Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just met an old motorhoming friend in the local chemists and she asked if we knew how easy it was to go to Morocco with a dog on board or more importantly how easy is it to get back-------have any of you any first hand experience please

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Hi.

Click on search just below the Motorhome Fun title.

Enter Morocco/dogs, there is a wealth of info for you.

Cydersyd.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry I have no personal experience, and I'm not going to search, but I would question the logic of anyone taking a dog to a country known to be a 'hot bed' of rabies..

Morocco is an 'unlisted' country in the Gov. 'Taking your pet abroad' web site., it is not a participant in the Pet Passport Scheme.. There are special conditions which should be read and understood before taking your pet to Morocco.
Don't listen to hearsay.. or "it's easy .. they don't check''

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

'Smuggling' dogs back into Spain from Morocco is not only illegal but foolhardy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Alan, we took our dog this year for 12 weeks. There was no problem getting back into Spain, in fact the Spanish Police were more interested in stopping Morrocan vehicles.

Two weeks late we saw a Vet in France and he checked the dog over and administered the worming tablet. Three days later we checked in at the Tunnel Pet Bungalow to have the passport checked and the dog scanned and we were back in England before we knew it.

No issues at all :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
... There was no problem getting back into Spain,....

can you expand on that Alan ?

.. did they know you had a dog and if so, did they check paperwork. ?

or just flag you through without asking ?

There are so many conflicting stories it would be nice to know exactly what is checked at the border.. or not, as the case may be..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
usually in the last ten years spanish customs have wanted to see a titra result from a blood test. the dog had to have one for the pets passport in the begining . uk have done away with that now . but spanish usually want to see it if coming in from morocco. then it was the case that the dog should stay in spain or another 6 months before being back in uk .

i used to leave my dog with a friend in spain while i was in morocco...

nod ,nod ,wink ,wink,.

stop asking difficult questions . ssshhh.
the dogs passport isnt stamped etc . in or out of morocco.
then i took the dog to a vet either in france or spain before catching the ferry.
allowing for the time scales allowed .
there was trouble several years ago when several holiday makers from other eu countries were it looked like going to have trouble getting back into spain with their dogs as they hadnt got the blood test results . not required in eu countries . but spain gave way and let the dogs in if you let a vet examine the dog and give a clearance paper for it . health sanitation or something .

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry forgot to mention Alan, that we always carry the original Rabies Blood Test Certificate with us for such an eventuality as that posed by non participating countries such as Maroc.

Last edited:

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
To give a definitive response to "what is checked at the border" is impossible.

It depends upon the interest of the officers doing the checks, whether they are overworked, underpaid, have no interest in what they are doing, etc, etc.

When we checked out of Morocco they were only concerned with seeing (by using a giant x ray machine) if any living thing was present in our motorhome while we together with the dog stood on a ramp in the rain about 20 metres away.

With regard to the blood test request by Spanish Police, if it happens show the original document that your vet will still have when the passport was approved.

However like others I have a friend in Spain who is kind enough to look after my dog too, and he knows her details should he be questioned.

Cydersyd.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the newer pets passports dont need the blood test . but if i got another dog i would insist the vet sent blood off and i got a copy . you never know when you might need it .
unfortunately blackie my dog had to be put down in sept of last year she would have been 15yr old in november . she visited morocco before the pets passport scheme was introduced . think she missed two years of not going .in her life .

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Sorry about Blackie vwalan it must have been terrible to lose such a good friend after 15 years. My dog is yet only 8 and she travels everywhere with me. I dread the thought of not having her at my feet.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes . she got that she couldnt jump in the trailer etc . but in the end fell out the back door steps of the house and messed herself a couple of times . it was time really . would have been cruel to have kept her alive . she had a rabies jab a few weeks before and the local vet thought she had a growth inside as well . but i tried to keep her going . she was too old to operate on .
we left uk in the december before the passport scheme stated . she had return papers issued by the ag and fisheries . have to thank mr blair for that he organized it . she was ready in the sept . but they couldnt make their minds up so i contacted him and he arranged papers knowing she would be back after the start .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Extract from: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Travelling into the EU from an unlisted country

An ‘unlisted’ country is any country not included in the list of EU and non-EU countries.

When travelling to or returning to the UK from an unlisted country, your pet needs:

• a microchip
  • a rabies vaccination (make sure your pet is microchipped first or the vaccination won’t count)
  • a blood test - the vet must take the blood sample at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination (the date of vaccination counts as day 0, not day 1)
  • an official third country veterinary certificate
  • tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)

You must also use an authorised carrier and an approved route.

You must wait 3 calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken before travelling. The vet must give you a copy of the test results. These must show that the vaccination was successful.

You don’t have to wait 3 months if your pet was vaccinated, blood tested and given a pet passport in the EU before travelling to an unlisted country.

The 'key' point appears to be the blood test - since the new rules came in the Pet Passport scheme no longer requires a blood test so it would appear that if you have a pet who has been 'pass ported' but NOT had a blood test done voluntarily you could face NOT being able to bring your pet (dog/cat/ferret) back into the EU from Morocco (or any non-EU country). So, my 'advice' for what it's worth, is that if you definitely want to take your dog/cat/ferret to Morocco get a blood test done well before hand to ensure the paperwork is in order just in case you need to show it - the price will be a lot less than having to pay for quarantine or try to sort it out in Morocco!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back