Doggie barrier/gate for MH doorway (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
After messing about with various contraptions, including expanding 'diamond' trellis etc to make a doggie barrier/gate I finally made one that works brilliantly (even if I do say so myself!). :D

I got a second hand 'pressure fit' baby gate from a car boot sale for a few quid and then set about altering it.

I cut down the support on the 'hinge' side so that the it was narrower than the opening taking into account the extra space for the pressure fixings which hold it in place (including the bolt ... don't ask! :X3:). Due to the back of the kitchen unit being shaped the top had to have more cut off than the bottom but this meant that the pressure fixing could not be used at the top any more but more about that later.

I put it in situ to check it for fit and tightened up the pressure fixings at the bottom, whilst it was okay I wasn't happy that it was good enough due to the flexing of the cover next to the sliding door (base of the 'b' pillar). I took the screws out of the cover, managed to peer behind it, and found there was nothing there at all, it was just purely a cover with a void behind. I decided the best thing would be to brace it in some way so that when the pressure fixings are tightened up they have something to actually push against. The solution I came up with was to cut some 3 x 2 timber packers and pop them in - due to the limited access I had to do this in 3 parts and once I was happy it (after scraped knuckles!) I put the cover back on and the screws in.

I put the gate back in situ and tightened up the bottom fixings - as it was now a nice 'solid' surface I got a tight fit, so that worked for the bottom, now for the top.

Due to the shaping of the kitchen unit back I'd had to cut down the top part of the hinge support side right next to the main upright so it wasn't possible to use the original pressure fixings as there was no 'hole' for them to slot into, also, due to the close proximity of the lift up worktop extension, it needed to be narrow anyway plus I wasn't convinced that even if I could have used the original pressure fixings that I would have been able to get it tight enough to keep it in place especially if our Romy (aka the heffalump) decided to jump up at it! I decided instead it would be better to make a bracket of some sort to slot the side of the gate support into so there was no way it could be dislodged ... important in case the dogs tried to ram-raid it! :LOL:

Now this is where it got to be 'fun' ... most of my bits and bobs are down at our static caravan so I had to improvise! I had a good old rummage in the workshop and found (in my stock of 'all those bits that might come in useful someday' (y) ) a plastic 'clip' that's meant to hold kick boards under kitchen units, which was springy and quite robust. I cut the two 'legs' off it so it just left a squarish 'u' shape which tipped inwards at the top due to the springing, then drilled a couple of holes in it (so it can't twist round and make it a more secure fit) fitted it to the side of the kitchen unit back with a couple of thin half inch round head screws. I don't like to put holes in my campers more than I need to but I'd rather not risk my dogs getting out and can easily cover the holes in the future if/when we come to sell.

Before I refitted the gate I put a felt type self-adhesive 'blob' on the end of the gate support (I had to pack it out a little to keep it flat), this is so that the cut metal end can't damage/scratch the unit. I slotted it into the clip, then tightened up the bottom pressure fixings, adjusted the top 'open/close' fixing so that it kept the gate in place when closed and voila ... I now have a sturdy dog gate that won't get in the way and can be removed easily if needed - it is meant to be opened inwards but I found that with a little bit more adjustment to the pressure pads it can be opened outwards too ... I didn't get this finished though as it started to throw it down! I've also made a basic elasticated strap with a key ring on the end which slots behind the worktop flat edge to keep the gate in the open position (for if we're on a slope) but will do something a bit more suitable ... when I've got all my bits and bobs back from the static!!! :rolleyes:

If anyone wants to do this themselves make sure that the dog gate you get is the type I have with the 2 little 'flanges' on the bottom - this means that you can open and close it easily just by lifting it a little bit so the flanges clear the bottom bar, if you want it to stay put (eg for when travelling) you can then push down the pressure fix handle. If you don't get the one with these 'flanges' every time you want to open/close it you'll have to mess about with the pressure fix handle which, take it from me, will be a pain in the bum as they're not that easy to do!

Pictures below ...

Gate closed - pressure handle in use
closed - handle down.JPG

Gate closed - pressure handle not used - kept in place by bottom flanges
closed - handle up.JPG

Gate open - with 'key ring' strap on
Open - inwards.JPG

Gate open - outwards
open - outwards.JPG

Flanges on bottom of gate - important to get a gate with these on
flanges.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bottom left fixing
fixing - bottom left.JPG

Bottom right fixing (it was the cover shown here which I put the packing behind)
fixing - bottom right.JPG

Top left bracket
fixing - top left.JPG

Top right pressure fixing & handle in closed position
fixing - top right.JPG

Deleted User
Great job :)

We are struggling with ours because we have a foot well, all the the gates end up with the bottom bar across the well tripping everyone up.
Nige ended up making a wooden gate.
WP_20160125_15_10_45_Pro.jpg

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Nice job both of you. But just out of interest to anyone else who perhaps hasn't got your skills (or perseverance) we got ours from Argos, Lindam Pet Barrier for £24. It is an expanding design so we use it at home as well to keep the little blighter from going upstairs.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
TerryL - am I right in thinking though that when you take the pressure off the whole thing moves and doesn't 'pivot' on a hinge? If so its very similar to the travel baby gates which I'd tried previously:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/munchki...arrier/100-4099.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=100-4099

As a barrier I think what you've got is very good but not for the opening/closing we do constantly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Very very posh :)

next door put an old cot out for the bin men last year..
I took one side off, cut it to length and we use that !
Not as posh and as nice but it does double work..
Either in the doorway or when travelling across the backi of the cab seats.. Dillon is on a leash in the back anyway but it is belt and braces thing..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back