you can do to be ignored by a dog is simply not look at it. People who are nervous and stare at dogs really worry the dog and draw attention to themselves.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Four pages of comments on dogs and nobody has yet mentioned one of the real reasons lots of folks have them..... "Child substitutes"
Well some of us don't have children, not for lack of trying, but I wouldn't call our dogs "child substitutes", they are our dogs and proper members of our family ... but kids ... nah, our dogs are much better behaved that many of the kids we've seen over the years!

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
The more people I meet, the more I love my dog. I’ve stolen that from a coffee mug I think? A lot of truth in that statement.

If those people who are frightened stop reacting to them and just ignored them, the dog would ignore them. Which is what both parties want and need.

There are some very poor dog owners though. They don’t train them. They assume their dog wants to say hello to your dog. They don’t. They assume I want to say hello to their dog. Often I don’t, because I can spot one of these owners easily. They have them on long leads that puts the dog in charge, so not under proper control. Don’t always pick up their poo. Let them off the lead without the dog achieving any recall training. Etc.

So the op’s, and his wife’s fear is now real due to an initial event and then their growing paranoia. It could so easily be anyone. Dog owners, not dogs, are the cause.

We lost Peppa nearly a year ago. She was not a perfect dog, rescue’s rarely are. But we miss her still. We are resisting getting another so far. If we do get yet another, it will soon be as well behaved to humans as the last two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cat owners never clear up. I gave up growing salad stuff due to their filth in my seed beds and lettuce, radish, spring onions, also beetroot, parsnips.............
In total agreement with you I eventually had to re landscape my whole garden by building raised narrow flower beds and stop growing fresh veg altogether because of cats,

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Not quite sure why some here have compared dogs with children? They are really quite different. This subject heading was Dogs.

Ours eat stuff off the floor, make a mess every where, are noisy and generally lay on the sofa all day.

Our woofers on the other hand are pretty well behaved:p

Backs up what Minxy said really, couldn't agree more

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have a niece who has behaviour problems, but since the family has adopted a dog her behaviour has changed for the bettervbeyond all recognition. She is thoughtful and caring and calm.
The medical professionals have put it down to her relationship with the dog.

I also know of several people who live on their own and their dog is a very important companion.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have a niece who has behaviour problems, but since the family has adopted a dog her behaviour has changed for the bettervbeyond all recognition. She is thoughtful and caring and calm.
The medical professionals have put it down to her relationship with the dog.

I also know of several people who live on their own and their dog is a very important companion.
I have heard about that Phil, dogs can be calming to autistic children and OAP's who live on their own.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Let me make this clear; I don’t hate dogs, in fact, I don’t HATE anything. What’s the point? But there are some things that I find odd (like dog owners talking baby talk to their dog; whoever heard a dog talk back?? And some things I find truly annoying like dog owners who hang poi bags in a convenient bush or tree. What’s that all about? Are they planning to collect it on the way home?

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
So do we ban guide dogs, bomb disposal dogs, sniffer dogs, rescue mountain dogs, petting dogs, comfort dogs that help in care homes, dogs the share they're life with your ageing parents when ones dies and you can't be bothered to visit! Some people talk rubbish, not the dogs that have problems, just few who just can't be bothered with responsibilities in they're life, Im more concerned with how one people treats each other, get a life and find a real problem!

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
So do we ban guide dogs, bomb disposal dogs, sniffer dogs, rescue mountain dogs, petting dogs, comfort dogs that help in care homes, dogs the share they're life with your ageing parents when ones dies and you can't be bothered to visit! Some people talk rubbish, not the dogs that have problems, just few who just can't be bothered with responsibilities in they're life, Im more concerned with how one people treats each other, get a life and find a real problem!
I don't think anyone is suggesting dogs are banned.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
All this hatred of dogs, comparing them to the human race, think i know which is more sociable and better for the planet.

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
There's lots of things in life I don't like. But thats life..........

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My daughter-in-law is terrified of dogs and I think they sense her fear - which tends to set them off.

I love dogs and we always had them at home when I was growing up.

I no longer have a dog but dogs do appear to know I am a "dog person" so I've only had one bad experience when I was warned off with a lot of growling (I took note and left the dog alone).

Any animal can have a bad day ..... and despite being told there are no bad dogs just bad owners I have to disagree as I think all species have sociopaths in their ranks.

Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
New to it
On a site in Herefordshire, most have a dog. From my observations it appears that the dogs enslave their owners. From the daily "doggy trudge" back and fore to the dog walk. Sitting for hours with the dog tied up fretting at the lack of activity.
And the difficulty of just getting up and doing anything spontaneously. Only two pubs in this town allow dogs in, which is great when you know which ones to avoid.
Cant help thinking that there is some personality disorder present when you have to rely on a subservient animal which relies on its owner for its existence, and has developed mechanisms to make the owner continue with this process. Baffles me.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
On a site in Herefordshire, most have a dog. From my observations it appears that the dogs enslave their owners. From the daily "doggy trudge" back and fore to the dog walk. Sitting for hours with the dog tied up fretting at the lack of activity.
And the difficulty of just getting up and doing anything spontaneously. Only two pubs in this town allow dogs in, which is great when you know which ones to avoid.
Cant help thinking that there is some personality disorder present when you have to rely on a subservient animal which relies on its owner for its existence, and has developed mechanisms to make the owner continue with this process. Baffles me.
This 'disorder' comes from the affection returned by the animal when it is well treated, unlike some humans...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If you don't get it you don't get it 🤷‍♂️.

Personally I get a lot of peace and comfort from our dog allowing me to share his life.
But each to our own.

I also know a few children in particular who's personality problems have been helped significantly from having a dog as a family member.

But as i said in my first sentence... If you don't get it you don't get it. But that's OK.

But please don't accuse people of a personality disorder just because they have a dog and you can't understand.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
How to win friends and influence people!

Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
just got a flash back to Rikki Fulton doing his Reverend I M Jolly sketch

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you don't get it you don't get it 🤷‍♂️.

Personally I get a lot of peace and comfort from our dog allowing me to share his life.
But each to our own.

I also know a few children in particular who's personality problems have been helped significantly from having a dog as a family member.

But as i said in my first sentence... If you don't get it you don't get it. But that's OK.

But please don't accuse people of a personality disorder just because they have a dog and you can't understand.
My three fully appreciate my personality disorder. 😁

Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Magic Poo Bags
Can anyone tell me where to buy the magic disappearing bags ?
we have a large garden with a small public footpath running through it leading down to a footpath by a river. I see lots of dog owners walking their dogs carrying a full poo bag , they walk through my garden then go down by the river. When they return most don’t have the poo bags anymore ,they must make them magically disappear as there are no waste bins by the river !!

Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I just noticed I have a Canadian flag by by name today. , very clever I live in the UK , over in Canada visiting my granddaughter

Deleted User
Not quite sure why some here have compared dogs with children? They are really quite different. This subject heading was Dogs.
because its about intolerance of other peoples dogs?

Deleted User
daft statement. Period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back