Dogs on motorcycles / scooters (1 Viewer)

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
On another thread I mentioned that I carry my dog on my scooter and was asked how.
Firstly a little history. The dog was carried on a motorcycle from a puppy and was used to it. In fact, he positively loved it. If he showed any reluctance than I would not have taken him.
Having started taking a scooter away with us, Barney wanted to come too. I purchased a collapsible flight crate, mounted thick plywood underneath as the rack was sloped, screwed wedges to the plywood to create a straight and level base for the rack. It worked fine on the 125, but the scooter was very slow going up mountain passes.
I then purchased a Yamaha X Max and had a Givi rack fitted. The rack already had a level surface, the wedges were then removed and the same box was utilised, but this time it was bolted to the rack rather using ratchet straps.
I am sure another member carries their dog, how do you carry yours?

Attachments

• 20170929_151537 - Copy (2).jpg
    20170929_151537 - Copy (2).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG-20180413-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180413-WA0000.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 172

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Bump.

I need to know!!!

In detail please , have a small cocker spaniel that loves to travel with us. Sadly with an tandem axle MH that can be difficult at times.
We have Honda pcs in the MH garage but can only do short times trips if we have to leave Toffee (cocker) in the van. Also have to make sure hook up available to power aircon so she's not cooked.

Any ideas etc, with construction/installation detail very welcome.

Last year in France saw a French guy with a similar sized dog simply sit the dog (was a step through model) on the scooter step and attach the lead to the handlebars and ride off.

Help, must be a few our there with a similar problem???????

OP
OP
V

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Ok, here goes. Firstly find your crate that you are happy with that just fits your dog, Toffee. I went for an air flight one as the door is more secure when closed. Pets at Home have some, but I went for https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=5847&pf_id=65118
For an adult dog the larger of two would be best.
I then got a piece of 9mm ply and cut out the rough shape of the base of the crate, then cut it so the ply fitted the base with cut outs for any mouldings on the crate. This can be left as it is or stained to make it waterproof.
On the 125, a Honda FES125, the rack was cast alloy so I screwed some wood underneath the ply that went around the rack so it always went on centre. The ply was then bolted to the crate using small bolts and very large repair washers. The combined crate and ply were then secured to the rack by two ratchet straps.
With the Yamaha Xmax 300, I reused the crate and ply, but as the Givi rack was straight, simply used the same bolts to secure the crate drilling the ply matching and using the mounting holes in the actual rack.
Alas, my biking buddy passed on last year, non motorcycling related, and I have now purchased the smaller of the boxes for our new pup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We use to take Tui, who is a small dog, in a dog bag we got from the states. Mrs.Gasman would hold the bag on the seat between us. That was on a Harley with enough room, but will only work with a small dog.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just take the lid off the back box and it can sit in there, maybe with a cushion :ROFLMAO:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
There is/was a guy who turned up at whitby, parked up and opened his solid top box, out jumped a scruffy little dog, it matched bike and owner, top box had air holes drilled in.
The excitement of the dog when he was waiting to go back in had to be seen to be believed.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Most here in Spain have the dog on the footplate between the riders feet, wife on the back holding two kids and a box of chickens on the rear rack :eek:

Or get your wife to hold it in her lap, or get a top box and cut a hole in the top for its head. (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We’ve seen a scooter in France that had plywood panels fitted either side of foot plate and dog just sat in the space.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I followed a guy on a m/bike with a rucksac on his back and the head of his Terrier size dog poking out. The dog seemed to love it. There's a common saying that only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

A pal's 14 yr old dog has been riding on the tank off-road since it was a puppy. As soon as anyone....anyone.... starts their bike she jumps up onto the tank, much to their surprise.
2018-07-28 Ringmer rain July 2018 006.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We've seen the 1 with the glass dome today near Alicante, talking to the owner, it's a large top box with small metal vents all the way round & a perspex flanged dome on the top, all bits bought from eBay £25 for box, £28 dome & a few £s for the vents, dome size is 300 mm. His is mounted on the front of his vespa scooter

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We've seen the 1 with the glass dome today near Alicante, talking to the owner, it's a large top box with small metal vents all the way round & a perspex flanged dome on the top, all bits bought from eBay £25 for box, £28 dome & a few £s for the vents, dome size is 300 mm. His is mounted on the front of his vespa scooter
Thats the one. :) A couple in a Laika

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My hubby used to take his dog Sally on the back of his motorbike when he was single, he used a strong cardboard box which he then made stiffer with lots of tape, the dog sat in that on a cushion and his Mum used an old kagool to make a cover for it which fastened underneath to keep the dog in and protect her from the weather, with the hood going over the dog's head ... she loved it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I plan to buy another motorbike when back in uk next year , im sure jade and milo would love to join me on it as jade loves the push bike lol.

Now I need to devise a way to carry two.

That jrt in the side pannier is great as is the one with the dome

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
How about this then, introducing "Dougal" The Biker Dog:D

Enjoy
Les

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The ONLY thing to bear in mind is when taking your dog on your motorbike/scooter is protection ... what would happen if you came off ... would the dog have any protection in that situation? o_O The rigid carrier or box with doomed top would give quite a bit of protection, baskets or boxes where the dog sticks its head out could end up with a decapitated dog! :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back