dogs in vans (1 Viewer)

bazil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2010
Funster No
Sorry if this has been asked before but do people leave thier dogs in the van much,I am looking at getting a van but am worried about how hot it will get inside.

Bazil

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bazil it all depends on the van :winky: I leave our dog in the van but it is a lot cooler inside ours than outside :thumb: lots of insulation on ours :thumb: Other vans I have had have been ok but one was full of windows and would have fried the dog :Eeek:You can always pull the blinds or shut curtains to shut the sun out and cool it down
terry

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We do but not often or for too long. Our Winne heats up quite quick if the suns about, A class, big windows so if there is any chance of sun/heat she doesn't get left, ie we modify any plans that didn't involve her to include, that said I prefer to have her with us what ever but there are always the odd occations you can't take a dog with you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We always carry our two dogs, a well insulated van is much cooler than outside, close blinds and it gets even cooler than having all the windows open. a lot of motorhomers carry dogs, just make sure they have plenty to drink etc.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another aspect. I've noticed that many Caravan Club sites have signs saying that dogs must not be left alone in vans. Don't know what sanction might be imposed.

Graham

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have to agree we leave our dogs, vans can be cooler than outside its just a case of use common sense.

Recently visited Duxford for the day, they have a spot at the far end of car park by coach park that you can leave dogs in cars and vans it is in the shade set up by a large hanger and keeps quite cool, someone with a bit of forethought, you can also return to see how they and get back in again, very helpful.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
Well like others have said, a well insulated and ventilated van is cooler inside than outside on a hot day. Even so, the only time I regularly leave my dog alone in the bus is for about 15 minutes every 9 days when I go round the supermarket. I have on very rare occasions left her for short periods while I went to see a doctor and once while I attended the funeral of a good friend. Other than that, I take her everywhere I go, and if somewhere doesn't allow dogs then I don't go there unless it is absolutely essential. It's not that I think it would do her any harm, I just don't think it's fair to leave her all her tod unless it is unavoidable.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I leave my dogs in the van for up to a couple of hours at a time with no problems.

If it's hot I put the silver screens on, pull down the blinds, and open the vents. Make sure there is plenty of water available, obviously. As the others have said, it's usually cooler in the van than outside.

I almost always stay on Caravan Club sites and no-one has ever told me off - probably because the dogs are so quiet, the warders don't realise they are in there.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
no
some dog owners leave their dogs in tiny cages outside the van and piss off for the day leaving them outside.
my missus was disguted as were all the other campers on the site.
their answer was to cover the cage over so nobody could see.

shame on some dog owners

bambi 2

Free Member
Jun 7, 2009
france, (Aveyron)
Funster No
MH
A class.
Exp
26 years
The reason site owners do not want dogs left alone in caravans or motorhomes is that the dog usually starts howling when the owner leaves it alone, then other campers complain to the site owners and the site owner has to give the dog owner a warning, :Angry: bambi 2 (ex site owner)

traffic

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Funster No
:Sad:If you happen,on your trips abroad, to stop off in Gib to take advantage of cheap diesel etc ,dont leave pets in van,it is an offence at any time of year hot or cold,the police will fine you.

rangie

Free Member
Mar 5, 2010
London
Funster No
we have 8 dogs and there in our 5er most weekends. granted we are coming backwards and forwards so we can keep an eye on them, but it is normally cooler in there than outside. you do need to use some common sense we tend to leave the blinds down we also can leave the door open as i have modified the fly screen, no flies in no dogs out:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why leave the dog in a van .let them loose .they can always feed on the children . they make more mess than the dog. ha ha .

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I leave my dogs in the van for up to a couple of hours at a time with no problems.

If it's hot I put the silver screens on, pull down the blinds, and open the vents. Make sure there is plenty of water available, obviously. As the others have said, it's usually cooler in the van than outside.

I almost always stay on Caravan Club sites and no-one has ever told me off - probably because the dogs are so quiet, the warders don't realise they are in there.

Snap our MH is fully winterized.
Once the silver screen is on and the blinds are down its so much cooler inside than outside in the summer.
We leave the dogs now and again for as long as we need to .
If we are going out with the bikes , we have the dog trailer .
If we are walking , they come.
But if we were going somewhere such as a pub for a meal , they could be in the MH for several hours.
They get left for several at home sometimes , although i dont work , i dont take them absolutely everywhere with me , much as we love them , they are dogs after all.
Not human.
Pets .
They have free roam of the MH if we leave them. They dont bark . Unless someone tries the door. Then they stop , after a minute or so. They dont chew the furniture and we've never had any accidents, touch wood.:thumb:
I would never leave them in the car if it was a hot sunny day.
Though i have left them , many a time, in their cage in the car when it isnt a warm day. Usually when doing a shop at Asda . But only when they've had a good run round Pugneys water park , or Newmillerdam . They are usually fast asleep when i get back with the shopping.

As for dogs barking , i find it really annoying when somebodies "baby" is yap yapping when is owners just sit by letting it , when it isn't left alone in the MH .
Or when they start yapping as you walk by with your dogs , and arnt stopped from doing so.
Then continue yapping until you are out of sight. Only to start again when you go back.
Bev::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back