May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
re-living the gloryb days of series 2 BC
Hi,
We intend to take our four footed fried to Spain in Feb - does anyone have previous for this time of year + any tips - heard of the sand flies and caterpillars
We have taken her to France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and Netherlands but sense that Spain has the potential to be more problematic
Thanks,
John

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are out here now only the usual ones you have mentioned as long as you are careful shouldn't be any problems. Enjoy:smiley:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We took ours to Spain several times at this time of year. No problems at all - except for looking out for the poisonous caterpillars that you already know about. Spanish law requires the dog to be secured away from the driver, although I don't know of any problems caused by this in practice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Google Leish, it is a parasitic disease which affects dogs and is prevalent in Spain, you can buy collars which protect the dog or get your vet to give them an injection.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Examine for ticks daily --a tick remover is useful.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Likewise we use Advantix. Check regularly for ticks and have an "Oto" tick remover.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Our dog lives in Spain and these are the recommendations from the Spanish Vet. Collar: Scalibor Tick Collar, I would buy this in Spain as I think the make up of the collar is a little different in Spain than the UK (I stand to be corrected) She is also given Cardotek tablet every 3 months this covers heart worm. And we give her Advantix (which I would also buy in Spain)

Lots of animal drugs, pills and potions can be bought at most chemist shops in Spain, The above keeps our dog free from all known thingies in Spain and she lives in Andalucia which is one of the worst places in Spain for the dreaded bits that you don't want your dog to get.

Having given the above, we NEVER have ticks and the like on our dog, we follow Spanish vets advice and if we needed to give more....we would!

Hope that helps.(y)

Oh! and its sunny here at the moment:D

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Billy23.
We use Advantix,our daughter has the Scalibor collars on her dogs,when i mentioned that i would buy the collar,she said you cannot use the two together.
Being as i am a belt and braces man...(NOTHING to do with loving our over fur producing,useless article Baggio Growler!). could you confirm you are useing the two,with no ill effect to your "Pest mate"LOL
Tea Bag

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
When I lived in Andalucia I lost one of my 3 Cockers to Leish. There is now a course of injections available which I will be getting for Cassie before going back. Think it is around £150. I don't want to loose her to that terrible disease. The Scalibor collars are not 100% effective for sand flies.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Hi Billy23.
We use Advantix,our daughter has the Scalibor collars on her dogs,when i mentioned that i would buy the collar,she said you cannot use the two together.
Being as i am a belt and braces man...(NOTHING to do with loving our over fur producing,useless article Baggio Growler!). could you confirm you are useing the two,with no ill effect to your "Pest mate"LOL
Tea Bag
I have used the 2 together for our last dag and this one, so combined about 8 years and with this dog, I cannot keep the blighter down and she is running my bloody legs off :)

I would point out that our vet knows that we use both and knowing us as she does, and that we would buy or do ANYTHING that she advises she has not told us that you cannot use both together.

Woff! Woff! Dinner..Dinner....Dinner....Bat Dog:D

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Billy23.
Thanks for that info,we have a flocks of sheep/goats wandering about so ticks are a'plenty.(Also by products,have to keep my eye out for that,she shows GREAT interest in it !). Will be off to buy the collar from the vet in Tondela,she is very good,looked after the daughters and our dog,plus other members of the gangs dogs,even brought,"Oscar", Robs Bourgeois... Long pointy nosed thing,back to life from the dead.... SPOILT ? You want to see him now!
Thanks again.... "Walkies....LOL"
Tea Bag Sassies dad

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Hi,
Leishmans is from Mosquitos,therefore,don't allow your dog to be out after dark if the little sods are about.

Don't underestimate the prossesionry caterpillars they are killers but are only about where you see pine/conifer type trees,keep away from these and you'll be fine.
They are an obnoxious creature they can eject a spray and if injested can kill so as Dogs "sniff" at everything you can see the dilemma.

The seasons approx Feb - April.

It's not a problem if you are aware, most of this occurs mainly in the Campo/Countryside.

Don't worry you'll and your best pal will be fine if you are careful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back