Dog passport (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
OK all you dog traveler we are wondering how long it takes to get the passport for the nut
He is chipped
Might need sum boosters he will need rabies
How long is it before we can travel with him
Bill

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
When we got our mutt's passport, they said we could put a picture of him in it. So we put in a picture of him licking his bollox :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK all you dog traveler we are wondering how long it takes to get the passport for the nut
He is chipped
Might need sum boosters he will need rabies
How long is it before we can travel with him
Bill

Annual boosters don't matter for the passport but they should be up to date anyway for the general good of the dog. The vet may not be willing to give the rabies jab if they aren't.

He will need a rabies vaccination and the vet should give you the passport at the same time. You won't be able to travel until 21 days after the date of the rabies jab.

You don't need the blood test unless you're travelling outside the EU.

A standard rabies jab should last 3 years and it's 1 injection. If your vet tells you it's more than 1 injection or that you need boosters or anything else then question which vaccination they are using. Both Vanguard and Nobivac are single injection 3 year vaccinations.

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to correct some of the above ... the 21 days isn't for going out of the UK, but the minimum time before you can return to the UK.

You can travel OUT of the UK as soon as your dog has had his rabies jab but ideally it is best to wait before going to give his system chance to build up the immunity to be able to fight rabies, so although the 21 days isn't required for going abroad, it's a good length of time to wait before doing so for the health of your dog.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another point.

If it's a pup the rabies jab can't be administered until he's at least 12 weeks old

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Shop around we paid £78 this week for ours however prices from other local vets went as high as £180 !!

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
When our dog had his rabies jab it was for one year only as he was only a few months old
The vet said the 3yr jab would be too much for him, his next jab was for 3yrs

Safe travels

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
As others said, phone around vets. The vet has to be registered to complete the passport ( most are but its a pain if you get the one that isn't, as happened to me in Hampshire, Gave the dogs their booster then told me she couldn't complete the passport. Had to drive 8 miles to their other branch to get the signature and stamp)
Cass had to have 2 rabies jabs because she was vaccinated as a pup. Holly just had the one as she was full grown when I found her.
You just need the 21 days to come back into the UK.
Always ask for the 3 year injection. Saves a lot of hassle and money over the years.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you can leave the country without anything its the getting back you need the passport for ive often thought it would probably be cheaper to have boosters done abroad

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When our dog had his rabies jab it was for one year only as he was only a few months old
The vet said the 3yr jab would be too much for him, his next jab was for 3yrs

Safe travels

One of mine had his at the earliest opportunity at just over 12 weeks.

That was a 3 year vaccination.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Same here, our Tazzy had hers at 4 months, Lily at 5 months, both 3 years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
you can leave the country without anything its the getting back you need the passport for ive often thought it would probably be cheaper to have boosters done abroad

When I lived in France I found it was cheaper to have boosters done in the UK. French vets would only give 1 year Rabies, might have changed now though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When I lived in France I found it was cheaper to have boosters done in the UK. French vets would only give 1 year Rabies, might have changed now though.
Yes for rabies it is every year in mainland Europe but can last up to 3 years in the UK (you have to ask the vet for the 3 year one as they may otherwise try to give the 1 or 2 year ones!). The reason for it being only 1 year abroad is probably due to the fact that they have a greater risk of rabies than we have here.

For the normal type of annual vaccinations they will more than likely be a fair bit cheaper abroad.

One thing I would NOT recommend is having both lots of vacs done at the same time as that will 'stress' the dog's immune system and could make them ill.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

Deffo a 1 year jab ..mind he wasnt alot bigger than my hand at the time...Tom being a chihuahua

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back