Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
If we take our dog to Belgium,how long can we stay there before we need to visit a vet on our return?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You need to take your dog no earlier than 1 day and no later to arrive in UK day 5 I think.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
yep thats correct, Max 5 days before return, and please be careful, just checked our dogs passport and the vets put the time on as well, 5 days mean 5 days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
You have to visit the Vets however long you stay, if that’s what you meant? Don’t think there’s an upper limit - we were almost a year when we were full timing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Saying between 1 and 5 days isn't accurate enough.

You need to have the tapeworm treatment administered by a vet and the passport stamped between 24 and 120 hours before your return to the UK. You need to make absolutely sure the vet has filled in the date and time correctly.

At Pet Check In they will check it down to the minute if you're at either end of the window.

If you're outside the window, even by 5 minutes, they won't let you travel. I've seen it happen more than once. There's no discussion or argument, you aren't getting on the train or ferry.

You would have to go and find another vet, get the treatment done again and come back 24 hours later.

We always aim at seeing a vet 2 or 3 days before we travel to allow for unforeseen cockups.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
@NickNic is spot on. Stick to the 24-120 hour rule and double check the vet stamps, signs, dates and times the passport correctly.
I had a vet put the wrong year on one rabies date. And a friend had a vet miss the time off, caused a lot of grief ( and additional cost)

Last edited:

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We had a vet who signed the passport but forgot to stamp it and caused a lot of grief.
Check everything is correct before presenting the bloody thing.

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
If we take our dog to Belgium,how long can we stay there before we need to visit a vet on our return?

The Government website says:

If you’re leaving the UK for a short trip, your dog must be treated by a vet before you go. You must wait for 24 hours before re-entering the UK and return within 120 hours or you’ll need to get another treatment abroad.

You should treat your dog again within 28 days of returning to the UK.

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Be aware that when they say to visit the vets more than one day before return, they mean it. I visited vets at 9am and was checking in at 8.30am the following day. They made me wait until 9am before they would let me check in. Grrrrrrrrrr :mad:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A curious by product of the five to one day rule is if you want to visit France for example for 2 days you can have your dog treated before you leave. And you have to do this if making a quick booze cruise of less than a day.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Sorry if I'm 'teaching my granny to suck eggs' but you will have got your dog a pet passport before you leave the UK won't you?

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
Sorry if I'm 'teaching my granny to suck eggs' but you will have got your dog a pet passport before you leave the UK won't you?
Yes. It's a passport and they won't be admitted to France without it You have to wait 21 days after the rabies injection before you can take the dog abroad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And you have to do this if making a quick booze cruise of less than a day.
Cheaper to put the dog in kennels for the day! :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes. It's a passport and they won't be admitted to France without it You have to wait 21 days after the rabies injection before you can take the dog abroad.

Only partially correct. Yes the rules say you can’t travel until 21 days after the rabies injection but there are are no checks leaving the UK, entering France or crossing any other EU internal border

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Last time I took mine abroad (France, then Spain, then France, then UK, one month trip) the only check on the dogs or their passports was on check-in at the port of exit.

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
Only partially correct. Yes the rules say you can’t travel until 21 days after the rabies injection but there are are no checks leaving the UK, entering France or crossing any other EU internal border
There are posts above from people who have had to rearrange their crossing or pay extra to get passport corrected when they have had it checked it, so presumably some get looked at.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Last time I took mine abroad (France, then Spain, then France, then UK, one month trip) the only check on the dogs or their passports was on check-in at the port of exit.
That seems to be how it works. No dogs are interfered with on entry. So to speak. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There are posts above from people who have had to rearrange their crossing or pay extra to get passport corrected when they have had it checked it, so presumably some get looked at.

Only to return to the UK.

The Pet Passport scheme doesn’t require checks at all. The checks are an additional DEFRA requirement for animals entering the UK so there are only checks at ports where services leave mainland Europe heading to Britain.

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
Only to return to the UK.

The Pet Passport scheme doesn’t require checks at all. The checks are an additional DEFRA requirement for animals entering the UK so there are only checks at ports where services leave mainland Europe heading to Britain.

I think these are the checks:

"
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/coming-back-to-the-uk

When you arrive in the UK, staff from the travel company or airport will scan your pet’s microchip and check your documents. Your pet might be checked before you board, for example if you’re travelling by sea or Eurotunnel.

Your pet could be put into quarantine or sent back to the country it travelled from if:
•you don’t have the correct documents
•it hasn’t been properly prepared for travel
"
As its a Europe wide scheme I would assume the same is meant to apply travelling to France?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think these are the checks:

"
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/coming-back-to-the-uk

When you arrive in the UK, staff from the travel company or airport will scan your pet’s microchip and check your documents. Your pet might be checked before you board, for example if you’re travelling by sea or Eurotunnel.

Your pet could be put into quarantine or sent back to the country it travelled from if:
•you don’t have the correct documents
•it hasn’t been properly prepared for travel
"
As its a Europe wide scheme I would assume the same is meant to apply travelling to France?

Yes.

Read what you copy and pasted.

Coming back to the UK

I don’t need to get into this really. Many of us do this on a very regular basis so we know the rules.

If you think you know better good luck to you (y)

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
Yes.

Read what you copy and pasted.

Coming back to the UK

I don’t need to get into this really. Many of us do this on a very regular basis so we know the rules.

If you think you know better good luck to you (y)
I'm just trying to understand because we're off in a few weeks time, hence the final question mark.

So there are regulations for taking your dog to France (e.g. microchip) but no checks going out?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No one has ever checked my dogs leaving the uk or entering France.
The only checks that take place are in France, at the port or train terminal, when you check in to return to UK.
You are asked to scan your dog, then hand the chip reader back to the clerk, who checks it matches the chip no in the passport.
The clerk then prints and completes the tick list of checks. Takes about 10 minutes maximum.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm just trying to understand because we're off in a few weeks time, hence the final question mark.

So there are regulations for taking your dog to France (e.g. microchip) but no checks going out?

There are no checks whatsoever leaving the UK.

You could get your animals out of the UK with no passport, no microchip and no rabies jab. You could also happily travel the EU and associated pet passport countries.

You just wouldn’t get back into the UK.

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
No one has ever checked my dogs leaving the uk or entering France.
The only checks that take place are in France, at the port or train terminal, when you check in to return to UK.
You are asked to scan your dog, then hand the chip reader back to the clerk, who checks it matches the chip no in the passport.
The clerk then prints and completes the tick list of checks. Takes about 10 minutes maximum.
Thanks very much, that's most helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back