Dog Travel Hull to Zeebrugge (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
What arrangements can be made for dog's toilet requirements on long ferry crossings? I only know you can visit by arrangement the dog in the MH
Find it odd you are encouraged to use absorbent bedding for your dog,ours would need to leave her cage and the MH before she would anything at all.
This must be a common problem for dogs and hopefully there is a common sense solution
Thanks
Ian

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I wouldn't like to think a dog was messing anywhere on a ferry to be honest, I suggest using a shorter route or leave the dog behind if it cant stay in the motorhome.
I have used the Hull ferries many times and have never seen a dog on one before.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
These guys should be able to help, or contact the ferry operator direct:

"Not all ferry operators have the facility to take pets, therefore please contact us on 08445 765503 ormail@aferry.com before booking so we can add them to your booking. Ferry operators usually charge a small fee for each pet that they carry."​

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I wouldn't like to think a dog was messing anywhere on a ferry to be honest, I suggest using a shorter route or leave the dog behind if it cant stay in the motorhome.
I have used the Hull ferries many times and have never seen a dog on one before.

That is because they are not allowed in passenger areas . Clearly you would not see them.The ferry companies do encourage dog travel.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It's a long crossing for an animal left in a vehicle. And although you can visit them, what can you do? If they're unhappy you can't stay with them, if they're ok, pleased to see you, you then have to say ok, leaving you again.
I always found the Le Havre to Portsmouth trip-5 and a bit hours, was the most mine could take, and I always did a shorter crossing rather than that in preference.

I think the Hull to Zeebrugge crossing is nearer 8 hours, possibly too stressful for a lone dog?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
These guys should be able to help, or contact the ferry operator direct:

"Not all ferry operators have the facility to take pets, therefore please contact us on 08445 765503 ormail@aferry.com before booking so we can add them to your booking. Ferry operators usually charge a small fee for each pet that they carry."​

Broken Link Removed
Thank you for this helpful response

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we were regulars on the Hull Zeebrugge crossing some years back, (pre dog) 8 crossings in 6 months sorting out my mums house sale

there is a very grim looking kennel on the lorry deck, saw several lorry drivers using this, vowed we never would, only use the chunnel now we have a dog

Loved the Hull route to Europe and would go back to it without a dog, but the price loading takes some swallowing, wherever you live

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we were regulars on the Hull Zeebrugge crossing some years back, (pre dog) 8 crossings in 6 months sorting out my mums house sale

there is a very grim looking kennel on the lorry deck, saw several lorry drivers using this, vowed we never would, only use the chunnel now we have a dog

Loved the Hull route to Europe and would go back to it without a dog, but the price loading takes some swallowing, wherever you live

Thank you for this looks like we'll be following your example

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We always travel with our dog(s) which is why we always take the Chunnel and on the Italy to Greece to Crete ferries we always book a pet cabin or camping on board. I have seen some of the kennels on board ferries and I wouldn't put a cuddly toy in them, let alone a dog.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back