Dog sitting in front? (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Have tried to search for this but no joy.

As we're back in France is our dog allowed in one of the front seats providing he is
in a harness using the seatbelt?
Thanks.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
My understanding is that the dog must be restrained in such a way that it cannot interfere with the driver of the vehicle - but that may be insufficient so perhaps someone who really knows the French law will reply.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If its a Border Collie like the last one we had,it got in first and we fitted around it,another one would set off in the middle seat of a Mk3 Land Rover and by the time we had done 10 miles,it was on the n/side window seat and first wife was in the middle. I just loved to see the way he worked his way across (Out of the corner of my eye(y)) ,but never said a word,he was my mate.
The real reason i said nothing,when he was in the middle seat,he used to DRIBBLE!!! all over the bl**dy gear lever.:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:
It is something they are hot on in Portugal,it has to have a seperation,mesh/guard in place.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks (y)
I know Spain says in the back but seem to remember saving a document that in France they only require them to be restrained & unable to interfere with the driver.

Now if only I could find that document :rolleyes:
Ps not a border collie

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think that @Bill_OR is right.

I googled 'code de la route animaux en voiture'. Now obviously this brings up only french results but it would appear that the French Highway Code doesn't make any reference to transporting domestic animals in your car. The articles that did come up seemed to confirm that the only rule of the code that would apply is one that says that nothing should impede the drivers movements or field of vision

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thank you for the replies @ColinandDawn & @Stroppy Bird

Thats the way I was thinking he would be in the middle seat with his harness clipped into his own seatbelt.

He's done about 2500 miles in the back around Spanish roads but it's obvious he wants to be in the front again.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Thank you for the replies @ColinandDawn & @Stroppy Bird

Thats the way I was thinking he would be in the middle seat with his harness clipped into his own seatbelt.

He's done about 2500 miles in the back around Spanish roads but it's obvious he wants to be in the front again.
Hi.
Sorry,the Mesh/Guard is in the car,vans. I would think that as long as he is happy on the harness/seatbelt,that will be more than enough for Portugal in the mo/ho.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi.
I would think that as long as he is happy on the harness/seatbelt,that will be more than enough
Tea Bag
Thanks Tea Bag (y)
He's more than happy on the harness.
But he can nosey park out of more windows in the front :LOL:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Have tried to search for this but no joy.

As we're back in France is our dog allowed in one of the front seats providing he is
in a harness using the seatbelt?
Thanks.
NO LAW (no restraining, no back seat only) in France on this precise mater.
Just be sensible for your own sake and your animal's one.
The only thing that can happen is if you have an accident because of the animal being in the way, you'll be considered as responsible.

Last edited:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Perhaps something to consider, if you have a newish van with front air bags, would the dog be affected if they were activated (if fitted, do you need to turn off passenger bag)?

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
If I remember right when the 2CV first came out in France it's selling point was the amount of animals a farmer could get in the car.

Therefore no rules were put in place about restraining them in case it upset the farmers.

And presumably there are still no rules ....

But I would like to think us Brits have more common sense than Johnny Foreigner - don't we?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks (y)
I know Spain says in the back but seem to remember saving a document that in France they only require them to be restrained & unable to interfere with the driver.

Now if only I could find that document :rolleyes:
Ps not a border collie

There isn't a "back only" rule in Spain. They might tell you that is the law but it isn't . Just has to be unable to interfere with driver. I have a leaflet somewhere that says the same.

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Great thanks for all the replies.

All three of us will be much happier traveling together in the front.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
As the law sounds ambiguous, its best to just ensure everyone is safe, i.e., dog can't interfere with your control of the vehicle and is firmly secured in clipped to seatbelt fitting or his harness. Unsecured Dog at 20 miles an hour crash will go straight through the windscreen and theres no way you would be able to hold him back, because of the multiplier force effect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back