Dogs! (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
I'm traumatised as the wife wants to leave the dogs in kennels. What do most of you do..kennels or with you? Were going France.

OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Good point...did not think of that....food for thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’ve booked Yogi into ‘kennels’. Kind of. He won’t actually be kennelled as boarding dogs are kept in the house and it’s just a couple of fields away on his walking route so he should be ok.
Too hot in the summer for him plus to be honest we want to get out cycling and exploring :oops:

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
I'm traumatised as the wife wants to leave the dogs in kennels. What do most of you do..kennels or with you? Were going France.

The dog has always come with us abroad and always will.

What if there's a problem with the dogs while you're in France - cut your holiday or carry on while worrying about them ?

Cost of kennels will far outweigh anything it costs taking them with you and even any Pet Passport outlays.

Is she just winding you up by any chance ?

:france::france::france::france:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Have done both. Dogs went into kennels as puppies but have also toured Europe. We have found benefits from both taking them and leaving them behind. If over a week worked out cheaper to take them based on kennel costs v travel and vets. Always used the tunnel with them and never went too far south as they didn't like the heat. They are now 11 and not keen to travel. Need a ramp to get in and out of the van. We now pay a family member to stay in our home with the dogs. I know a good kennel in Swansea/Neath area if that is any good.

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
We always take our dog with us , but always wears a cooling jacket which works very well for her if the weather gets too hot. Also after walks we have a cooling mat which she likes for a short time and then she goes back on to her bed.

OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Have done both. Dogs went into kennels as puppies but have also toured Europe. We have found benefits from both taking them and leaving them behind. If over a week worked out cheaper to take them based on kennel costs v travel and vets. Always used the tunnel with them and never went too far south as they didn't like the heat. They are now 11 and not keen to travel. Need a ramp to get in and out of the van. We now pay a family member to stay in our home with the dogs. I know a good kennel in Swansea/Neath area if that is any good.
Were North but thanks. Really hard choice. They have never been in Kennels, sleep next to me every night. lol not sure I would go without...maybe I answered my own question.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Were North but thanks. Really hard choice. They have never been in Kennels, sleep next to me every night. lol not sure I would go without...maybe I answered my own question.
From the dogs' point of view, if they have never ever been in kennels, I wouldn't do it as it will be totally alien to them. If they'd been introduced to it from a young age it would be another matter but I get the impression they're not 'toddlers'. They may end up traumatised from being away from you for so long so think carefully about it. Our dogs would be horrified if we left them at home and went away without them ... we only have to go out shopping and when we return they're all over us like a rash so goodness knows how they'd cope if we left them even for one night!

Apart form anything else when you go away you'll be constantly 'looking' for them, thinking that they'd have enjoyed this and that ... so not sure you'd enjoy yourselves anyway.

We had one dog who had a stroke whilst in kennels which they didn't notice so if we hadn't had to come back the following day due to a camper problem we know we'd have ended up with a dead dog.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Would never leave the dog in kennels, she wouldn’t understand why we had abandoned her. Seriously considering leaving one of the cats in kennels next time, though, he really doesn’t like the travelling.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would never leave the dog in kennels, she wouldn’t understand why we had abandoned her. Seriously considering leaving one of the cats in kennels next time, though, he really doesn’t like the travelling.
... a cat would probably enjoy the 'break' from his humans occasionally ... :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The other thing to think about is that pet dogs are 'house dogs' but when they go into kennels they don't have all the comforts of being inside a home so they get a double shock to the system.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It depends on the dog(s). We've had bad experiences with kennels & would never do it again. But that may have been the kennels we chose. I'd try the dog(s) for a couple of days in advance of your holiday to test them and the kennels. That way you'll be able to relax if you choose to leave them or you will decide to take them with you.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My Staffy has always travelled with us. Loves the travelling and can't wait to check out the area when we stop. Will go from Thetford meet next week straight to Cornwall. Loves the beach.
He goes to France for 3 months and loves the company. Walks on beach in the morning, then under MH with several short walks until the main evening walk.
We couldn't bear to leave him in kennels and he would not be happy for 3 months not-withstanding the cost :eek:
He knows when we are on the ferry, curls up in his bed and has a sleep.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We bord our dog with my son never have taken a dog when going out of the country except Ireland
Bill

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Some years ago I did house sitting for people who went away and left their dogs behind - costly for the owners but at least their dogs were in an environment they knew, were well looked after and exercised, house was occupied most of the time and any problems sorted out.

Not cheap as chips - but one solution

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We've never used kennels for Charlie. We're lucky, local to us is Sussex Pet Sitters/Sussex County Dog training and for several years now he has stayed with Anna in her own home with her family and other dogs. It's a great service and gives us peace of mind and reassurance.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our dogs travel with us, but have been in kennels a few times as swmbo like cruises. I hate putting them in kennels I don't know what the dogs think, but they seem to prefer to be with us.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I’ve heard that cryogenic freezing has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of weeks!

May be a tad expensive, but when they thaw out, they will never know you’ve been gone!!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We are off to France in ten days for a Month and will be taking our long haired GSD

We also love getting out and out on our bikes and have a doggy trailer for him.

We just ensure that our Summer travelling is beach, lake or river orientatied so there is lots of opportunity for Swimming

And Air Conditioning for the times we need to leave him for a couple of hours or so occasionally

Or he sits and pines in a dog pound, learning bad habits and picking up infections for a Month

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Take the dogs with you.
They don’t like being separated from their family, they don’t like the change of routine and there’s no reason to not take them with you unless of course you’re going now and they haven’t got passports!
No way would I leave ours in Kennels.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We've never used kennels for Charlie. We're lucky, local to us is Sussex Pet Sitters/Sussex County Dog training and for several years now he has stayed with Anna in her own home with her family and other dogs. It's a great service and gives us peace of mind and reassurance.
We've been lucky enough to find a lovely dog walker locally who also boards smaller dogs.
Our dog loves his MH hols but we need to board him when we visit our daughter in the USA for instance.
It's an ideal arrangement and a home from home for him.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Dogs are part of the family, would you leave your wife behind?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
20190515_172945[1].jpg

Just upgraded Shadow's (our GSD) Trailer as he is eight now and spends about 50/50 running along with us and laying down in the trailer. Spent the afternoon along the canal yesterday did about five miles each way (to the pub for lunch and back ;) ) as a trial run for France in a couple of weeks. To be honest we bought our first motorhome years ago to have great family holidays when out kids were very young, and now we have dogs, having the van is the reason to take them, not leave them at home.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Our dog is the reason we bought a motorhome!

We can't bear to leave him. He thoroughly enjoys his trips and we thoroughly enjoy having him with us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back