Dog tracker recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
On our recent trip (yay!) our 3-yr old cocker trotted away from us out of sight oblivious to our calls and whistle. Nose in the air, on a mission. First time we've been worried we may lose her. Fortunately someone met her and herded her back to us.
So we've decided to get a tracker and looking for recommendations. Not too pricey nor too heavy and we don't want to pay a monthly subscription.
Thanks, Karen

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
On our recent trip (yay!) our 3-yr old cocker trotted away from us out of sight oblivious to our calls and whistle. Nose in the air, on a mission. First time we've been worried we may lose her. Fortunately someone met her and herded her back to us.
So we've decided to get a tracker and looking for recommendations. Not too pricey nor too heavy and we don't want to pay a monthly subscription.
Thanks, Karen
Do a Google search for a dog tracker chip?

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Tractive, been using them for a few years now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    915.9 KB · Views: 42
Nov 20, 2019
Monifieth, Dundee, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2020
Another vote for Tractive. We lost our dog on a mountain in Scotland and only managed to find her some 15 hours later because she had her Tractive tracker on and fortuitously returned to a summit where there was signal. A couple of points to bear in mind:
1. The battery will only last 4 days at most. I believe there are systems with bigger batteries.
2. It only works where you have network. I believe there are systems which use bluetooth or radio if your dog is close to you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would suggest keeping her on a lead when in areas that you don’t know and save yourself some money🤔😊

Nov 20, 2019
Monifieth, Dundee, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2020
Agreed. Ours now has a harness, is never off the lead (she hates that, poor thing, but it is in her own interest) and has the tracker attached to a separate collar. The tracker is really just a backup in case something like a door being accidently left open lets her out when we aren't watching.

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
I spent hours looking and went for a tractive.

I have a 2.5 year old Cocker Spaniel who likes to wonder off exploring on her own.

I have given up with it. On the many occasions I had need to use it there was no signal as I (or she ) was in the woods and there is no signal.

It is now in the cupboard with the rest of the expensive gadgets that are never good as claimed.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We've got a Tractive on the cat. It's not perfect, but it's better than bluetooth or radio beacon based equivalents.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
I had a Tractive for my cocker but stopped using it as it didn’t work in wooded areas where one needs it most. Fine in a wide open field. It also kept dropping signal if I wasn’t holding it in my hand. I’m very interested to hear of successful alternatives.

Wilberforceftw

Free Member
Jul 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift 614
Exp
I've used pawfit and found it very good. Signal loss at times but it is a mobile signal after all. Some other features such as alarm feature, geo fence (can set perimeter on a map) if they leave you get notified. Happy with mine. If your interested in pawfit I can give a referral code for some free subscription for you and me I think. For info I've had mine for over 12 months.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I would suggest keeping her on a lead when in areas that you don’t know and save yourself some money🤔😊
We normally do just that. We thought this particular location was suitably secure for her to let off steam tearing between us for her rewards. We were wrong.
If there's a next time, we'll keep a trailing lead on her.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We normally do just that. We thought this particular location was suitably secure for her to let off steam tearing between us for her rewards. We were wrong.
If there's a next time, we'll keep a trailing lead on her.
We have had working cockers for 30+ years and not Had one yet that wasn’t prone to disappear on a good scent so if in unfamiliar territory always on a lunge lead.😊 It’s to stressful worrying about them😊

Wilberforceftw

Free Member
Jul 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift 614
Exp
Mines a runner hence the tracker. If he gets chance he goes. Its what I get for having a crazy sprocker. Never needed tracker in anger but feel glad it's there for the couple of quid a month

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
I thing I am going to give an apple airtag a try.

£29.00 plus a holder

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Our border lived it to his slogan of "Borders are bolters"...

We put a bell on him, small one that was used for goats. We generally found that he wondered no more than a few hundred metres away and we could find him 90% of the time. The bell was on a clip on collar that we only put on when we went for a walk. He did stray much further about twice a year (as you said on a mission) and on those times a tracker would have been needed, preferably one coded to an Exocet:oops:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I thing I am going to give an apple airtag a try.

£29.00 plus a holder
There are already reports that they work really well in busy urban areas where there are lots of iPhones, but not so much once people aren't continuously inside its limited range.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Our border lived it to his slogan of "Borders are bolters"...

We put a bell on him, small one that was used for goats. We generally found that he wondered no more than a few hundred metres away and we could find him 90% of the time. The bell was on a clip on collar that we only put on when we went for a walk. He did stray much further about twice a year (as you said on a mission) and on those times a tracker would have been needed, preferably one coded to an Exocet:oops:
The Tractive ones can be set to beep and flash (although the flashing is pretty useless). Still depends on it getting a mobile signal though.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
One of ours is blind and has managed to get out of the van two or three times now to explore. Twice in the pitch dark on caravan club sites. We send the older dog to go find her and bring her home. Looked into the trackers a few times but the very mixed reviews are a concern. Only good if the signal for the phone sim is strong. We even considered putting a micro type phone in a holder in her harness, which we could set to auto answer to talk to her etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back