Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'm planning a trip to France next year and will be taking my dog with me.What I need to know is what does this involve and how much does it cost. ie passport jabs any others.
Thanks Vlad

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We take our dog as domany others. You need to read up on the defra web site and get a pet passport from your vet. The dog will need to be up to date on its vaccinations, micro chipped, rabbies vaccinated. Cost varries dependant on your vet. Cost us around £150 but that included blood tests which may not now be required.

Also, read up on return requirements, its simple but will cost you about €30 each time.:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No, I wouldn't entertain it!

Taking a dog abroad is as dangerous as stepping into a motorhome!

People WILL DIE!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS: We use the shuttle as we like to keep the dog with us at all times and its only 35 mins. Costs £30 for the return journey and there is a dedicated check in area for the dog. But if you want to avoid a delay dont travel back on a weekend with the dog.

Ours is a cocker spaniel.....

Attachments

• DSCF0052.JPG
    DSCF0052.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Still can't figure out how to get pics off bloody iPad onto post keeps telling me to resize apparently something to do with HD resolution .Got some great pics,any ideas anyone.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Here you are Frankie, make do with Lilly and Lynda in action on a Med. beach last week.

It will have to do until Vlad learns how to post a picture of his cockerpoo

Attachments

• Spanish Med 011 (Small).jpg
    Spanish Med 011 (Small).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve done this twice now first time was in may you need to get the rabies jab done as well as the normal jabs being up to date then you have to wait a month for a blood test to prove its worked
i think its valid for 5 years before it needs topping up
you have to get the dog wormed and frontlined by a vet between 1 and 4 days before you return you do need to consider this timing regarding ferries etc
on the ferries the dogs have to stay in the vehicle which could be a problem if your dog doesnt liike being locked in the van alone

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The rules have changed as of Jan 2012 so i urge you to got to www.defra.gov.uk, and look up pet passport.

Rabbies vaccine now last 3 years.

Some ferries insist dogs are kept in cages on the car deck and need to be booked in advance. But not all.

Dogs no longer require frontline only worming... please read it up rather than rely on us, so you know exactly what to expect from your vet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Your Vet will be the first place to go to sort out his passport.

Do it now and get that part of the process sorted out.

We use Eurotunnel as the dog stays with us in the MH, the journey is only 35 minutes each way and there is no travel disruption caused by bad weather in the Channel - whatever time of year he is taken abroad.

The return journey involves a visit to a Vet for Echinococcus treatment (one Milbemax tablet) and a thorough clinical examination.

The Vet visit is between 5 and 1 day before the return crossing and should take 5-10 minutes in the Vets - the Vet we used on Friday last week charged €35

But you must check that the Vet has stamped and dated correctly the Pet Passport (pages 16 and 28) or you will have problems at the Passport Customs Office.

It is your responsibility to ensure the details are correct or your dog could be refused entry back to the UK.

A recommended Vets List is available if requested.

:france::france::france:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I recently visited France in a Motorhome with a dog. A first on both counts!
I paid just over £70 for annual check, a rabies jab and issue of a passport.
P and O charge £15 each way for dog which stays below in MH. Current rules are you only have to wait 21 days to enter UK after innoculation. Outward no problem but for return to UK, you have to have dog checked for general health and having had a worming tablet not less than 24 hours prior to travel and not more than 120 hours since visit to the vet. The vet will check passport, check dog matches the chip, administer worming tablet and stamp the passport. I was charged 30 euros which is about normal.
The vet is in Calais, I was told by a French lady walking her dog where to go to. Being France you can park outside!! even though it is just 1 km from Calaid sea-front aire which overlooks harbour and beach.
I just walked in, sat and waited and was attended to without an appointment or even the need to speak, she knew why!
Naturally I recommend them and the details are as follows:

Clinique Veterinaire Le Goeland, 1148 Boulevard du General de Gaulle, 62100 Calais TEL: 03 21 34 77 39

The address will come up on Google earth using the address omitting 62100. It is a bungalow with practise on ground floor.

They are open 0830 to 1900 Monday to Friday with lunch from 1200 to 1400. Saturdays open 0900 to 1200.

Best to arrive an hour or more before closing in case they are busy else simple.

At port, check-in passed me chip reader to scan the dog and checked details on passport. She issued me with certificate to travel and job done.

All very simple, saw vet Friday, travelled to UK Monday.

Assuming your dog is chipped already, it really is simple.

I was surprised when someone spoke to me in English one day, I asked "how did you know I was English?" I saw you clear up your dog's poo she said, the French don't bother she told me!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rules for pet passport:

1) The dog/puppy needs to be microchipped which your vet can do (cost is around £15-£25). As far as I'm aware you actually don't have to have any other vaccinations done (ie the usual annual ones), but of course it is highly recommended that you do, ideally not at the same time as the rabies one though so that you don't over-tax their immune system.

2) Your vet will administer the rabies vaccination and complete the passport paperwork and you then have to wait 21 days before you can move the dog from the country you've had the vaccine done in to another one (this is for Europe ... don't know about the rest of the world!).

3) When returning to the UK you have to visit a vet between 1-5 days to get the tapeworm treatment done, there is no requirement now to have the tick treatment done but you'd be wise to do it anyway.

The original rabies vaccination can be valid for up to 3 years as can the subsequent boosters, however, it will depend on the actual vaccine used (ie which manufacturer) as to the validity period - we've got 2 dogs with 2-year validity, another one has 3!

We had our puppy done in February this year and it cost us £57 which included 3 worming tables, one for the pup and one for each of our other 2 dogs. Note that puppies must be at least 3 months old before they can have the rabies vaccine.

Full info is given on the webpage:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/

D

DM14742

Deleted User
I'd also suggest that you have a Doggie first aid kit with you (And kept with you when out with the Dog).Include antisceptic solution, Piriton for any allergic reactions, Tick remover, Crepe bandage & Micropore & dare I say it Sucher & thread if the worst comes to the worst. If your Dog does have an accident you may have to play the role of the Vet depending on where & when you are.:Eeek: I will qualify this & say that my advice goes for the UK as well !

Also I would suggest that you check out . as this will give you advice on Parasites and diseases that your Dog could be exposed to throughout Europe at varying times of the year - hopefully not to frighten you, just be informed & so avoid high risk areas.:thumb:
We did before going to the Dordogne in September & it gave us info about Sandflies in that area which can be high risk to a Dog.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
My Newfoundland is coming skiing, hope she's allowed Frankie, I need some one to carry the Brandy up the mountain:Smile:

Last edited:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Mentioned it to our vet (lovely kind Belgian lady)
about takeing our jack russel Russ with us once,
she said best left at home, too many illnesses and infections for which our
pets have no immunity too, along with due to all the kind owners taking their
pets with them vets are now having to deal with illnesses in our animals here unheard
of in the UK pre pet passports, due to previous quarantine regulations.
Ya pays your money and takes ya chances, not me I have great neighbours,and our Russ has two homes and no pet passport, sorry if I offend any pet lovers.
regards
Steve::bigsmile:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Steve - I do think you have a very valid point, I wasn't that comfortable taking my Lab to France for the very reasons you give, I think I will have to look into this in more depth before taking him again. Are there any Vets on Fun who could give any advice?

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Steve - I do think you have a very valid point, I wasn't that comfortable taking my Lab to France for the very reasons you give, I think I will have to look into this in more depth before taking him again. Are there any Vets on Fun who could give any advice?

Sorry not a vet, but we took our lab, then aged 8 months, when we went to Norway for 5 weeks earlier this year. She had just come into season for the first time when we set out but apart from going a bit stir crazy for a couple of weeks that posed no problems. The only "events" were picking up a couple of ticks in Norway which we quickly removed and the vet on the way back insisting that tick treatment was still required and giving her frontline combo treatment which provoked a very bad allergic reaction.

It was her first major trip and apart from the above was basically uneventful. She learned to swim in the fjiords, dug in the snow and along with us generally had a great time. We certainly wouldn't have considered leaving her for that length of time.

Attachments

• DSC01262.jpg
    DSC01262.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC01432.jpg
    DSC01432.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 9

MrsB

Free Member
Nov 6, 2012
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
VW T5 converted
Exp
we took our dogs on a road trip through France early this year. They need their passports & jabs and you must visit a vet up to 5 days before returning for them to administer some tablets (remember to take some liver pate - so much easier than big vet fingers down your dogs throat.....). Have a read in the France section on our blog [www.vanplusfour.com]. The chip by the way is read with a scanner when you drive through passport control on the French side. As long as your paperwork is in order and the chip works it's as easy as 1, 2, 3 ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
My Newfoundland is coming skiing, hope she's allowed Frankie, I need some one to carry the Brandy up the mountain:Smile:

I don't see any reason why she wouldn't! I bet that if you were asking to the mountain searchers squad, they would take her as an avalanche rescue dog (well as rum carrier actually not to search people in the snow::bigsmile:)

Well ... It's going to be wet in the motorhome when your big lady will be coming from a good run in the snow...her fur will be heavy with snow hanging everywhere:Eeek::roflmto:(and I am not talking about Nikki LOL)

Hope you'll have a great time!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well ... It's going to be wet in the motorhome when your big lady will be coming from a good run in the snow...her fur will be heavy with snow hanging everywhere:Eeek::roflmto:(and I am not talking about Nikki LOL)

I'd suggest getting a dog coat for her - ideally one that covers a lot of her fur but won't make her sweat, but will also ensure that she doesn't feel the cold as she won't be used to spending a lot of time in it as the 'native' dogs will be - something like the one in this link:

Broken Link Removed

From experience of ailments etc which our dogs have had on holiday:

1) Antiseptic spray, you can often get this for £1 in a small plastic spray bottle - it's meant for humans but we've found when we had a dog with a broken dew claw that it was ideal to be able to sterilise/protect the area from infection it without having to actually touch it as she wouldn't let us near it with anything else, we then just dressed it.

2) Tick removers - we got a set of 2 (small and large) from a vet in France for about £4 Euros I think, and we have had to use them a few times so they were well worth it - much easier that trying to use other things.

3) Take a couple of packs of tummy treatment ... a 'runny' dog in a motorhome is not fun (I know to my cost) and trying to get the treatment abroad is difficult and expensive if you can. It is sold in pet stores and even some garden centres (that's where we got out last lot in the UK).

4) Anti-hystamines - check which human ones are suitable for dogs and get some - I think Piriton is one of them but there are cheaper 'own brand' versions (search the web and/or ask your vet who will tell you what the active ingredient needs to be and what the dosage should be but don't buy them from them as they cost the earth if you do!), so if your dog has a reaction to summut you will have something to treat it with - one of our dogs is affected by certain types of grass and other things so we always carry some with us.

5) Large-width crepe bandages are useful too as they are quicker and easier to put on a dog's leg than small width ones, you may already have these, along with dressings etc, in your own first aid kit anyway. Get some proper pet dressing sticky tape from your vet or a good pet shop, believe me they will get anything else off in 2 seconds flat!!!

Other than that just the stuff you need to take for the pet passport requirements and any medication that your dog is on normally.

Not part of the medical kit, but something which should be part of your kit anyway, is a dog tag in the language of the country you are visiting with your mobile phone number on (include the country code) and a message on the tag to say to ring it if your pet is found. We find using the clear acrylic type rectangular key rings are best as you can easily replace the paper insert as appropriate.

As for whether or not to take your dog abroad - this was our experience with Lily, our Patterdale Terrier, who was poorly last year when we were in France, and we had to get the emergency vet out on a Sunday. She'd had 3 tics, the first about 2 weeks earlier, then another 2 in quick succession on Friday and Saturday - one of which was an absolute monster and had obviously been sucking away on her all Thursday night. On Friday she brought up some of her dinner but was otherwise fine, we put this down to our travelling on after she'd been fed and upsetting her tummy. She was fine all day Saturday but she wouldn't eat her dinner that night, or anything else for that matter, but was still drinking and fairly lively and, as she'd does this on odd occasions at home, we didn't think anything was too untoward. On Sunday morning she was lively and running around on the beach, but still not interested in food so we thought we'd see how she went on for a couple of hours and try to entice her with some smelly sausages and her favourite treats. By lunchtime she was quiet and a bit sleepy and wasn't doing her usual 'shaking jelly' impersonation when we travelled (which she always did), so we knew something was definitely amiss so we stopped and found details of a vet and called her out. Fortunately her daughter had spent a year in England so was fairly fluent as the vet was quite limited and our French a bit rusty!

The vet thought that it was a case of piroplasmosis infection passed on from the ticks so treated her as such, giving her an injection and hydration/glucose fluid, anti-vomiting medicine and a medication for the possible tick infection. We were told that if she hadn't started to eat by the end of the day, we'd have to take her back again in the morning. Fortunately within a few hours she was 'shaking' as usual and eating like a good-un and had completely got back to her usual self.

In all the years we've taken dogs abroad, we'd never had a problem with 'illness' until this - only the usual type of injuries they can get anywhere - upset tummy (from eating paper tissues!) and broken claws etc.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
She doesn't need a coat minx, she loves being outside in all wethers, she likes staying outside the van, the colder the better she says.
She loves snow and in the coldest winter ever a couple of years ago in Scotland skiing, my biggest job was getting her ack in the van...

Have you seen her coat? :Smile:

It was far harder taking her in the summer, rare for her breed to get ticks because of the coat not impossible though.

Very interesting thread though, not something I had thought of tbh :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Meg spent 7 weeks in France/Spain in the summer.Her first time as she is only just over a year old. No problems and she loved it. We treat her with Advantix in addition to her usual Advocate to ensure we protect her against ticks in addition to the usual stuff. She loves to travel and see (and smell) new places and new dogs.
Vet we used gave her an injection against tapeworm before returning. She's not good with tablets unless wrapped up in Brie/Camembert/Soft cheese of your choice.

There is also the cost to be considered, Trip to continent £15 each way + vet fee €40 compared with 7 weeks in her normal boarding kennels at would be £1,058 no brainer.:Smile:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
I think its a benefits / risk balance, I can't remember the last holiday I had without the dog & I just couldn't kennel him ( that's partly why we got a Motorhome!). If it meant putting off going into Europe then that's what I would do however I don't think it needs to come to that with reasonable precautions.

My Lab had a great time in France with no problems whatsoever but over and above the passport requirements I try to account for any eventualities carrying medication and bandages etc and also a recognition that the dog will spend long times travelling in warmer conditions than its used to & the dog will potentially be exposed to Parasites, Ticks, Fleas and Pathogens / Viruses that he will have no Immunity from because he doesn't live there.

A little preplanning before departure helps for instance in Southern Europe at the moment the advice is to keep dogs away from Forest areas due to some sort of nasty they could pick up (Don't know the details)
Sandflys in the Dordogne can pass on a really nasty disease but the chances of it happening are from Dusk onwards when the flies are airborne & looking for a host & from late summer early Autumn - so we got the Dog in the Van before dusk!
So if you manage the risk which probably isn't that high anyway you should be OK.:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
She doesn't need a coat minx, she loves being outside in all wethers, she likes staying outside the van, the colder the better she says.
She loves snow and in the coldest winter ever a couple of years ago in Scotland skiing, my biggest job was getting her ack in the van...

Have you seen her coat? :Smile:

It was far harder taking her in the summer, rare for her breed to get ticks because of the coat not impossible though.

Very interesting thread though, not something I had thought of tbh :thumb:

I was thinking more of you being able to keep her and your van clean! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back