dog trailer for bike rides (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Has anyone on here bought a bicycle dog trailer for there dog / dogs ?
Did you get , do you get , plenty use out of it?
Does your dog like it?
Even better has anyone got one to sell ?

We like to go for bike rides and would really like to buy one.
Having just returned from York, we found a converted rail track for walking or bikes. Lovely and flat , York centre 3 miles one way and Selby 10 miles the other. We wished we'd have had one with us , to do the 10 mile trip.
We have 2 Border Terriers , one aged 13 the other nearly 2.
Although both dogs love going for very long walks, it wouldn't be fair to have them running along side our bikes (with those special lead things) especially the older one!!
We dont want to have to leave them in the MH for hours either, while we are out exploring . We are going to the Isle of White in May for a week , and plan on using the bikes a lot.
For anyone that doesn't know , the trailer fastens to the back of a bike , and is fully enclosed to stop the dog jumping out .
Can anyone recommend a particular make ,or give me any advice what to look out for.
Thanks.
Bev

Last edited:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
I've seen them and I've also seen one with children in!!!
Other than that sorry can't help have you tried Halfords?

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Link Removed
http://www.wicycle.com/
Link Removed

Try these. Told you I'd seen kids in one!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks Sue and Jim,
I know where to get them from, but they vary in price a lot.
Ive seen people whiz by with kids or dogs in them too.:roflmto:
What I'm after is some advise on which is the best to get, or what not to get , what they are like to tow etc
From someone thats used them , they are quite pricey you see.
I didn't want to be stuck with a dead loss of a thing .
I'm sure the dogs would go in one as they are used to being crated .
Even better if one of you members are selling one , or thinking of selling one.:winky:
Bev

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Try Dog Kreuser, they are a Swedish(?) design but there are clones available.

I have just sold mine as my dog did not enjoy it and used to look like a Panzer tank commander!.

I found towing with a small wheel bike very hard but better with a normal sized wheel.

The carrier folds up and the wheels are quick release. They can be carrioed on a bike rack.

Also available is a waterproof cover, think McClaren Buggy, and you could use the trailer as an on-pitch kennel.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
We use ours a lot, the hound loves to run at my side but having used the gps on one outing and seen the distance he had covered we decided on the trailer to give him a rest.
As has been mentioned the trailer is fantastic for a trip to the supermarche.
We bought ours on ebay, it took a while for the right one to come along - secondhand but unused - lots of alloy so light.
Highly recommend. :thumb:

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
igot a trailer for pushbikes from switzerland at a garden centre, it's basicaly a big tub, and a frame, wheels and a tow bar that goes over the rear tyre and attatches to a mini tow itch attatched to the seat post of the bike.

but it dosent fold up or owt, i take the wheels and drawbar off and hung it from the bike rack.
very very handy for going shopping, and my dog loves it, we let her run alongside when she wants and it's safe, when on roads she jumps back in the trailer and sits in the tub happily.

one thing to be aware of if having a dog in a trailer, your journeys will take longer than solo, not due to the dog weighing more, but due to everyone stopping you to comment on how cute your dog looks and how kewl the trailer is.

i made a trailer for my scooter once to, a frame with indispension hubs and wheels, a swiveling draw ar and a dog travel crate, with the lights on the back of the trailer, numberplate on the door, and a 5 litre water can and bowl attatched to the front.

the dog really loved that, and everyone else did except the police in spain,

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
If you are a member of Costco, they do one for under £60. I want one but hubby tells me dogs wouldn't stay put - and they are too big to go in it, one being a bull terrier and the other a cross collie. They are old and thought it was a good idea.

Karen

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Bev

Check your inbox - I've sent you a message.

Minx

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks Minx,
you also have mail :Smile:

Ive successfully bid on an orange and Grey dog trailer. With a little orange flag !
I should get it in a couple of days.
Who knows , we may get the dogs used to it by the weekend.
I know i will have 3 willing helpers , the kids are already arguing who's going to tow it.
(only round our park , i may add )
We are planning on 4 or 5 days away once everyone else , bar you retirees , are back at work:winky:
We may take it with us, if the dogs are happy with it .
Bev

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We bought a Doggyride trailer a few years ago. Our old border collie could not manage long walks but he needed to be outdoors with the other two younger dogs. We used the trailer as a stroller and he would get out for little walks every so often but then ride like 'Lord Muck' in between. it really enhanced his quality of life in his last few months and enabled us to continue walking as one big 'family'. We did have to confine ourselves to reasonably flat walks! :Eeek:

We needed it again a couple of years ago when our second dog began to struggle although she did not settle in it so readily and would try to escape frequently!

it wasn't cheap or lightweight but folds up and is well constructed. We have not yet towed it as a trailer but I would imagine its very heavy!

www.doggyride.com

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pleased you got sorted Bev, I'll do as you say and get mine on the adverts when I get a minute. ::bigsmile:

As for strollers for dogs, we have had poorly doggies and have tried several types (baby buggies etc), the best was a Luna baby buggy which I picked up at a car boot sale for £8 which was very easy to manouvre, lightweight and quick to fold - the 'seat' could be laid quite flat for our dog to lay out on and had good sized wheels so it didn't bog down on soft wet grass areas, which some can do.

I've looked at the 'proper' dog strollers and the main problem I have with them (apart from the extortionate cost of some:Eeek: ) is that the handle is too upright so that when walking you tend to kick the bottom of the buggy or end up walking funny .. not very comfortable either.:Angry: At least with cheap baby buggies if one doesn't suit you can soon get another either cheap or even free. When we'd finished with them I simply passed them on to others to make use of via Freecycle.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
dog basket

anyone know where i could get something like a basket to put dog in on front of honda cub:Smile:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
anyone know where i could get something like a basket to put dog in on front of honda cub:Smile:

Well I'm not sure what a honda cub is:Blush: if you go on the net you can get dog baskets with a metal grid on the top, to keep them in though. Sorry i cant do the link.

I have a large pink bike with big tyres , and gears, like the ones you see in Amsterdam, "giant" is the make.
It has a white wicker basket on the front and a pannier rack on the back. If i put anything too heavy (like a dog) in the front it affects the steering .
I suppose it could do the same with a motorbike too.
Thats why we went for the trailer. Though i wont be pulling it !
Ill have the picnic in my new pannier rack saddle bag
Bev

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There are these:

Link Removed

dog basket

Sorry gotta dash - tea's ready! Back later!:whatthe:

Oldgirl101

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Funster No
Dog trailer

Hi
We bought a dog trailer from ebay for about £60. It came from Germany and is excellent quality. We have a 14 year old Tibetan Spaniel and a younger cross-breed. The Tibby rides in the trailer behind my husband's bike and we use a 'doggie walker' which is a metal rod with a lead on the end to keep the dog away from the tyres/pedals for the cross breed who trots alongside his bike. The trailer is also great if you stop for tea/coffee/lunch. Both dogs just settle down in the trailer still attached to the bike while we stop at a cafe. We go motorhoming and enjoy cycling so the trailer is great for our dog who still enjoys short walks but simply cannot manage long walks anymore.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Sorry, guys, but you're barking up the wrong tree!

What would be far more use is a harness, so Chief, or a similar-sized hound, could pull me round the countryside! Sort of like a husky sled for temperate climates.

I'd love to see what the Spanish police would make of that one.

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Doggyride thumbs up

Our lovely labrador actually prefers to walk or run alongside::bigsmile: but sometimes we need her to ride when there's traffic around! We tried converting several kid/luggage trailers (we have had 5 trailers for various jobs in total) but she jumped out or wriggled out. Then the doggyride arrived. It has a circluar zip in the top so she can look out but not jump/climb out - fantastic! It's also very well ventilated so it's fine in summer. No more rolling in rotten dead sheep when she's jumped out and I'm not looking on a Scottish single track - yes we thought we had tied her in securely enough... Yes that old trailer still stinks of rotten sheep!:cry:
Whatever dogs end up riding in make sure they can't get their nose or paws onto the back wheel - many dog trailers are not designed to prevent this but doggyride does.
jane

PS I have no connection with the dutch company just happy to have found the trailer:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back